longtimefan
13 years ago
source 

DEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- It was halftime of the NFC championship game in January 2008, and Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy was fed up with Brett Favre.

The veteran quarterback's numbers were fine -- 10-of-18 passing for 163 yards with a touchdown and a 104.6 passer rating -- and the Packers led the New York Giants 10-6.

But on a blustery night at Lambeau Field, where the game-time temperature was 1 below with a minus-23 wind chill, there were signs Favre was on the verge of freezing up. His body language suggested he simply didn't want to be on the field.

As those who witnessed the scene tell it, McCarthy was venting in a corner of the locker room when, in a particularly stressful moment, he blurted out something to the effect of, "If that guy weren't Brett Favre, I'd bench his ass!"

The rest of the story is well-documented. After halftime, Favre was 9-of-17 for 73 yards and threw two interceptions, including the overtime dagger into the hands of Giants cornerback Corey Webster that set up New York's winning field goal.

At 38 years old, Favre had provided evidence the Packers needed to move on when he retired, waffled and ultimately demanded his release the next summer. If Favre no longer could handle the cold, no longer could win in January, what was the point of getting strung along every offseason and letting former first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers' development go to waste?

The Minnesota Vikings don't have Aaron Rodgers. They have 27-year-old Tarvaris Jackson, who already has flamed out in multiple shots at the starting role.

They also have Favre, a 41-year-old future Hall of Famer who has made abundantly clear he plans to start a 316th consecutive NFL game on Sunday at New England despite a significant ankle/foot injury -- and mistake-prone play that had Childress considering a switch in the second half last weekend.

There's a saying in NFL personnel departments that you compound an error by refusing to admit it soon enough. And that's precisely what Childress would be doing by sticking with Favre because of his name, a $16 million salary and the borderline-embarrassing way the Vikings begged him to play a 20th season -- if Childress thinks Jackson has a chance to do better.

Whether Jackson has that chance is hypothetical, of course. Everyone including Childress knows about Jackson's shortcomings and failings last time around, and if he had ascended beyond developmental QB, there would have been no need to entice Favre -- twice -- to come take the job away.

However, there's no question Childress is frustrated with Favre, as well as a 2-4 record that's turned the Vikings from contender to punchline in less than two months. After Sunday's 28-24 loss at Green Bay, Childress used his media conference to heap blame on officials and Favre's three interceptions -- an outburst he said on Thursday was a product of "being aggravated. That's it. You snap every now and then."

Favre ranks 30th in the NFL in passer rating (68.0). Opponents have turned his 14 turnovers -- five more than he committed in 2009, putting him on pace for a career-high 37 -- into 51 points. He was a physical and emotional wreck on Sunday night, the weight of his on- and off-the-field problems visible on his face as he held back tears in the locker room.

And even if Favre gets some practice work on Friday, he will have missed the bulk of the reps this week with an injury that had him in a walking boot for days -- making him even less mobile and no closer to finding the rhythm, timing and tempo he's lacked all season with his receivers.

All that said, this is Brett Favre, and deciding to sit him against his wishes for even one week would have far-reaching implications, particularly if Jackson flops. Considering how Favre has approached the week, it's probably a matter of when, not if, he declares himself fit to play on Sunday.

The near-comical dichotomy continued on Thursday afternoon -- Favre calling out within earshot of reporters that he needs a Size-15 shoe to accommodate a splint for his fractured heel, and Childress hours later saying Favre is "doing a little better every day. Whether it's good enough to play in an NFL football game remains to be seen."

The guess here is Childress will give the NFL's all-time ironman one more shot to prove he's willing and able to play efficiently and within the system, as he did so well one year ago. There's too much to lose, too much hell to pay, if Favre is put in a position to play the victim before kickoff.

And if he fails, because of injury or everything else, it finally wouldn't matter that he's Brett Favre. Few would fault Childress for trying to patch a sinking ship, at least temporarily, by doing the same thing McCarthy had a notion to do with Favre on that frigid night in Green Bay.

Bench his ass.

