Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
As a counterpoint to this thread , I would like to pose a question:

What effect, if any, did Mike McCarthy's tentative and conservative playcalling have on our overall record last year? In other words, if he hasn't put the muzzle on Aaron Rodgers in the red zone or if he hadn't played for field goal position instead of pushing down the field, how many of those games (if any) would we have won?

Feel free to point out other kinds of coaching decisions you believe cost us games.

I have my own opinion, but I will save my analysis for later in order not to skew the conversation one way or the other.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
15 years ago
The fact that we led the NFL in first downs given up by penalty on defense and were 2nd in penalties and 1st in yards lost from penalties on offense is what doesn't work for me.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
We all questioned his playcalling at one point or another. But I don't know that it was more or less of an impact than some of the injuries and poor defense we played.

What if he had turned Aaron loose and he threw more picks?Then would we have said, if we played a little more conservative, would it have had it been like this?
TengoJuego
15 years ago

The fact that we led the NFL in first downs given up by penalty on defense and were 2nd in penalties and 1st in yards lost from penalties on offense is what doesn't work for me.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Ugh. The mental mistakes we made last season make my stomach turn.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Yes I thought Mike got soft in some places although he would firmly disagree with that. I also think the defense coaching staff on the whole wasn't getting it done and obviously right they are mostly all gone. If you could pin-point one crucial thing is that we couldn't get to the quarterback consistently regardless of personnel.

...and I mean Crosby missing those clutch kicks. I expected more... I think a lot of us did.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Stevetarded
15 years ago
as for playcalling, there were some situational things that could have done better but overall I think he handled a starting QB change better than most coaches do. I think that the offensive line shuffling hurt the team a lot. Having a more stable offensive line would have most likely made our running game (specifically short yardage) better and would have had a positive effect on the passing game and make playcalling much easier.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago
These are the ones that I think were handled poorly

2 mins to go and on their own 41 and he calls running plays..Shouldnt have done that..

Week 10 vs Minny- 28-27

1-10-GB 41 (2:15) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to MIN 40 for 19 yards (20-M.Williams).
Two-Minute Warning

1-10-MIN 40 (2:00) 25-R.Grant right guard to MIN 41 for -1 yards (93-K.Williams).

2-11-MIN 41 (1:19) 25-R.Grant up the middle to MIN 37 for 4 yards (69-J.Allen, 99-N.Harris).

3-7-MIN 37 (:36) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to MIN 34 for 3 yards (20-M.Williams).

Timeout #3 by MIN at 00:31.

4-4-MIN 34 (:31) 2-M.Crosby 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-6-D.Fros

1st and 10 on Panthers 14..over 3 minutes to go. 3 straight runs? This one ticked me off most I think...Rodgers had the best red zone stats and you run?

Week 13 vs Panthers- 35-31

1-14-CAR 14 (3:52) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at CAR 14 for 0 yards (90-J.Peppers). PENALTY on CAR-90-J.Peppers, Unnecessary Roughness, 7 yards, enforced at CAR 14.
1-7-CAR 7 (3:45) 32-B.Jackson left tackle to CAR 1 for 6 yards (52-J.Beason).
2-1-CAR 1 (3:01) 32-B.Jackson right tackle to CAR 1 for no gain (52-J.Beason, 95-C.Johnson).
3-1-CAR 1 (2:19) 30-J.Kuhn up the middle to CAR 1 for no gain (92-D.Lewis, 90-J.Peppers).
Two-Minute Warning
4-1-CAR 1 (2:00) 2-M.Crosby 19 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-6-D.Frost.

Down on Texans 22 with 3 minutes to go,just ran for 9 yards which was called back..Why not try it once again...Yes hindsight is 20-20 ,but it was 2/22 they had to know we were passing..Adn what happens? A 10 yard sack

Week 14 vs Texans 24-21

1-10-GB 16 (4:37) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass deep left to 80-D.Driver to HOU 25 for 59 yards (31-B.Harrison).
1-10-HOU 25 (3:46) 25-R.Grant left end to HOU 22 for 3 yards (98-A.Weaver, 91-A.Okoye).
2-7-HOU 22 (3:02) 25-R.Grant right tackle to HOU 13 for 9 yards (26-E.Wilson). PENALTY on GB-75-T.Moll, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at HOU 22 - No Play.
2-17-HOU 32 (2:56) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at HOU 41 for -9 yards (59-D.Ryans).
3-26-HOU 41 (2:21) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 86-D.Lee to HOU 38 for 3 yards (52-X.Adibi) [90-M.Williams].
Two-Minute Warning
4-23-HOU 38 (2:00) 7-J.Kapinos punts 35 yards to HOU 3, Center-61-B.Goode, downed by GB-53-S.Havner.

Then Bears

2 min warning again and 3 straight running plays? they had a time out left

Week 16 vs Bears 20-17

Two-Minute Warning
1-10-CHI 24 (2:00) 25-R.Grant right end to CHI 23 for 1 yard (96-A.Brown).
Timeout #3 by CHI at 01:54.
2-9-CHI 23 (1:54) 25-R.Grant right tackle to CHI 19 for 4 yards (93-A.Ogunleye).
3-5-CHI 19 (1:11) 25-R.Grant left guard to CHI 20 for -1 yards (44-K.Payne, 93-A.Ogunleye).
Timeout #2 by GB at 00:25.
4-6-CHI 20 (:25) 2-M.Crosby 38 yard field goal is BLOCKED (96-A.Brown), Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-10-M.Flynn, ball out of bounds at CHI 23.

longtimefan
15 years ago
Again hindsight being 20-20,but still few times 3 straight runs when down near red zone with plenty of time left on clock? And knowing Rodgers had the best red zone stats in the league?

I say if called correctly, 2 wins easily...
dfosterf
15 years ago

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Ugh. The mental mistakes we made last season make my stomach turn.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Who heard the comment by a former NFL GM on NFL network that penalties are a sign of an undisciplined football team? I reflected upon that. I think many of our mental mistakes are a result of individual players trying to do their respective jobs while lacking the talent and physicality to get the job done against their individual opponent(s) facing them at that particular moment, in that particular situation.

Some of it is due to the types of players we have (geared towards ZBS on the offensive line) aging, slowing CB's in the passing game (read AL Harris, here) Predictability in the 4-3 as run by us, injuries to what proved to be essential cogs in the gears, etc. I really don't fear a lack of discipline on a Fred Flintstone (stolen from PPO-I like it-lol) coached team.

I will look to the draft to see if there is any change in coaching philosophy on the offense. I will be looking to see if we are trying to get bigger on that O line. That would speak volumes to me, regardless of what may or may not come out of our head coach in an interview, for example.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
I wonder who was called for offensive holding the most on our team last season.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.