Zero2Cool
2 years ago

This just in: a bunch of white guys from Wisconsin didn't realize racial slurs are offensive to non-white people. Having recently learned that racial slurs are in fact offensive, said white people are in turn offended that people take offense to racial slurs. These words weren't offensive to them or their exclusively white friends when they grew up in the (insert decade prior to 80's) so they don't understand why anyone would be offended by them now.

I swear to god, sometimes this forum is like an Onion article.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Whoa. What?? I'm not sure who this is aimed at. In fact, it feels uncalled for based on the posts I read. As for Onion, I'm not sure what that is so complimentary or?? I think Onion does fake articles. Never read it so not sure
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

This just in: a bunch of white guys from Wisconsin didn't realize racial slurs are offensive to non-white people. Having recently learned that racial slurs are in fact offensive, said white people are in turn offended that people take offense to racial slurs. These words weren't offensive to them or their exclusively white friends when they grew up in the (insert decade prior to 80's) so they don't understand why anyone would be offended by them now.

I swear to god, sometimes this forum is like an Onion article.

Just to be clear, that's not what I was saying at all.

I know racial slurs (and other words) can be offensive... and I'm cool with stop using them (mainly because I've never started) but I'm saying until one is exposed to them (or exposed to them in the negative way) one doesn't know the word is a racial slur.

Like I heard the terms redskins and monkey for decades, without ever hearing that they were racial slurs... as I wasn't exposed to them used in that context... and the context that I'm used to those words being used was not in a racial way.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

Whoa. What?? I'm not sure who this is aimed at. In fact, it feels uncalled for based on the posts I read. As for Onion, I'm not sure what that is so complimentary or?? I think Onion does fake articles. Never read it so not sure

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Onion is fake extremely satire articles, basically click bait to shock people and get people to spread it either as "truth" not realizing it's purely satire, or spread it as knowingly satire.

In this context, it's to spread it as "truth" not realizing how wrong they are...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

I know racial slurs (and other words) can be offensive... and I'm cool with stop using them (mainly because I've never started) but I'm saying until one is exposed to them (or exposed to them in the negative way) one doesn't know the word is a racial slur.

Like I heard the terms redskins and monkey for decades, without ever hearing that they were racial slurs... as I wasn't exposed to them used in that context... and the context that I'm used to those words being used was not in a racial way.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Sometimes, the way people jump on others -- it feels like there is a book on offensive terms that we're all expected to have read. And then read it again every two weeks to catch the updates.

I dunno, it just starting to feel more and more that we're not allowed to learn from a mistake, but rather be condemned and lose everything. Devin apologized and if it doesn't happen again, good. If it happens again, then there should be consequences.

We should just have Webster change the definition of these offensive terms. Then no one has to be offended by words. If it were only that simple.

Onion is fake extremely satire articles, basically click bait to shock people and get people to spread it either as "truth" not realizing it's purely satire, or spread it as knowingly satire.

In this context, it's to spread it as "truth" not realizing how wrong they are...

I'm not sure how that remotely applies to this forum.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Ah Cheesey, I can always count on you for a good old fashioned crazy uncle rant. It's like having thanksgiving all year long, except without the cranberry sauce.

Yup.and I can always count on you as the crazy know it all child that loves to THINK they are better then everyone, and smarter then everyone and loves to judge everyone else while ignoring their own obvious faults. Showing that they are the true racists, like spouting off about “white guys”. Like that’s NOT racist talk?
That crap offends ME.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago

Yup.and I can always count on you as the crazy know it all child that loves to THINK they are better then everyone, and smarter then everyone and loves to judge everyone else while ignoring their own obvious faults. Showing that they are the true racists, like spouting off about “white guys”. Like that’s NOT racist talk?
That crap offends ME.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Well done, I think you've worked out my original point. You complain that society at large is thin skinned, too easily offended and then go into a tizzy because someone says "white guys", because you're thin skinned and easily offended. This is what we generally call irony - hence the Onion reference.
blank
earthquake
2 years ago

Yes, that is an extremely fair and valid point. I know a lot of people simply haven't been exposed to racial slurs very often if they grow up in small towns or don't really know many people of color - or simply aren't close enough to POC to hear about the horrible shit random people have called them or said to them, and every POC has these stories.
blank
earthquake
2 years ago

Sometimes, the way people jump on others -- it feels like there is a book on offensive terms that we're all expected to have read. And then read it again every two weeks to catch the updates.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Nobody expects you to know or understand every racist word phrase, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to recognize the common ones like nigger, chink, gook, wetback, etc. Personally, I struggle to see how someone goes through life using a word like chink without realizing that it's a racist slur. I mean even if you've not heard these words in your day to day life, surely you've seen film, TV shows, read books, etc that use them?