Greg C.
13 years ago
I thought the story about the NFC championship game was B.S., then I clicked the link and saw that the article is by Tom Pelissero, who was a good reporter for the Press Gazette when he covered the Packers. I doubt that Pelissero would print that if he didn't have a good source.

At any rate, I don't see Brad Childress benching Brett Favre. Chilly will go down with the ship, and Brett is the ship. Also, I think the ankle is not as bad as we've been told it is, and there's a decent chance that Favre gets healthier and plays better the rest of the season.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
They're reporting from Minnesota that Childress is strongly considering starting Tavaris over Brett this week.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago
Starting to led credit to the rumors I heard and posted here...Zero also agreed with me, bu seem lot said we were full of fluff
Porforis
13 years ago

They're reporting from Minnesota that Childress is strongly considering starting Tavaris over Brett this week.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That's a load. How many times have we heard this crap over the last two years? Unless Favre can't walk, he'll start. Even if he can only start one series before curling up into the fetal position.

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/25544616 

There are reports out of Minnesota that the unthinkable could happen: Brad Childress could choose Tarvaris Jackson over Brett Favre this Sunday. Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune write that Favre intends to play on his fractured ankle, but that hes told a few people close to him that he isnt sure Childress will give him the green light. B. Favre (US Presswire)

Favre was held out of practice Thursday. If hes kept on the bench Sunday, his NFL record 291 consecutive starts streak would be snapped.

Neither Childress nor Favre said anything definitive Thursday.

"He's doing a little better every day," Childress told the media. "Whether it's good enough to play in an NFL football game remains to be seen. Just taking it a day at a time."

Favre, who no longer has a walking boot but is still showing a noticeable limp, was asked if he would practice Friday. "I wouldn't put anything past me to be honest with you," he said. Childress would not say whether Favre needed to work on Friday in order to play on Sunday.

Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has a much better relationship with Favre than does Childress. (Bevell coached Favre in Green Bay.)

"Surprising would probably be a good word," Bevell said regarding the possibility that Jackson might play ahead of Favre. "[Brett has] never not been out there, so it would probably be a surprise."

Greg C.
13 years ago
It's funny to hear the reports of Favre walking with "a noticeable limp." Since when has that kept him from playing? He played the whole fourth quarter with a limp last week. He plays better when he limps. It improves his concentration.
blank
longtimefan
13 years ago

It's funny to hear the reports of Favre walking with "a noticeable limp." Since when has that kept him from playing? He played the whole fourth quarter with a limp last week. He plays better when he limps. It improves his concentration.

"Greg C." wrote:

He did?

Thought he missed a few passes on final drive?
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

He did?

Thought he missed a few passes on final drive?

"Greg C." wrote:

Or he caused the offside and then caused the guy to facemask Matthews to make it 1st and 30 isntead of 1st and 10 at the 20. Come on man, you have to be kidding me if you think he didn't play great on that last drive. They got down there, if Harvin gets a foot in. I understand the whole objectivity thing but I don't understand how you can say he didn't play great on that final drive. Every QB in the history of the game has missed passes.
blank
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
By the way, if this is true, Mike McCarthy should be fired immediately. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Your going to bench a guy at half-time for going 10-of-18 passing for 163 yards with a touchdown and a 104.6 passer rating -- and the Packers led the New York Giants 10-6? A guy that was a big reason for you going 13-3 and getting to the NFC Championship game, you'd bench him? WTF? So if he was any other QB, he would have benched a guy with those types of numbers and the lead? WTF?

If this is true, that explains why he didn't make anytime half time adjustments. Or any in the game period, he couldn't focus on Plaxico Burress/Al Harris because he was looking at Favre. That explains why right out of half, the Giants drove and took the lead - he had other thoughts at half.

What a joke, that's really what he was p'd off about at half-time of that game? If true, fire him immediately.
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
You were not there to see Favre during that halftime Redsox......so how can you say that? Mike McCarthy was THERE. I'm sure what he saw must have been something for him to blurt that out.
Seriously, i know you love Favre, but try to look at it with no agenda and see if what i said might make some sense.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.