warhawk
5 years ago
I highly doubt Gutey is going to restrict his options to one or two players at one position with the #12 pick. My guess is he will let the draft unfold and if a highly rated player falls in his lap he will gladly take the opportunity. If not then trading back a few spots could be an option as well. This way they could package picks and move up from #30 and pick off a player they really like without giving up really anything.

Holding the number #30 pick sandwiched in between the #12 and #44 is huge. It greatly reduces the projected player pool available between #12 and #30 and again between #30 and #44.

The spacing of these picks allows for far more flexibility and greater clarity from the 1st pic on to the 3rd by cutting the speculation of what players will be available with the 2nd and 3rd pics essentially in half when normally they wait 32 times before it's their turn again.
I expect Gutey to nail this thing Thursday and Friday.

"The train is leaving the station."
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
5 years ago

#12 Devin White
#30 Noah Fant

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This. I would love this. We would instantly have one of the best ILB tandems in the NFL. I think one of our biggest needs in the draft is ILB as well. People are saying Devin White could be the next Patrick Willis. And getting Fant at 30 would be a steal.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Gary it is.
Mucky Tundra
5 years ago

I'm glad I have hip waders as the $#*! is getting deep in here.

First, Gute got Madison to return and hired Billy Turner, resolving the OL problem. Making the OL no longer a position in need.

Do you really think Bryan Bulaga is going to start and finish all 16 games this year? Do you really trust Jason Spriggs to backup Bulaga and Bahktiari? Do you trust Madison after being out of the game for a year? Drafting a future RT who can fill in at OG when needed this year and take over next year when Bulaga's contract runs out doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Also, protecting the QB is a priority in LaFleurs system:

“One thing with Matt,” said Ashland (Ohio) head coach Lee Owens, who gave LaFleur his first job as an offensive coordinator, “one of the biggest criteria in calling a play is whether we can protect our quarterback. Can we take care of our quarterback? If we can’t protect him, we’re not going to call it. If we have the change the launching point, we’ll change the launching point. If we have to change how quick we get it out, we’ll change how quick we get it out. We can’t get that guy hit. If you don’t get him hit, you’re going to score a lot of points.

“If they’re just better than you up front defensively, you better find ways to get extra blockers or get it out quicker or move where he’s throwing it from. Matt understands that. I think quarterbacks appreciate it when you understand that, and you don’t ask them to do things where they’re taking shot after shot.”

Second, trading GB's first 3 picks to get more lower quality players is beyond insane. The object is to add quality of the team, not to see how many average players can be accumulated.

You do realize in the scenarios me and wpr posted GB moves only 3 spots back from #12 to #15 and picks up a 3rd round pick? That would give GB two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and 2 3rd rounders. That's 5 picks in the top 100. This may come as a shock to you, but the higher rounds is where the better players go and there's plenty of quality in the 3rd round.

I'm so glad that none of you have anything to do with who GB drafts.

I could say the same of you

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
gbguy20
5 years ago
Here comes the insults
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Here comes the insults

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I lost interest when I read that Gutey got Cole Madison to report.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
5 years ago
Why does everybody think that Cole Madison is the answer to all of our problems? He was a 5th round pick....
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I'm glad I have hip waders as the $#*! is getting deep in here.

First, Gute got Madison to return and hired Billy Turner, resolving the OL problem. Making the OL no longer a position in need.

Second, trading GB's first 3 picks to get more lower quality players is beyond insane. The object is to add quality of the team, not to see how many average players can be accumulated. I'm so glad that none of you have anything to do with who GB drafts.

So many of you remind me of the monkey that put his hand through a tight hole in a coconut to grab a sweet snack from within. After grabbing the sweets his hand was too big to remove from the coconut. The coconut having been securely attached to a tree, trapped the greedy monkey as he refused to let go of the sweets. A native came along and killed the animal for his family diner. The point here is it is better to be satisfied with what you have and not let greed trap you in a less desirable position.

GB's greatest need at this time is for a TE. Most of the knowledgeable sports writers/commentators agree on this point. Following that, use the #30 pick to grab the best player available for either the Safety or the DE. Filling need with the best draft available player.

I'll be happy if the Packers get a good TE. The rest of the picks are not as important.

[what]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Smokey, what are you smoking? Cus it must be the good stuff! [rock]

Getting two OGs doesn't solve that the top two RT options are going into contract years and injury prone ... the fact that Gute seems to draft guys he brings in for visits and had some many higher thought of OTs come into visit mean he's most likely going to draft the position in the top 3 rounds.

Whomever thinks the greatest need is TE has fail to properly rank the defense, especially FS, that's CLEARLY the biggest need especially when you factor in muti-years (which teams do unlike the media) and 35 year old Tramon Williams is going into a contract year, they need another FS option (or two).

The biggest needs are
1) FS (only Tramon Williams there)
2a) OT (Bulaga and Spriggs are in contract years and injury prone)
2b) DL (lost Wilkerson, Daniels and Lowry are in contract years).

4*) * = because I think most people disagree with me on this and I could be mistaken

4*) power RB, LaFleur said his number one goal was to take pressure off the QB, #1 GOAL, so that means it's high priority! How does this scheme take pressure off the QB? Running the ball and short passes (especially short passes to the RB and slot guy (which I believe will be Graham a bit more than 50% of the time). So the RB is a very important factor in the head coaches #1 priority, and looking at the recent users of this scheme and how they have had success, it's been with power RBs as starters. And a verstility pass catching back-up, or one guy that can do both! If the Packers think a RB can do both at a high level and falls to the right spot, I could see them surprising fans and drafting a RB.

5) TE (because I believe we're going to be running a two TE set and Lewis is on a contract year and I believe Graham has some reoccurring injuries. But also because I think they need a smart slot guy and LaFleur is planning on running with two TEs.
6) ILB Cus Martinez is going into a contract year... though I believe they'll resign him and either Burks or Jones will step up as a coverage ILB and drop this one back down.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Why does everybody think that Cole Madison is the answer to all of our problems? He was a 5th round pick....

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Nobody thinks Cole Madison is the answer to the OL.

Draft position doesn't mean much. Mark Tauscher was something like 7th round, and more recently David Bakhtiari was a 4th round draft pick.

My best expectations for Cole are that he's a solid back up. If he's anything more, then that's a huge bonus, but I'm not expecting him to light the world on fire with pancakes.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (54m) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (2h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (2h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (2h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (2h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (2h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (5h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.