nerdmann
11 months ago
The D held up all 2021. In 2022 they rated as top 5 if just count the second half of the season. 

So dude's unit has been sub-par 1/4th of the time. And when they did, they pulled it together. Everyone hates the dude.. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
11 months ago

In 2022 they rated as top 5 if just count the second half of the season. 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

In 2022, the Packers were undefeated, if just count the games they won... 

​​​Packers absolutely were NOT a top 5 defense unless you're cherry picking... and a number of games late had very injured OL or QB situations or in the case of the Rams, BOTH! You're just lying to yourself if you actually believe there were a legitimate top 5 defense.

But just looking the second half of the season...

Titans - injuries along OL
Eagles - Kill are defense
Bears - purposely tanking and crappy OL
Bye week
Rams - starting OL and QB that weren't even on their roster at the start of the season due to injuries
Dolphins - Packers couldn't stop them until their QB got a concussion and couldn't stop throwing INTs.

Vikings - Packers did do better against the Vikings after being absolutely embarrassed earlier in the season, by getting out of their normal Barry scheme.

Lions - man handled the Packers on both sides of the line, especially Lions defense on Packers OL, the Lions rushing attack was working great, but Lions kept passing the ball giving the Packers a chance.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
UserPostedImage
beast
11 months ago
The Packers offensive injuries are not currently be considered, because the Green Bay Packers defense (which is the subject of the thread) never played the Green Bay Packers offensive in an NFL regular seasons game.

I think the defense actually played better without CB Stokes and DL Lowry for the matter.

Missing Gary is a great point, but even without Gary, the Packers pass rush got better as the OLs they were facing were a lot worse.

​​​​​​And I'm mainly only being these points up because someone is cherry picking, trying to tell us we had a top 5 defense... otherwise, I had no reason to bring up the injuries of the opponents in those cherry picked games.

​​​​​​
And the Packers had a lot of adversity... starting with having Joe Barry struggling as defensive coordinator, Jerry Gary and Barry having a disagreement, which seemed to go to the players (or maybe started with the players and went over to the coaches, we don't know)... 

Barry made adjustments, but I argue was extremely extremely late in making adjustments.

Apparently the defensive front was asking Barry to keep is simply, and he wasn't, and then he finally listened and the defensive front got a lot better, which people say was to Barry finally listening (which might be the case, but I think weaker OLs were also part of it). And Gary and Lowry were injured shortly before the defensive front improved.  Also seemed like Clark was playing less and asked to do more NT role with Slaton also at NT, and Reed was switched to 3-tech with Wyatt backing him up.

But how do you lose your best pass rusher, and then your pass rush improves? Mainly worse OL... and maybe keeping it more simple so players can play faster. Also, what I've been saying for a while now, Clark is a natural NT... he can play the 3 tech, but Reed should of been at 3 tech and Clark at NT the entire time.

So why didn't Packers adversity come up? Because no one was trying to say the Packers were in the bottom 5 defense... if they did try to convince us of that, it surely would of come up. Instead, someone was trying to convince us the Packers defensive was top 5 defense.
​​​​​

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 months ago
Not my fault. I'm just going by the numbers. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
11 months ago

Not my fault. I'm just going by the numbers. 

What numbers? Please share these numbers and source of the numbers with us... thank you.
​​​​
Because now it seems to be implied it's factual information, when previously, it was just something heard...

You previously said

Dunno if this is true, but I heard that in the last 9 games, the defense was top 5. If just calculated from there.

So is this something you heard? Or are you "just going by the numbers"?

================

Edit: Added some stuff after research 

Here are some numbers, Packers were 17th in team defensive yardage in both points and yardage for the 2022 season according to ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc 

No chance I'm about to do this for every team, but just for the Packers in the last 9 games, they game up 198 points. Which is about 22 points per game. 

Now this is not apples to apples but compared to the full season, that would be 19th in the NFL... where again, Packers were 17th with 21.8 points per game.

So Packers actually did worse in points the last 9 games than the first 8 games, by 0.2 points and now top 16.

