dd80forever
14 years ago
My feelings exactly, Dave.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/07/02/sports/00myers.txt 

After listening to a seemingly endless barrage of opinions about Brett Favre and his apparent desire to play quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, five things have become abundantly clear.

No. 1: Favre really wants to play. The fact hes willing to endure the never-ending parade of ESPN squatters/reporters living outside his home says as much about his determination as his willingness to undergo surgery.

No. 2: The Vikings really want Favre to play, too. Minnesota head coach Brad Childress realizes as well as anybody that at 39 years old or 59 years old, Favre is still better than what they have with the two-headed quarterbacking monster that is Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson. Childress also is smart enough to realize that much of his job security is tied to the performance of his quarterback. Given the recent performance of Minnesota QBs, if he doesnt land Favre, it might not be a bad idea for Childress to keep that North American Van Lines number handy.

And lets not forget Favres ability to sell a team jersey. Its hardly a coincidence that the Packers souvenir shop sales fell off by millions of dollars last year after their ugly divorce with Favre. You can imagine the Vikings would be very interested in cashing in on Favres ability to connect with consumers almost as much as his ability to connect with receivers.

Bottom line, if you can put butts in the seats and money in the till there is a spot for you on an NFL roster.

No. 3: The NFL would really like to see Favre in Minnesota. Not only would his playing for the Packers biggest rival create great storylines for the media to run with, it will help create great revenue streams for the league to run with.

In addition to selling tickets, Favre in purple will drive TV ratings locally and nationally which in turn drive advertising rates. And in the NFL as in most businesses the bottom line is the bottom line.

No. 4: There are plenty of reasons why Brett Favre should consider walking away from the NFL. First and foremost is his health.

As someone who has been 39 years old before himself, I can assure you at Favres age there are many things other than cereal that go snap, crackle, pop. In an ultraviolent game that is played at a dizzying speed, the physical limitations of an aging body are a very big deal, especially when the aging body in question is your own.

On a more positive note, hes already won a Super Bowl, was named league MVP three consecutive years and holds most of the NFLs significant passing records. In other words theres not a lot left to accomplish.

No. 5: Worrying about protecting his legacy isnt nor should it be a valid reason for Favre to stop playing the game he loves.

His legacy is just that. His. Its care or lack thereof is his business. Its not for snarky pundits (myself included), other players or fans to decide how Favre should protect our memories of his playing days.

There also has been a glaring lack of honesty in the discussion about his legacy. Those who claim to be concerned about how Favre is remembered in fact appear to be most concerned about having to see him play for the hated Vikings.

While the image of Favre as a Viking is understandably an upsetting one, the feelings those people are experiencing are anger and resentment and should not be confused with concern or a sense of caring, and frankly are beneath the great tradition of Green Bay Packers fans.

If Favre wants to continue his career and still has the ability to do so who among us has the chutzpa to say he shouldnt?

Truth be told, if seeing Favre play for Minnesota destroys our memories of his career, it says more about us than it does about him.
blank
IronMan
14 years ago
I'm predicting 200 replies before it is locked.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
That's a pretty good article, really. Only thing that I can say is that he could've played for the Jets instead of weezling his way out of his contract with them, so it's pretty obvious that he doesn't just want to play, but that he wants to play for the Vikings.

Again, I haven no problem with that, if that's what he wants to do, go ahead. Like the article states, it's his legacy, not ours. Although it is a shame that it has to end like this from a fans' perspective.
dd80forever
14 years ago

Although it is a shame that it has to end like this from a fans' perspective.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Yes but as the end of the article states

Truth be told, if seeing Favre play for Minnesota destroys our memories of his career, it says more about us than it does about him.

blank
DGB454
14 years ago
I'm far beyond caring what Favre does with his legacy. To each his own.
Do what you have to do and don't cry about it if it turns out bad or gloat if it turns out good. In the end he is just another cog in the machine.
dingus
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Which is one man's opinion,which is all any of this BS boils down to. If he plays, good luck to him, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan and he's no longer on the team.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago

"dingus" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Which is one man's opinion,which is all any of this BS boils down to. If he plays, good luck to him, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan and he's no longer on the team.

GREAT post Dingus!
I LOVE it when some guy writes something that supports ONE MAN'S view, and some make it like it's gospel. But when someone posts an article from the OTHER side, the same people will blast the writer, saying "What does HE know???"
Me, i don't give a rodent's rectum if BF plays for the Queens or not. If it was JUST that he wanted to play, he would have fought to stay in NY, right? After all, he had a year under his belt with them and SHOULD be able to play better then he did last year. But we ALL know that if we are honest, the MAIN reason he wants to play with Minn is to TRY to stick it to the Packers. I say.....bring it on! I hope he DOES play for them. I'd like to see him throw up some INT's to our DB's and LBs.
PLEASE play Brett!!!! PLEASE!!!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I want my stuff read, I know, I'll write about Brett Favre! Yay, call me creative an intuitive! Way to break the barriers of the unsead, chap.

BUT, I do agree, its his legacy, he can do as he pleases with it, after all, HE created it by himself.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Me, i can forgive him for playing for the Queens. I STILL want to see the fences mended and him back here when his number is retired.
He's ONLY human.
Of course i hope we kick his wrinkly old butt!!!LOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Orygunfan76
14 years ago
Brent uh who.......Meh.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (23h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (23h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.