Zero2Cool
a year ago

Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry has taken plenty of criticism after a disappointing season from the Green Bay defense last year. And he says …

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith 

Michael David Smith wrote:

No shit, Joey
UserPostedImage
a year ago
He can't improve unless he realizes he needs to improve.

I give the man credit for understanding he has made (numerous) mistakes.

Now let's see whether he does improve.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a year ago

He can't improve unless he realizes he needs to improve.

I give the man credit for understanding he has made (numerous) mistakes.

Now let's see whether he does improve.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I should watch the video. I wonder if he turned back to Matt and said "Did I say it right coach?"

Sorry, I'm just bitter. I'm sick of the last 10-12 years of DB's pretending they are in wheel chairs trying to cover Usain Bolt and giving him 10 yard cushion.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
Simplified the scheme at the bye. Defensive resurgence after that. We'll see. Don't forget how reliable that defense was the year before. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago
Leonhard won't be available until next year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
a year ago
Tyler Dunne wrote in Go Long, regarding Joe Barry  (part of a multi-faceted article)

.The ice beneath Joe Barry’s feet seemed to crack after the Philadelphia Eagles steamrolled the Packers for 363 rushing yards, and Green Bay won four straight. He’ll need to bottle up whatever worked and make it stick for a full season.

As Barry said himself this week, “We don’t have time to waste 10 weeks.”

Especially with Iowa edge rusher Lukas Van Ness now entering the equation. It’s true the expectations wouldn’t change in Green Bay if the starting lineup was full of seventh-rounders but the Packers defense is loaded with premium draft capital.

“It starts with me,” Barry said at his press conference. “I have to do better. In order for this group to play better, I have to do better.”

Meanwhile, the Green Bay Packers boldly (and correctly) made the switch at quarterback. The Jordan Love Era is here. Yet, we cannot forget the expectations bestowed upon this Packers defense one year ago. With this healthy mix of vets and youth, it was fair to expect the defense to join the NFL’s elite. The fact that Green Bay boasted stars at each level — Kenny Clark, De’Vondre Campbell, Jaire Alexander — is why I picked them to win the NFC. Whoops. Instead, it took until December for Barry’s crew to complete the Rubik’s Cube. 

The best way to make Love’s life easier as the starter is to get more stops. That makes Barry just as important in Green Bay as Dorsey is in Buffalo. GM Brian Gutekunst made a point to note the team’s heavy investment in the defense after the draft, punctuating with “there are expectations there.”

Barry plainly stated that the Packers were too inconsistent last season. 

Week to week, it was hard to tell which Green Bay defense would show up.

The team’s DC didn’t want to say the team “simplified” its scheme down the stretch, choosing the words “always evolving.” Either way, players did seem to play faster in wins over Chicago (28-19), the Los Angeles Rams (24-12), Miami Dolphins (26-20) and Minnesota Vikings (41-17). The less thinking players need to do on the field is often for the best — it’s a fast game played by fast people. Maybe the coordinator did hit his groove. Holding Detroit to 20 points should’ve been enough to win in Week 18, too.

“We evolved last year into what worked for us,” Barry said. “But the key thing is you’ve got to do that early. You’ve got to do that now.”

Barry is right to point out that most games in the NFL are close, that four or five plays typically decide games. After reviewing every play from 2022 with a “fine-toothed comb,” he saw that the Packers struggled in situational football. Miss a tackle on a crucial third and long and, chances are, you’re losing that game. 

Dom Capers did plenty of good through his run as Green Bay’s coordinator. His group finished No. 1 in total defense in Year 1 (2009) and won a Super Bowl in Year 2 (2010), yet the Packers never got back to this level his next seven seasons. While it’s unfair to pin the blame on Capers alone — he probably would’ve loved a free-agent signing or two — his scheme obviously didn’t evolve enough to get the Packers over the hump in January.

Thus, Barry’s charge now. To evolve. 

Gutekunst drafted him the horses to win and, unlike his mentor, this GM is active in free agency. On paper, it’s another enticing group. Linebacker Quay Walker, last year’s 22nd overall pick, has All-Pro potential. Defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt, the 28th pick, improved down the stretch. December was far from murderer’s row but linebacker Isaiah McDuffie was also encouraged by the unit’s surge. He also pointed out the reality that three or four plays are always the difference.

