Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Donald Driver will make history on Sunday when he catches his first pass against the Detroit Lions.

He will become the all-time leading receiver in the 90-year history of the Green Bay Packers.

Accomplishments like that arent supposed to happen to a lowly seventh-round draft choice. No one coming from such humble roots has achieved more in a Packers uniform.

When he makes that historic 596th catch to surpass Sterling Sharpe, officials will give the ball to the Packers to save for Driver, and an announcement will be made over the public address system, but the game will not be stopped.

I dont want to make a big deal out of it, Driver said. My biggest thing is we have to win the game.

What Driver deserves is 70,000 fans giving him a standing ovation, fireworks going off, cannons sounding and a flyover above Lambeau Field.

The Packers couldnt find a better player to represent them. His combination of talent, heart and class is rare in the NFL.

Other more highly touted receivers have come and gone, but no one has stood the test of time like Driver in Packers lore.

Oh my gosh, I think anytime you say all-time in the history of the Green Bay Packers, regardless of the category, I think that speaks volumes, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the significance of Drivers record.

The tradition and the history of the Green Bay Packers, the players that have played before, the players that are here, I think it speaks volumes about Donalds performance, and even more so as a person, the way he goes about his business.

McCarthy was the Packers quarterbacks coach in 1999 when Driver was drafted mostly as an afterthought with the 213th overall pick. He was buried on the depth chart behind players like Dee Miller, Zola Davis and Jahine Arnold. Who would have believed that someday he would catch more passes as a Packer than players like Don Hutson, James Lofton and Sharpe?

I would have never predicted it in a million years, Driver said. If someone had said youre going to make the team, youre going to be the all-time receiver for the Packers, you would have never thought that would happen.

In April 1999, then-General Manager Ron Wolf talked to Drivers agent about signing him as a free agent. When told by the agent that Driver was looking for a signing bonus of around $15,000, Wolf changed his strategy.

As Driver recalls: (Wolf) said, Shoot, we might as well draft the kid and give him draft pick money. So, thats the reason they drafted me.

It didnt matter to Driver how he arrived in Green Bay. He was thankful for a chance and determined to make the most of it.

I came in and remember talking to Ron Wolf and told him that I wasnt going to let him down, Driver said. Ron gave me the opportunity. I havent let him down yet.

Driver caught only 37 passes in his first three seasons combined, so there was no indication he would make a dent in the Packers record book. Whats remarkable about his career path is that when most NFL players start declining near age 30, Driver was only beginning to peak.

Over the past five seasons since turning 29, Driver has averaged 84 catches and 1,157 yards per year. He has remained a fixture in the starting lineup for the past eight years, even though the Packers have drafted five receivers in either the first or second rounds during that span.

Driver plays with a chip on his shoulder, which might help explain his success.

You go in every year and people tell you that you cant do this, you cant do that, said Driver, a three-time Pro Bowl participant and six-time 1,000-yard receiver. I love criticism. So when people tell me I cant do something, I come back and prove people wrong. Thats just kind of how I live my life on a day-to-day basis. If you tell me I cant do it, believe me, Ill find a way to do it.

No one will outwork Driver, who stays in tip-top shape year-round.

Hes a lot bigger, McCarthy said in describing Drivers development over the past decade. Thats what I remember, how light he was when he came in.

He was definitely undersized, but what hes done with his body

Besides his tremendous leaping ability he high jumped 7 feet, 6 inches in college and work ethic, Drivers humility sets him apart.

Asked about his secret to success, Driver replied: Keeping God first in my life, and my family. I play the game for them and God. Thats it. Every time I step on that field, he keeps me walking off. If you look at me, Ive taken a lot of big shots in my career and been able to get up and smile, go back home and give my wife and kids a hug.

Tonight, Drivers wife Betina, his son Cristian and daughter Christina will greet the most prolific pass catcher in Packers history. Only then, according to Driver, will it dawn on him what he has accomplished.

I think when I get home, it will probably hit me then, he said.

UserPostedImage
tromadz
14 years ago
Driver is kind of a big deal.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
No one deserves it more than Donald.

Driver is kind of a big deal.

"tromadz" wrote:

Dulak
14 years ago
I think they should have a big celebration with lots of fanfare right then and there. Well for maybe a minute or 2.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
We should have a prepared congrats video from Sterling prepared for the moment. When you look at it, this is a huge feat for Driver.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
When DD retires(in another 10 years!!!),ok maybe a little sooner, he should be made part of The Packer coaching staff immediatley.

Let him continue teaching the young guys how to make it in The NFL, doing it with hard work, dedication, and A LOT OF CLASS!!!

Packers need some heros from this current roster, I sure the hell would stop the game and give DD his dues.

Like he said winning is more important, hopefully later this year The Packer organization can celebrate this record.!!!

How about in 3 weeks when that Purple team comes to town!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

When Donald Driver retires(in another 10 years!!!),ok maybe a little sooner, he should be made part of The Packer coaching staff immediatley.

Let him continue teaching the young guys how to make it in The NFL, doing it with hard work, dedication, and A LOT OF CLASS!!!

Packers need some heros from this current roster, I sure the hell would stop the game and give Donald Driver his dues.

Like he said winning is more important, hopefully later this year The Packer organization can celebrate this record.!!!

How about in 3 weeks when that Purple team comes to town!!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Screw Brett's marketing deal. Give the 20 million to Driver. We have a QB for that role already.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
rodgehodge
14 years ago
Apparently Driver just had his 600th reception, the first packer ever to reach that mark. Is that surprising to anyone else? Not that DD got 600 receptions, he's been a fantastic player for us, but that he's the first packer receiver to reach 600?
blank
rodgehodge
14 years ago
I just went and read the other post by Zero about Driver breaking Sterling Sharpe's record. Boy do I feel like an ass.
blank
Blitz
14 years ago
Don't worry about it. Bump this up & maybe a mod can merge it into Zero's thread.
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (5h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (11h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (13h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (15h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (15h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (15h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (16h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (16h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.