Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Donald Driver will make history on Sunday when he catches his first pass against the Detroit Lions.

He will become the all-time leading receiver in the 90-year history of the Green Bay Packers.

Accomplishments like that arent supposed to happen to a lowly seventh-round draft choice. No one coming from such humble roots has achieved more in a Packers uniform.

When he makes that historic 596th catch to surpass Sterling Sharpe, officials will give the ball to the Packers to save for Driver, and an announcement will be made over the public address system, but the game will not be stopped.

I dont want to make a big deal out of it, Driver said. My biggest thing is we have to win the game.

What Driver deserves is 70,000 fans giving him a standing ovation, fireworks going off, cannons sounding and a flyover above Lambeau Field.

The Packers couldnt find a better player to represent them. His combination of talent, heart and class is rare in the NFL.

Other more highly touted receivers have come and gone, but no one has stood the test of time like Driver in Packers lore.

Oh my gosh, I think anytime you say all-time in the history of the Green Bay Packers, regardless of the category, I think that speaks volumes, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the significance of Drivers record.

The tradition and the history of the Green Bay Packers, the players that have played before, the players that are here, I think it speaks volumes about Donalds performance, and even more so as a person, the way he goes about his business.

McCarthy was the Packers quarterbacks coach in 1999 when Driver was drafted mostly as an afterthought with the 213th overall pick. He was buried on the depth chart behind players like Dee Miller, Zola Davis and Jahine Arnold. Who would have believed that someday he would catch more passes as a Packer than players like Don Hutson, James Lofton and Sharpe?

I would have never predicted it in a million years, Driver said. If someone had said youre going to make the team, youre going to be the all-time receiver for the Packers, you would have never thought that would happen.

In April 1999, then-General Manager Ron Wolf talked to Drivers agent about signing him as a free agent. When told by the agent that Driver was looking for a signing bonus of around $15,000, Wolf changed his strategy.

As Driver recalls: (Wolf) said, Shoot, we might as well draft the kid and give him draft pick money. So, thats the reason they drafted me.

It didnt matter to Driver how he arrived in Green Bay. He was thankful for a chance and determined to make the most of it.

I came in and remember talking to Ron Wolf and told him that I wasnt going to let him down, Driver said. Ron gave me the opportunity. I havent let him down yet.

Driver caught only 37 passes in his first three seasons combined, so there was no indication he would make a dent in the Packers record book. Whats remarkable about his career path is that when most NFL players start declining near age 30, Driver was only beginning to peak.

Over the past five seasons since turning 29, Driver has averaged 84 catches and 1,157 yards per year. He has remained a fixture in the starting lineup for the past eight years, even though the Packers have drafted five receivers in either the first or second rounds during that span.

Driver plays with a chip on his shoulder, which might help explain his success.

You go in every year and people tell you that you cant do this, you cant do that, said Driver, a three-time Pro Bowl participant and six-time 1,000-yard receiver. I love criticism. So when people tell me I cant do something, I come back and prove people wrong. Thats just kind of how I live my life on a day-to-day basis. If you tell me I cant do it, believe me, Ill find a way to do it.

No one will outwork Driver, who stays in tip-top shape year-round.

Hes a lot bigger, McCarthy said in describing Drivers development over the past decade. Thats what I remember, how light he was when he came in.

He was definitely undersized, but what hes done with his body

Besides his tremendous leaping ability he high jumped 7 feet, 6 inches in college and work ethic, Drivers humility sets him apart.

Asked about his secret to success, Driver replied: Keeping God first in my life, and my family. I play the game for them and God. Thats it. Every time I step on that field, he keeps me walking off. If you look at me, Ive taken a lot of big shots in my career and been able to get up and smile, go back home and give my wife and kids a hug.

Tonight, Drivers wife Betina, his son Cristian and daughter Christina will greet the most prolific pass catcher in Packers history. Only then, according to Driver, will it dawn on him what he has accomplished.

I think when I get home, it will probably hit me then, he said.

UserPostedImage
tromadz
14 years ago
Driver is kind of a big deal.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
No one deserves it more than Donald.

Driver is kind of a big deal.

"tromadz" wrote:

Dulak
14 years ago
I think they should have a big celebration with lots of fanfare right then and there. Well for maybe a minute or 2.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
We should have a prepared congrats video from Sterling prepared for the moment. When you look at it, this is a huge feat for Driver.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
When DD retires(in another 10 years!!!),ok maybe a little sooner, he should be made part of The Packer coaching staff immediatley.

Let him continue teaching the young guys how to make it in The NFL, doing it with hard work, dedication, and A LOT OF CLASS!!!

Packers need some heros from this current roster, I sure the hell would stop the game and give DD his dues.

Like he said winning is more important, hopefully later this year The Packer organization can celebrate this record.!!!

How about in 3 weeks when that Purple team comes to town!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

When Donald Driver retires(in another 10 years!!!),ok maybe a little sooner, he should be made part of The Packer coaching staff immediatley.

Let him continue teaching the young guys how to make it in The NFL, doing it with hard work, dedication, and A LOT OF CLASS!!!

Packers need some heros from this current roster, I sure the hell would stop the game and give Donald Driver his dues.

Like he said winning is more important, hopefully later this year The Packer organization can celebrate this record.!!!

How about in 3 weeks when that Purple team comes to town!!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Screw Brett's marketing deal. Give the 20 million to Driver. We have a QB for that role already.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
rodgehodge
14 years ago
Apparently Driver just had his 600th reception, the first packer ever to reach that mark. Is that surprising to anyone else? Not that DD got 600 receptions, he's been a fantastic player for us, but that he's the first packer receiver to reach 600?
blank
rodgehodge
14 years ago
I just went and read the other post by Zero about Driver breaking Sterling Sharpe's record. Boy do I feel like an ass.
blank
Blitz
14 years ago
Don't worry about it. Bump this up & maybe a mod can merge it into Zero's thread.
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (23h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.