So for any chance of this rumor to be remotely true.... it would have to be either...

1) Top 5 defense in yardage ... which honestly IMO, team yardage doesn't matter, team points do.

Or 

2) A different period of time... like say the last 4 or 5 games where they did average under 18 points a game. While facing the Bears, Rams, Dolphins, Vikings and Lions.

Where the Bears tanked, Rams were injury destroyed, Dolphins QB couldn't be stopped until a concussion where he then couldn't stop throwing INTs.

On the bright side is the Vikings and Lions games... kept both of them under 21 points.

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
11 months ago

His 2021 was better than his 2022...

Also, why do people always seem to believe we have the defensive players and it's just the coaching failing? The lack of talent on defense absolutely has had something to do with it at times, and not always the coaches.

Though, I do believe in 2022 coaching way a large part of it.... including Barry and Jerry Gray feuding over something and the DBs getting emotional involved and trashing Barry to the media and maybe not playing to 100% of their abilities, which I believe was subconscious not consciously, but supposedly after Gray (who's not a yeller) but once he yelled at them, they played a lot better.

But I'm also wondering why the Safety play fell off the face of the earth. I can't tell that they were asked to do anything different...

The assistant DB coach did get a new title as the S coach, but I think (I don't know, I just think) his duties stayed the same... just title and maybe paycheck went up.

Also, according to he news articles, once Barry listened to the defensive front to keep it simple, they started playing better.

Originally Posted by: beast 

When the coach has to step in and tell u how to do your job mideseason, something tells me we have a very mediocre coordinator. Theres really nothing that Barry has done to show he is remotely good. He had one good year his first year and then needed to be told how to do his job half way through tje season last year. Im 100% sure this year we will be like the Packers of the old where our D will be bottom of ghe barrel. No one fears Joe Barry coached defenses
nerdmann
11 months ago

What numbers? Please share these numbers and source of the numbers with us... thank you.
​​​​
Because now it seems to be implied it's factual information, when previously, it was just something heard...

You previously said

So is this something you heard? Or are you "just going by the numbers"?

================

Edit: Added some stuff after research 

Here are some numbers, Packers were 17th in team defensive yardage in both points and yardage for the 2022 season according to ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc 

No chance I'm about to do this for every team, but just for the Packers in the last 9 games, they game up 198 points. Which is about 22 points per game. 

Now this is not apples to apples but compared to the full season, that would be 19th in the NFL... where again, Packers were 17th with 21.8 points per game.

So Packers actually did worse in points the last 9 games than the first 8 games, by 0.2 points and now top 16.

So for any chance of this rumor to be remotely true.... it would have to be either...

1) Top 5 defense in yardage ... which honestly IMO, team yardage doesn't matter, team points do.

Or 

2) A different period of time... like say the last 4 or 5 games where they did average under 18 points a game. While facing the Bears, Rams, Dolphins, Vikings and Lions.

Where the Bears tanked, Rams were injury destroyed, Dolphins QB couldn't be stopped until a concussion where he then couldn't stop throwing INTs.

On the bright side is the Vikings and Lions games... kept both of them under 21 points.

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

Its from one of these videos, I'll see if I can find it. The D was top 10 against the pass btw. 
nerdmann
11 months ago

When the coach has to step in and tell u how to do your job mideseason, something tells me we have a very mediocre coordinator. Theres really nothing that Barry has done to show he is remotely good. He had one good year his first year and then needed to be told how to do his job half way through tje season last year. Im 100% sure this year we will be like the Packers of the old where our D will be bottom of ghe barrel. No one fears Joe Barry coached defenses

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Imo, Matt was telling him what to do the year before. Under Pettine Matt couldn't do that. That's one of the reasons they chose Barry. 

I'm not saying Barry's the greatest, but I do believe he is doing better than people think. 
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (5m) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (5h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (7h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (7h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (9h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (10h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (10h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (10h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (10h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (21h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (23h) : damn those vikings
beast (23h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (23h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (23h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (23h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (23h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.