Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Former Chicago Bears tight end and coach Mike Ditka says hell probably catch some flak for saying this, but hes picking the Green Bay Packers to win the NFC North this season.

Forget about Ditkas strong ties to the Bears, or that he owns two restaurants in Chicago and does a lot of business with Bears fans. As always, Ditka calls it the way he sees it, and if someone doesnt like it, too bad.

Im not politically correct, Ditka said this week in a telephone interview from Chicago. I dont try to be. I speak my piece.

Ditka gives motivational speeches around the country and will appear at the Meyer Theatre in Green Bay on Tuesday night. But he has a warning for those in attendance: People who say dont talk about religion and politics, they got the wrong guy because Im going to bring it up somewhere in there because I think its important.

Ditka will also talk with authority about achieving success. As a Pro Football Hall of Famer and one of only two men to win Super Bowl rings as a player, assistant coach and head coach, Ditka comes with glowing credentials.

He doesnt consider Green Bay enemy territory, even though he was one of the Packers fiercest rivals.

The greatest franchise I ever played against was the Packers under (Vince) Lombardi, he said. They were great guys. We played hard. It was based on respect.

The only problem Ditka had with the Packers occurred in the 1980s when Forrest Gregg was head coach. The two carried on a heated rivalry. At times it turned ugly, and Ditka and Gregg havent spoken since.

I think the game of football is a great game, Ditka said. Its competition, but when you go outside the rules and take cheap shots, then it ceases to be competition. I played against (Ray) Nitschke and we had wars. I mean hed try to kill me and Id try to kill him, but yet it was all within the rules.

But against Greggs Packers, it was different.

The games a physical game, but when you pick up the quarterback and slam him down on his head, theres no need for it, Ditka said.

The reference was to the Packers Charles Martin injuring Jim McMahon with a flagrant late hit in a 1986 game that ended the Chicago quarterbacks season. Some say the cheap shot cost the Bears a second straight Super Bowl title.

It didnt help, lets put it that way, Ditka said.

Theres no question Ditka possesses an old-school mentality and charm. He still calls the Packers division the NFC Central. In talking about his life, he references Frank Sinatra: That song (he) sang was pretty good: Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again too few to mention.'"

He doesnt agree with the Minnesota Vikings letting Brett Favre decide to come out of retirement in the middle of training camp.

I wouldnt have allowed it, but thats me. It doesnt make me right, Ditka said. Lombardi wouldnt have allowed it. (Tom) Landry wouldnt have allowed it. Do you want to keep going? We could go on forever. A lot of guys wouldnt have allowed it, but you know, they made some concessions to get him in there.

Ditka, who is as an NFL analyst for ESPN, said he loves and respects Favre but isnt convinced the veteran quarterback will put the Vikings over the top.

I think everybody is picking them to win the division, he said. Im not doing that. I picked the Packers.

And then he adds: Ill probably get in trouble (for that).

Maybe in Chicago. But those words should elicit a warm welcome in Green Bay.

How the hell does this rate? Former HC of a rival thinks were good to win NFC North, but our very own dhazer doesn't think so?? 😛
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Just predictions.

I think all talent evaluators believe that this is a three team race. To discount anyone of those three teams as potential division winners or playoff contenders is just plain foolish in my opinion.

I'll say it again and that's Green Bay is two successful field goals away in the closing seconds to going 6-0 in the division.

Packer fans shouldn't need Mike Dikta to get excited about 2009. These three teams are close.
IronMan
14 years ago
Ditka, Ditka, Polish sausage, Bulls, Ditka, Ditka.

UserPostedImage
14 years ago
i like Ditka. always respected the guy even when i had to hate him.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

packersfan99
14 years ago
Ditka was a really good player. But I even when he saying we are the team to beat. I don't really believe he is a good evaluator or even an average evaluator. I also believe we are going to be on the race, but he saying it, don't have too many value to me.
blank
dhpackr
14 years ago
wow, see now i think it is strange to see this. i guess he really likes GB in 2009. I gotta say, they look really good.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
nyrpack
14 years ago
hes always been a guy speaking his mind, gotta respect that !!
jimmy b.
kobe16
14 years ago
i agree with ditka
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
I found a very interesting read about Ditka's famous trade to acquire Ricky Williams. For those of you that don't remember he traded away 8 draft picks to move up to get Ricky Williams. Everyone laughed but from this article after a few years makes it seem like it was a steal for the Saints.

By trading away eight draft picks, the Saints acquired more than $12 million in cap space. It was as if you downsized to a lesser house and subsequently had extra money to upgrade your new home into a small palace. That cap space enabled the Saints to go on a spending spree that allowed them to sign defensive tackle Norman Hand, receivers Joe Horn and Willie Jackson, middle linebacker Charlie Clemons, outside linebacker Darrin Smith, cornerback Fred Thomas, punter Toby Gowin and quarterback Jeff Blake.

It was interesting to read.

I was actually going to say how can you listen to a guy that traded away his entire draft plus some of the following year for a guy. Oh Well thats thrown out the window lol

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_47_225/ai_80680563/ 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Yup....the guy made a bad move.
Thus, anything he says HAS to be wrong, correct?
Makes ALOT of sense. (not)

Ditka has been around football a LONG time. To me, that means his opinion matters. Those that have been around football a long time who pick the Vikings or Bears matter too.

In the end, ALL that really matters is which team actually WINS it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.