A late bye week helped the Packers refresh. 

“No one just wrote the season off,” said McDuffie in our chat earlier this offseason. “Especially our leaders. We rallied together and believed we still had a chance in this thing. It's not over until it's absolutely over.

“We have leaders in every position group. We have leaders who are the voice of the defense. We have leaders who are the voice of the offense. There are so many great personalities. That’s another reason why I feel like we are able to do something late in the season because everyone was able to buy in. Everyone was able to be like, ‘We're not out of this thing. We can get better. We want to get better. We want to make the playoffs.’ Again, we fell short. But I felt like there was a lot of positivity that did come out of the season.”

It doesn’t take many unreasonable if’s to talk yourself into the Packers contending within a wide-open NFC. The young nucleus on offense has been growing together behind the scenes. This quarterback will be executing Matt LaFleur’s offense verbatim — receivers and backs are thrilled to all finally speak the same language. Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon remain one of the best 1-2 punches at running back. 

And, hey, how easily we forget the Minnesota Vikings won the division last season.

They’d love to enter this conversation.

© 2023 Tyler Dunne
548 Market Street PMB 72296, San Francisco, CA 94104 

Go Packers!!!!
beast
a year ago
Yeah the Packers defensive got better late, but that's also partly because the offenses they were facing got worse too...

But they did seem to change some things, like Clark to NT, Reed to UT (under tackle, 3 tech, penetrating DT role), and going into attack mode which I wonder might be why they added a bunch of penetrating DL, some questions in their run defense, but they should be able to push rush...

Also, why did the Safety play suddenly fall completely apart last year? I haven't been able to find anyone whom can answer this...

And Joe Barry and Jerry Gray had a disagreement and sounded like reporters were suggesting the DBs are leaking all kinds of negative news to the media about Barry (note, I don't think Gray wanted that, he seemed to want to keep everything in house). But Gray wanted out and got out...

My biggest issues with Barry, is was that last year, he was so incredibly slow to make adjustments ... it was like, he was afraid to adjust because he was worried the other team would go back to plan A... (which is a possibility), but you can't play scared nor play call scared. As offenses were basically (and sometimes were) on adjustment C before Barry did adjustment B.

Also, I don't remember this from Barry's rookie year either.... so something changed.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 months ago
Dunno if this is true, but I heard that in the last 9 games, the defense was top 5. If just calculated from there.
bboystyle
11 months ago
I dunno why much expectation is warranted for a failure of a DC. A DC who has been mediocre his whole coaching career. We have talent on defense. I refuse to believe its the players at this point. Hiring Joe Barry is on some Mike Sherman era type of deal. We should be doing better on our staff. 

I rather take a shot at a proven college coordinator then continue to hire failed coordinators in the NFL.

Maybe now GB will actually need coaches to coach instead of relying on the QB to bail them out 70% of the time. 
beast
11 months ago

I dunno why much expectation is warranted for a failure of a DC. A DC who has been mediocre his whole coaching career. We have talent on defense. I refuse to believe its the players at this point. Hiring Joe Barry is on some Mike Sherman era type of deal. We should be doing better on our staff. 

I rather take a shot at a proven college coordinator then continue to hire failed coordinators in the NFL.

Maybe now GB will actually need coaches to coach instead of relying on the QB to bail them out 70% of the time. 

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

His 2021 was better than his 2022...

Also, why do people always seem to believe we have the defensive players and it's just the coaching failing? The lack of talent on defense absolutely has had something to do with it at times, and not always the coaches.

Though, I do believe in 2022 coaching way a large part of it.... including Barry and Jerry Gray feuding over something and the DBs getting emotional involved and trashing Barry to the media and maybe not playing to 100% of their abilities, which I believe was subconscious not consciously, but supposedly after Gray (who's not a yeller) but once he yelled at them, they played a lot better.

But I'm also wondering why the Safety play fell off the face of the earth. I can't tell that they were asked to do anything different...

The assistant DB coach did get a new title as the S coach, but I think (I don't know, I just think) his duties stayed the same... just title and maybe paycheck went up.

Also, according to he news articles, once Barry listened to the defensive front to keep it simple, they started playing better.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.