wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

For the first time since the 2015 draft, the Green Bay Packers did not select an offensive lineman. This also came on the heels of Brian Gutekunst taking three offensive linemen in three consecutive drafts.Ultimately this was because of the depth of both the tackle and interior offensive line …

Continue Reading @ paulbretl 

paulbretl wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
Hope Bakhtiari holds up.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago
Hope Bakhtiari holds up.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dfosterf
a year ago
Continuity and player development are two themes that come to mind. There is an argument that we just might be better off concentrating on the players we had/have than throwing yet more into that mix. Definitely in the we shall see department, but it gets a little tiring hearing the you can't have too many offensive line men when we have needs elsewhere. Not mad at all about skipping o line in this draft.

a year ago
Alas, quantity is not quality.  

Unless they are seeing things we cannot see,  we still don't have  right tackle, unless they are moving Jenkins there, and our right guard is MEH.

Perhaps a couple of the large prospects on Developmental Squad are showing incredible progress, but the guys they trotted out last year (on the right side) were nowhere good enough IMO

I hope I am wrong, or ignorant, or both.
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
a year ago
The 2022 Packer O- line was ranked #3 for the season.

Despite not having their 2-All Pro players at the beginning of the year..

There is the old saying , "an offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link"

Bach, Jenkins, Meyer, Runyan, Thom(or Nijma) seems to be the favorites going into training camp to be the starters .

Looking at that lineup I came to the conclusion that Runyan would be the weak link if there was one
Until I looked up his stats.
Runyan played 1051 snaps in 2022(most on the team).
He committed ONE penalty and gave up 3 sacks.
1 penalty in 1051snaps is incredible! 
As far as the 3 sacks, I'm wondering how many of these were due to Aaron holding the ball , looking to make a play.

With 12 O-linemen returning,  all with experience,  I can see why Gute decided to look at other positions. 

Whether Bach stays or goes after this coming year, Gute can go back to drafting O-linemen for the future next year.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
a year ago
First  I believe PFF, which I believe cite  to assert that the Packers have a number three offensive line, is flawed IMO.   My eyes tell me differently.  Our third down run efficiency is very poor with two excellent backs, which tells me we’re not getting any push from our linemen.

Second  you rightfully, suggest, “an offensive line is only as strong as it’s weakest link”.   
  1.  If I understand PFF's grading scale, if 4 of your 5 guys on any one play have great blocks, and one guy has a poor block,  your  team would have accumulated  a composite grade of  (per whatever the scales is) 8 out of 10...which is pretty good, except your QB was sacked or pressured.
  2. Our right tackle is our weak link at this point. If you look at Nijman’s grades, IIRC he was near the bottom of tackles in the league., and in many of those instances he was getting tight end help. Unless he takes a dramatic step up, he’s not the guy.
  3. Zach Tom does not have the body of work necessary to reasonably have any level of confidence in him as the right tackle?

So, yes, I like our left tackle ,left guard, center, our right guard is OK, but our right tackle is weak.

The optimism, you are asserting can only be maintained If you think somebody, one of the unknown guys, is going to step up and step in to that role and dramatically increase performance, or, as I said, in my previous posting, they moved Jenkins over to right tackle.

quantity is not quality

Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
a year ago
These guys were all hurt in 2021. They may or may not have been ready to start the year, but Jenkins and Nijman struggled on the right side after coming back from injury having played on the left side last year. 

Hopefully a year from surgery they'll have better mobility and with more training camp, they'll be up to speed.
beast
a year ago

The 2022 Packer O- line was ranked #3 for the season. 

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Maybe 3rd for pass blocking, but certainly not for run blocking nor overall. The OL was absolutely shit at times in run blocking and the last year of the season the Lions linemen ate the Packers lunch and stole their wallets, straight up kicking their arses.

Packers don't even have the #1 OL in the NFC North, there is no chance their #3 overall for the entire NFL.

Packers have Bakhtiari, Jenkins and a lot of questions. I do agree the Packers have a ton of depth, but the issue is quality starters.

Runyan seems to be able to focus on pass blocking.or run blocking and be good at one, but then struggles with the other.

Myers struggles at times with both.

Nijman, I like him, but coaches only play him when they have no other veteran options.

Tom, I actually think Tom has a ton of potential as a pass blocker and IF they let him stay focused at RT spot only, he can win the starting RT spot.

Newman, was absolutely horrible last year.

Patrick, was beyond absolutely horrible last year.

And the rest backed these guys up last year.

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
a year ago

3. GREEN BAY PACKERS (NO CHANGE)

Week 18 Starters:
LT David Bakhtiari
LG Elgton Jenkins
C Josh Myers
RG Jon Runyan
RT Yosh Nijman

Yosh Nijman was benched during the game against Detroit after giving up multiple sacks. He was replaced by rookie Zach Tom, who didn’t perform as well at right tackle as he has on the left side this season.

Seven different players made up almost all of the snaps for the Packers on the line this season. Only two of those seven players didn’t play multiple positions.

Best Player: David Bakhtiari
Injury and then an appendectomy limited him to just 597 snaps, but David Bakhtiari didn’t allow a sack or a hit all season and surrendered only 10 hurries on 339 pass-blocking snaps.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (10h) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (14h) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (16h) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (17h) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.