Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
As a counterpoint to this thread , I would like to pose a question:

What effect, if any, did Mike McCarthy's tentative and conservative playcalling have on our overall record last year? In other words, if he hasn't put the muzzle on Aaron Rodgers in the red zone or if he hadn't played for field goal position instead of pushing down the field, how many of those games (if any) would we have won?

Feel free to point out other kinds of coaching decisions you believe cost us games.

I have my own opinion, but I will save my analysis for later in order not to skew the conversation one way or the other.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
15 years ago
The fact that we led the NFL in first downs given up by penalty on defense and were 2nd in penalties and 1st in yards lost from penalties on offense is what doesn't work for me.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
We all questioned his playcalling at one point or another. But I don't know that it was more or less of an impact than some of the injuries and poor defense we played.

What if he had turned Aaron loose and he threw more picks?Then would we have said, if we played a little more conservative, would it have had it been like this?
TengoJuego
15 years ago

The fact that we led the NFL in first downs given up by penalty on defense and were 2nd in penalties and 1st in yards lost from penalties on offense is what doesn't work for me.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Ugh. The mental mistakes we made last season make my stomach turn.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Yes I thought Mike got soft in some places although he would firmly disagree with that. I also think the defense coaching staff on the whole wasn't getting it done and obviously right they are mostly all gone. If you could pin-point one crucial thing is that we couldn't get to the quarterback consistently regardless of personnel.

...and I mean Crosby missing those clutch kicks. I expected more... I think a lot of us did.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Stevetarded
15 years ago
as for playcalling, there were some situational things that could have done better but overall I think he handled a starting QB change better than most coaches do. I think that the offensive line shuffling hurt the team a lot. Having a more stable offensive line would have most likely made our running game (specifically short yardage) better and would have had a positive effect on the passing game and make playcalling much easier.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago
These are the ones that I think were handled poorly

2 mins to go and on their own 41 and he calls running plays..Shouldnt have done that..

Week 10 vs Minny- 28-27

1-10-GB 41 (2:15) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to MIN 40 for 19 yards (20-M.Williams).
Two-Minute Warning

1-10-MIN 40 (2:00) 25-R.Grant right guard to MIN 41 for -1 yards (93-K.Williams).

2-11-MIN 41 (1:19) 25-R.Grant up the middle to MIN 37 for 4 yards (69-J.Allen, 99-N.Harris).

3-7-MIN 37 (:36) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to MIN 34 for 3 yards (20-M.Williams).

Timeout #3 by MIN at 00:31.

4-4-MIN 34 (:31) 2-M.Crosby 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-6-D.Fros

1st and 10 on Panthers 14..over 3 minutes to go. 3 straight runs? This one ticked me off most I think...Rodgers had the best red zone stats and you run?

Week 13 vs Panthers- 35-31

1-14-CAR 14 (3:52) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at CAR 14 for 0 yards (90-J.Peppers). PENALTY on CAR-90-J.Peppers, Unnecessary Roughness, 7 yards, enforced at CAR 14.
1-7-CAR 7 (3:45) 32-B.Jackson left tackle to CAR 1 for 6 yards (52-J.Beason).
2-1-CAR 1 (3:01) 32-B.Jackson right tackle to CAR 1 for no gain (52-J.Beason, 95-C.Johnson).
3-1-CAR 1 (2:19) 30-J.Kuhn up the middle to CAR 1 for no gain (92-D.Lewis, 90-J.Peppers).
Two-Minute Warning
4-1-CAR 1 (2:00) 2-M.Crosby 19 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-6-D.Frost.

Down on Texans 22 with 3 minutes to go,just ran for 9 yards which was called back..Why not try it once again...Yes hindsight is 20-20 ,but it was 2/22 they had to know we were passing..Adn what happens? A 10 yard sack

Week 14 vs Texans 24-21

1-10-GB 16 (4:37) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass deep left to 80-D.Driver to HOU 25 for 59 yards (31-B.Harrison).
1-10-HOU 25 (3:46) 25-R.Grant left end to HOU 22 for 3 yards (98-A.Weaver, 91-A.Okoye).
2-7-HOU 22 (3:02) 25-R.Grant right tackle to HOU 13 for 9 yards (26-E.Wilson). PENALTY on GB-75-T.Moll, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at HOU 22 - No Play.
2-17-HOU 32 (2:56) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at HOU 41 for -9 yards (59-D.Ryans).
3-26-HOU 41 (2:21) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 86-D.Lee to HOU 38 for 3 yards (52-X.Adibi) [90-M.Williams].
Two-Minute Warning
4-23-HOU 38 (2:00) 7-J.Kapinos punts 35 yards to HOU 3, Center-61-B.Goode, downed by GB-53-S.Havner.

Then Bears

2 min warning again and 3 straight running plays? they had a time out left

Week 16 vs Bears 20-17

Two-Minute Warning
1-10-CHI 24 (2:00) 25-R.Grant right end to CHI 23 for 1 yard (96-A.Brown).
Timeout #3 by CHI at 01:54.
2-9-CHI 23 (1:54) 25-R.Grant right tackle to CHI 19 for 4 yards (93-A.Ogunleye).
3-5-CHI 19 (1:11) 25-R.Grant left guard to CHI 20 for -1 yards (44-K.Payne, 93-A.Ogunleye).
Timeout #2 by GB at 00:25.
4-6-CHI 20 (:25) 2-M.Crosby 38 yard field goal is BLOCKED (96-A.Brown), Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-10-M.Flynn, ball out of bounds at CHI 23.

longtimefan
15 years ago
Again hindsight being 20-20,but still few times 3 straight runs when down near red zone with plenty of time left on clock? And knowing Rodgers had the best red zone stats in the league?

I say if called correctly, 2 wins easily...
dfosterf
15 years ago

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Ugh. The mental mistakes we made last season make my stomach turn.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Who heard the comment by a former NFL GM on NFL network that penalties are a sign of an undisciplined football team? I reflected upon that. I think many of our mental mistakes are a result of individual players trying to do their respective jobs while lacking the talent and physicality to get the job done against their individual opponent(s) facing them at that particular moment, in that particular situation.

Some of it is due to the types of players we have (geared towards ZBS on the offensive line) aging, slowing CB's in the passing game (read AL Harris, here) Predictability in the 4-3 as run by us, injuries to what proved to be essential cogs in the gears, etc. I really don't fear a lack of discipline on a Fred Flintstone (stolen from PPO-I like it-lol) coached team.

I will look to the draft to see if there is any change in coaching philosophy on the offense. I will be looking to see if we are trying to get bigger on that O line. That would speak volumes to me, regardless of what may or may not come out of our head coach in an interview, for example.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
I wonder who was called for offensive holding the most on our team last season.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (2h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (18h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (18h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (18h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (18h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Mucky Tundra

3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.