Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Former Chicago Bears tight end and coach Mike Ditka says hell probably catch some flak for saying this, but hes picking the Green Bay Packers to win the NFC North this season.

Forget about Ditkas strong ties to the Bears, or that he owns two restaurants in Chicago and does a lot of business with Bears fans. As always, Ditka calls it the way he sees it, and if someone doesnt like it, too bad.

Im not politically correct, Ditka said this week in a telephone interview from Chicago. I dont try to be. I speak my piece.

Ditka gives motivational speeches around the country and will appear at the Meyer Theatre in Green Bay on Tuesday night. But he has a warning for those in attendance: People who say dont talk about religion and politics, they got the wrong guy because Im going to bring it up somewhere in there because I think its important.

Ditka will also talk with authority about achieving success. As a Pro Football Hall of Famer and one of only two men to win Super Bowl rings as a player, assistant coach and head coach, Ditka comes with glowing credentials.

He doesnt consider Green Bay enemy territory, even though he was one of the Packers fiercest rivals.

The greatest franchise I ever played against was the Packers under (Vince) Lombardi, he said. They were great guys. We played hard. It was based on respect.

The only problem Ditka had with the Packers occurred in the 1980s when Forrest Gregg was head coach. The two carried on a heated rivalry. At times it turned ugly, and Ditka and Gregg havent spoken since.

I think the game of football is a great game, Ditka said. Its competition, but when you go outside the rules and take cheap shots, then it ceases to be competition. I played against (Ray) Nitschke and we had wars. I mean hed try to kill me and Id try to kill him, but yet it was all within the rules.

But against Greggs Packers, it was different.

The games a physical game, but when you pick up the quarterback and slam him down on his head, theres no need for it, Ditka said.

The reference was to the Packers Charles Martin injuring Jim McMahon with a flagrant late hit in a 1986 game that ended the Chicago quarterbacks season. Some say the cheap shot cost the Bears a second straight Super Bowl title.

It didnt help, lets put it that way, Ditka said.

Theres no question Ditka possesses an old-school mentality and charm. He still calls the Packers division the NFC Central. In talking about his life, he references Frank Sinatra: That song (he) sang was pretty good: Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again too few to mention.'"

He doesnt agree with the Minnesota Vikings letting Brett Favre decide to come out of retirement in the middle of training camp.

I wouldnt have allowed it, but thats me. It doesnt make me right, Ditka said. Lombardi wouldnt have allowed it. (Tom) Landry wouldnt have allowed it. Do you want to keep going? We could go on forever. A lot of guys wouldnt have allowed it, but you know, they made some concessions to get him in there.

Ditka, who is as an NFL analyst for ESPN, said he loves and respects Favre but isnt convinced the veteran quarterback will put the Vikings over the top.

I think everybody is picking them to win the division, he said. Im not doing that. I picked the Packers.

And then he adds: Ill probably get in trouble (for that).

Maybe in Chicago. But those words should elicit a warm welcome in Green Bay.

How the hell does this rate? Former HC of a rival thinks were good to win NFC North, but our very own dhazer doesn't think so?? 😛
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Just predictions.

I think all talent evaluators believe that this is a three team race. To discount anyone of those three teams as potential division winners or playoff contenders is just plain foolish in my opinion.

I'll say it again and that's Green Bay is two successful field goals away in the closing seconds to going 6-0 in the division.

Packer fans shouldn't need Mike Dikta to get excited about 2009. These three teams are close.
IronMan
14 years ago
Ditka, Ditka, Polish sausage, Bulls, Ditka, Ditka.

UserPostedImage
14 years ago
i like Ditka. always respected the guy even when i had to hate him.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

packersfan99
14 years ago
Ditka was a really good player. But I even when he saying we are the team to beat. I don't really believe he is a good evaluator or even an average evaluator. I also believe we are going to be on the race, but he saying it, don't have too many value to me.
blank
dhpackr
14 years ago
wow, see now i think it is strange to see this. i guess he really likes GB in 2009. I gotta say, they look really good.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
nyrpack
14 years ago
hes always been a guy speaking his mind, gotta respect that !!
jimmy b.
kobe16
14 years ago
i agree with ditka
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
I found a very interesting read about Ditka's famous trade to acquire Ricky Williams. For those of you that don't remember he traded away 8 draft picks to move up to get Ricky Williams. Everyone laughed but from this article after a few years makes it seem like it was a steal for the Saints.

By trading away eight draft picks, the Saints acquired more than $12 million in cap space. It was as if you downsized to a lesser house and subsequently had extra money to upgrade your new home into a small palace. That cap space enabled the Saints to go on a spending spree that allowed them to sign defensive tackle Norman Hand, receivers Joe Horn and Willie Jackson, middle linebacker Charlie Clemons, outside linebacker Darrin Smith, cornerback Fred Thomas, punter Toby Gowin and quarterback Jeff Blake.

It was interesting to read.

I was actually going to say how can you listen to a guy that traded away his entire draft plus some of the following year for a guy. Oh Well thats thrown out the window lol

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_47_225/ai_80680563/ 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Yup....the guy made a bad move.
Thus, anything he says HAS to be wrong, correct?
Makes ALOT of sense. (not)

Ditka has been around football a LONG time. To me, that means his opinion matters. Those that have been around football a long time who pick the Vikings or Bears matter too.

In the end, ALL that really matters is which team actually WINS it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.