Now, whether they used it with malicious intent is another thing, and I don't think Funchess did - so I don't have a problem with him as he immediately apologized and even from the context it was clear that he wasn't trying to put people down.

I dunno, it just starting to feel more and more that we're not allowed to learn from a mistake, but rather be condemned and lose everything. Devin apologized and if it doesn't happen again, good. If it happens again, then there should be consequences.

We should just have Webster change the definition of these offensive terms. Then no one has to be offended by words. If it were only that simple.

Unfortunately, words have meaning and power, but yes if only it were that simple.

I'm not sure how that remotely applies to this forum.

The Onion deals in irony and satire, there is a lot of irony in some of the responses in this thread.
blank
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Nobody expects you to know or understand every racist word phrase, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to recognize the common ones like nigger, chink, gook, wetback, etc. Personally, I struggle to see how someone goes through life using a word like chink without realizing that it's a racist slur. I mean even if you've not heard these words in your day to day life, surely you've seen film, TV shows, read books, etc that use them?

Now, whether they used it with malicious intent is another thing, and I don't think Funchess did - so I don't have a problem with him as he immediately apologized and even from the context it was clear that he wasn't trying to put people down.

Yes, I do agree that intent has to have some bearing in the levity of the issue. I actually didn't know wetback was offensive. A glimpse into the rock I've lived under. One day when I was in my late teens or early 20's, I came home saying that my pot light was broken. My dad looked confused and said "you smoking dope son?". The thing is, I had only heard it referred to as pot light from him and his friends and didn't know it was actually a dome light.

Unfortunately, words have meaning and power, but yes if only it were that simple.

They absolutely do.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Words and their meanings are subject to change and interpretation.

Howard Cosell used the phrase: "Look at that little monkey run!" a few times. He never meant it in a derogatory fashion. I called his grandchildren "little monkeys" so he meant it as a complement. Howard was a big advocate of human rights, equality and inclusion long before the rest of the nation. If someone said today they would be roasted alive.

When Zero made a comment about not knowing "redskins" is now considered a racist slur, it reminded me of a comic book I read as a kid. It was 3-4 pages long with about 12 panels on each page. It was the Lewis and Clark story (as they perceived it.) Being a comic it was barely even the highlights of their expedition. The only panel I can remember was the one where they were telling us that in order to search for the best route through the mountains they split up. The panel showed Clark being confronted by a Native American. The man was telling him that this was their territory and other Indians were not allowed. The narrative was because Clark had been in the wild for such a long time his skin was turning red. Clark then rolled up the sleeves of his shirt to prove he was White. To which the Indian told him he could pass through as a friend. Yeah I didn't believe it to be true even back then. What was once considered an acceptable way to teach children is not acceptable today. Instead of saying, "Look how far we have come". People are complaining that society was ever that way.

It is sort of like UW removing the memorial rock .

Last November, students testified at a meeting of the Campus Planning Committee that the continued presence of the rock was a daily reminder of the injustices, past and present, that students of color face on campus.

Taking the rock away does not remove racism from campus. At best it hides it. Dad used to call dark rocks, "N. heads". I asked him why. He said that is what they are called. I told him not any more. One by one these kinds of slurs are dying out. I never told my kids the story. My grandkids won't know it either. Removing the rock removes the pportunity to teach future generations what we once did was wrong.

The rock is a rare, large example of a pre-Cambrian era glacial erratic, likely over two billion years old. It had been designated as a monument on campus in honor of Thomas Chamberlin, a noted geologist who also served as president of the University of Wisconsin from 1887 to 1892.
The plaque honoring Chamberlin has been removed from the rock. The rock will no longer be referred to by this name but rather known simply as a glacial erratic. A new plaque honoring Chamberlin will be placed on Chamberlin Hall.
The rock has been moved to university-owned land southeast of Madison near Lake Kegonsa. The area is within a glacial till landscape.
“Moving the rock to this remote site prevents further harm to our community while preserving the rock’s educational and research value for current and future scholars,”

So the university keeps the rock but no one can see it. The teaching aspects of the rock have been greatly diminished. By removing the rock one of the things it does is it takes away the ability for someone to see the rock and realize it is interesting to them. They won't decide to change their major and get into the field of geology.

All of this is to end racism. I doubt very much those who are racist will no longer be racist because the rock is gone.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (1h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (6h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (6h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (22h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (23h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.