dd80forever
15 years ago

Is it being negative or looking for the logic behind the optimism?

I don't think Dom Capers can turn this defense around because I think their is a talent problem. I worry about our aging corners. Harris's decline has started and C-Wood is bound to slow down sometime. I don't know what Raji will bring to the table as a rookie or how Kampman will adjust. Will Hawk break out? Will Barnett be at 100% and improve on his past mistakes?

Their are lots of ????? on Defense. If you put a tarp over a leaky roof does it solve the problem or just make it look like you made an attempt to do so. Sanders was a god to most in 07 and now he's the fall guy. I think the talent, and lack of depth is the problem.

"longtimefan" wrote:

Then you are the type that sees it as glass half empty where as lot of us see it as half full

I say did the team address the issues with the D last year? On paper it sure as hell looks like they are trying to fix it, or would you say they arent?

"dd80forever" wrote:

Yes, they have addressed some of the problems. However, because they address things doesn't mean it's fixed. Some people are saying because it was addressed it fixed.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

I don't think Dom Capers can turn this defense around because I think their is a talent problem. I worry about our aging corners. Harris's decline has started and C-Wood is bound to slow down sometime. I don't know what Raji will bring to the table as a rookie or how Kampman will adjust. Will Hawk break out? Will Barnett be at 100% and improve on his past mistakes?

Their are lots of ????? on Defense. If you put a tarp over a leaky roof does it solve the problem or just make it look like you made an attempt to do so. Sanders was a god to most in 07 and now he's the fall guy. I think the talent, and lack of depth is the problem.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Then you are the type that sees it as glass half empty where as lot of us see it as half full

I say did the team address the issues with the D last year? On paper it sure as hell looks like they are trying to fix it, or would you say they arent?

"longtimefan" wrote:

Yes, they have addressed some of the problems. However, because they address things doesn't mean it's fixed. Some people are saying because it was addressed it fixed.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Half empty to you, half full to others..

Neither is right nor wrong at this point in time
doddpower
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

Sander's was a "God to most in 07." ?????? What? Are you serious?? I don't remember hardly anyone thinking Sander's was "God." I never really liked him and if you need any proof just see the 2007 NFC Championship game. He was rigid, un-creative, and conservative. Good guy, just not flexible enough.

I think you're giving life to something that doesn't exist there. I remember people giving him props when the defense played a good game, but the general consensus was fairly negative in the forums I attended.

Adding an innovative and experienced defensive coordinator along with some fresh young talent cannot help but at least slightly improve one of the lower ranked defenses in the league. That in itself wins another game or two over last year, not counting Rodger's and others learning curves improving.

I'm not saying there's not worries, but your above argument is just non-sense.
evad04
15 years ago

If you say it enough it must be true, huh?

Many of fans had problems with Ted Thompson long before the Brett Favre thing. For some I'm sure it strengthened the feeling but thier is a whole forum over at the other site that can easily be read, pre Brett leaving, to disspell the "people hate Ted because of Brett" thing.

"dd80forever" wrote:

I'm not disputing that people have had issues with Thompson since before the Favre situation. I am, however, contending that the level of spite/vitriol/cynicism/second-guessing that exists now directly correlates to the timeline of the Favre issue.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
dd80forever
15 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

Sander's was a "God to most in 07." ?????? What? Are you serious?? I don't remember hardly anyone thinking Sander's was "God." I never really liked him and if you need any proof just see the 2007 NFC Championship game. He was rigid, un-creative, and conservative. Good guy, just not flexible enough.

I think you're giving life to something that doesn't exist there. I remember people giving him props when the defense played a good game, but the general consensus was fairly negative in the forums I attended.

Adding an innovative and experienced defensive coordinator along with some fresh young talent cannot help but at least slightly improve one of the lower ranked defenses in the league. That in itself wins another game or two over last year, not counting Rodger's and others learning curves improving.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Are you serious? Everyone was in love with the Def. in 07.
blank
doddpower
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

Obviously our memories are different. LIke I said, I remember Sander's getting his props when he deserved them, but I remember many people being un-happy with him, ESPECIALLY of his refusal to give people help when they were getting beat.

I for one, was never on the Sander's bandwagon. Sorry man.

Are you serious? Everyone was in love with the Def. in 07.

"dd80forever" wrote:

evad04
15 years ago
I think people were impressed with our players. I don't think it was about Sanders. Which is why many people are excited right now. It can be reasonably argued that our defensive failings last year were due to a combination of injuries, lack of depth at previously deep positions, and a roster that wasn't able to get by with a predictable scheme (in part because guys like Jenkins were gone).

Now, we haven't taken the field yet but it seems like we've addressed some of those issues. So we can be excited. Christ almighty, it's the offseason. Should we be morose?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
porky88
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

I know every year is Super Bowl or bust to Packer fans.

I'll go on record in saying GB won't win the Super Bowl this year. Like to see it happen, but it more than likely won't.

Now, looking at the big picture, Green Bay can make the playoffs. What is wrong with that?

The focus remains on the defense which was horrible last year. Add Raji, Matthews, and a new staff lead by Dom Capers and maybe you get that defense to be average.

Why average?

An average defense + a top five caliber offense = probably 9 or 10 wins.

That probably sneaks you into the playoffs in the NFC via NFC North Title or wild card.

The Packers weren't getting blown out last year. They loss really one bad game against the Saints. Beyond that GB was in every game.

Green Bay loss to Chicago and Minnesota by a combined four points. They were literally two field goals away from going unbeaten in the division.

I think Capers can make up the five points. I think Capers will make a huge difference in close games like Carolina, Houston, Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Tennessee.

Green Bay won't win all the close games next year. That's not realistic, but Capers to me is a good enough coach to maybe make them go 500 in the close games.

It also sort of helps to see the players healthy.

Sanders was never popular and not even in 07. That's just ridiculous. Even the talk show radio guys were bickering about Sanders throughout 07 especially near the end of that season and most of them thought GB was going to the Super Bowl if they could avoid Dallas.
doddpower
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

[quote="dd80forever"]Are you serious? Everyone was in love with the Def. in 07.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Obviously our memories are different. LIke I said, I remember Sander's getting his props when he deserved them, but I remember many people being un-happy with him, ESPECIALLY of his refusal to give people help when they were getting beat.

I for one, was never on the Sander's bandwagon. Sorry man.
obi1
15 years ago

A Rodge at 100% and another year mature bids for a strong season.

A Rodge gets hit and is out for the year... We may be looking at the LAST year being a GOOD year.

Having said that, I am a bit more optimistic about this year because of his maturity. IF he can become the team leader through his maturity, we may have in him what Favre lacked... The DISCIPLINE!

Rodgers will make less mistakes this year and that bodes well for the Pack.

"dhazer" wrote:

So your saying if we have a good year its because of Rodgers? If it's a bad year it's because we didn't have him? I was just looking for clarification.

"obi1" wrote:

.I believe the QB holds the pulse of the team's OFFENSE In that position, I don't see a lot of depth behind him so I think what I think.

Think about it. What do you think would happen if he was out? Do we have the luxury of McMahon or a Bono? How about Detmer and Brunell? Bratkowski? We have 2 VERY untested back ups...
blank