wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

For the first time since the 2015 draft, the Green Bay Packers did not select an offensive lineman. This also came on the heels of Brian Gutekunst taking three offensive linemen in three consecutive drafts.Ultimately this was because of the depth of both the tackle and interior offensive line …

Continue Reading @ paulbretl 

paulbretl wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
Hope Bakhtiari holds up.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago
Hope Bakhtiari holds up.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dfosterf
a year ago
Continuity and player development are two themes that come to mind. There is an argument that we just might be better off concentrating on the players we had/have than throwing yet more into that mix. Definitely in the we shall see department, but it gets a little tiring hearing the you can't have too many offensive line men when we have needs elsewhere. Not mad at all about skipping o line in this draft.

a year ago
Alas, quantity is not quality.  

Unless they are seeing things we cannot see,  we still don't have  right tackle, unless they are moving Jenkins there, and our right guard is MEH.

Perhaps a couple of the large prospects on Developmental Squad are showing incredible progress, but the guys they trotted out last year (on the right side) were nowhere good enough IMO

I hope I am wrong, or ignorant, or both.
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
a year ago
The 2022 Packer O- line was ranked #3 for the season.

Despite not having their 2-All Pro players at the beginning of the year..

There is the old saying , "an offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link"

Bach, Jenkins, Meyer, Runyan, Thom(or Nijma) seems to be the favorites going into training camp to be the starters .

Looking at that lineup I came to the conclusion that Runyan would be the weak link if there was one
Until I looked up his stats.
Runyan played 1051 snaps in 2022(most on the team).
He committed ONE penalty and gave up 3 sacks.
1 penalty in 1051snaps is incredible! 
As far as the 3 sacks, I'm wondering how many of these were due to Aaron holding the ball , looking to make a play.

With 12 O-linemen returning,  all with experience,  I can see why Gute decided to look at other positions. 

Whether Bach stays or goes after this coming year, Gute can go back to drafting O-linemen for the future next year.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
a year ago
First  I believe PFF, which I believe cite  to assert that the Packers have a number three offensive line, is flawed IMO.   My eyes tell me differently.  Our third down run efficiency is very poor with two excellent backs, which tells me we’re not getting any push from our linemen.

Second  you rightfully, suggest, “an offensive line is only as strong as it’s weakest link”.   
  1.  If I understand PFF's grading scale, if 4 of your 5 guys on any one play have great blocks, and one guy has a poor block,  your  team would have accumulated  a composite grade of  (per whatever the scales is) 8 out of 10...which is pretty good, except your QB was sacked or pressured.
  2. Our right tackle is our weak link at this point. If you look at Nijman’s grades, IIRC he was near the bottom of tackles in the league., and in many of those instances he was getting tight end help. Unless he takes a dramatic step up, he’s not the guy.
  3. Zach Tom does not have the body of work necessary to reasonably have any level of confidence in him as the right tackle?

So, yes, I like our left tackle ,left guard, center, our right guard is OK, but our right tackle is weak.

The optimism, you are asserting can only be maintained If you think somebody, one of the unknown guys, is going to step up and step in to that role and dramatically increase performance, or, as I said, in my previous posting, they moved Jenkins over to right tackle.

quantity is not quality

Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
a year ago
These guys were all hurt in 2021. They may or may not have been ready to start the year, but Jenkins and Nijman struggled on the right side after coming back from injury having played on the left side last year. 

Hopefully a year from surgery they'll have better mobility and with more training camp, they'll be up to speed.
beast
a year ago

The 2022 Packer O- line was ranked #3 for the season. 

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Maybe 3rd for pass blocking, but certainly not for run blocking nor overall. The OL was absolutely shit at times in run blocking and the last year of the season the Lions linemen ate the Packers lunch and stole their wallets, straight up kicking their arses.

Packers don't even have the #1 OL in the NFC North, there is no chance their #3 overall for the entire NFL.

Packers have Bakhtiari, Jenkins and a lot of questions. I do agree the Packers have a ton of depth, but the issue is quality starters.

Runyan seems to be able to focus on pass blocking.or run blocking and be good at one, but then struggles with the other.

Myers struggles at times with both.

Nijman, I like him, but coaches only play him when they have no other veteran options.

Tom, I actually think Tom has a ton of potential as a pass blocker and IF they let him stay focused at RT spot only, he can win the starting RT spot.

Newman, was absolutely horrible last year.

Patrick, was beyond absolutely horrible last year.

And the rest backed these guys up last year.

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
a year ago

3. GREEN BAY PACKERS (NO CHANGE)

Week 18 Starters:
LT David Bakhtiari
LG Elgton Jenkins
C Josh Myers
RG Jon Runyan
RT Yosh Nijman

Yosh Nijman was benched during the game against Detroit after giving up multiple sacks. He was replaced by rookie Zach Tom, who didn’t perform as well at right tackle as he has on the left side this season.

Seven different players made up almost all of the snaps for the Packers on the line this season. Only two of those seven players didn’t play multiple positions.

Best Player: David Bakhtiari
Injury and then an appendectomy limited him to just 597 snaps, but David Bakhtiari didn’t allow a sack or a hit all season and surrendered only 10 hurries on 339 pass-blocking snaps.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.