Yerko
13 years ago
The NFL is going to start fining offensive and defensive linemen for colliding with helmets first.

Fullbacks are next. Talk about a player who is more than 50% of the time using his helmet on a block/hit.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I just think the whole "fundamental" perspective is hilarious.
1.How many times a game do you actually see a player making a fundamental tackle?
2. How many times do you jump out of your seat after seeing a hit such as this?
3. If there was no flag thrown, you all would be saying THAT WAS A GREAT HIT.
Its football, hits like this happen. To add, I did believe he deserved the fine because he broke a rule but lay off the mumbo-jumbo fundamental b.s.

"G-Force" wrote:

1. Extremely rarely. Which IMO detracts significantly from the quality of the product being provided.
2. Very rarely. I haven't celebrated "BANG!" hits for years.
3. Nope. I don't define "good" by whether something is "legal" or not. IMO those who define "what's moral" or "what's good" by "what's legal" seriously misunderstand the role that law/rules play.

Yes, hits happen. And if they happen, they should be chastised in some way.

If I want to see a human missile, I'll go to the circus. If I want to see quality football, I want to see people who can stop people dead in their tracks by proper tackling.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Greg C.
13 years ago

IMO he ducked his head AFTER the ball had already passed Williams hands.

"Wade" wrote:

That's what I thought when I first looked at DJ's pictures, but then I realized that from Collins' angle, he could not see that Williams had dropped the pass because Williams was blocking his view. And keep in mind that the entire time elapsed in that picture sequence is probably somewhere around half a second.

CORRECTION: I watched the game again, and Collins COULD in fact see the ball pop out before he hit Williams. It was still a bang-bang play though. As pack93z said, players will just have to get in the habit of aiming lower.
blank
Yerko
13 years ago

1. Extremely rarely. Which IMO detracts significantly from the quality of the product being provided.
2. Very rarely. I haven't celebrated "BANG!" hits for years.
3. Nope. I don't define "good" by whether something is "legal" or not. IMO those who define "what's moral" or "what's good" by "what's legal" seriously misunderstand the role that law/rules play.

Yes, hits happen. And if they happen, they should be chastised in some way.

If I want to see a human missile, I'll go to the circus. If I want to see quality football, I want to see people who can stop people dead in their tracks by proper tackling.

"Wade" wrote:

I am not trying to come off as an ass in this but NFL players rarely form tackle, which is why I am ignoring that argument. I can get excited by any hit as long as the other player goes down. I still celebrate the big hits, why not? In the same sense if a player doesn't use form and misses a tackle, I get pissed (I am a hypocrite).

In this position, Collins has no reason to make a form tackle nor is he in the proper place to do so. All he was trying to do was knock that ball loose had Williams somehow got a hand on it.

Anyways, like yourself...I can appreciate a form tackle when it happens.

Clay Matthews hit on Marion Barber. THAT was form! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

And to think, all this wouldn't matter if there weren't so many damn pansies in the world. THIS IS FOOTBALL!!!! PEOPLE GET HIT!!! All through out my playing days when on defense I was told to hit the player so it hurt, so they wouldn't want to get back up. On the offense line I was told to put the defender on his ass...

You don't like it, go play or watch soccer.

I am all about player safety, but my goodness the NFL is taking a dump right now and really living up to the No Fun League.

"G-Force" wrote:

I don't think "pansies" enter into the picture, considering that pro football probably results in more catastrophic injuries than any other sport. I bet it's not even close.

It's all well and good that back in your playing days you were told to hit players so that they could not get up, but I'm guessing that you were nowhere near as strong or fast as NFL players. That's why the NFL keeps having to make these new rules. The players keep getting stronger and faster.

I don't mind when the league takes measures to reduce head injuries, but I agree with pack93z that they should have waited till the off-season, like they usually do when they make such changes. Like so many things the league does, this smacks of look-goodism more than a serious attempt to address the problem.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think Hockey is right there or past the NFL in injuries. Puck to the face?
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago

I don't think "pansies" enter into the picture, considering that pro football probably results in more catastrophic injuries than any other sport. I bet it's not even close.

It's all well and good that back in your playing days you were told to hit players so that they could not get up, but I'm guessing that you were nowhere near as strong or fast as NFL players. That's why the NFL keeps having to make these new rules. The players keep getting stronger and faster.

I don't mind when the league takes measures to reduce head injuries, but I agree with pack93z that they should have waited till the off-season, like they usually do when they make such changes. Like so many things the league does, this smacks of look-goodism more than a serious attempt to address the problem.

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm only 25 so back then was only two years ago and yes, that is why I am posting in a football forum.

I was trying to say players are taught to hit as hard as they can, when they can and when a big hit is made, it can easily be a game changer as well.

The hit was illegal, it was dangerous, and it was properly taken care of. I just think it was an accident. I think back to Zombo's helmet to helmet (no where near to comparable obviously). He was easily in position to make a form tackle...had the wrap up and everything, but his helmet made contact with the qb's chin. Pure accident, minor fine (major to him).

Who cares anyways, Nick Collins can more than afford it.

NFL should donate some of this fine money to my student loan debt.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
The NFL usually gets this right, in this case though, this should have been released prior to the change.

League releases guidelines regarding hitting
Posted by Mike Florio on November 10, 2010 12:37 AM ET
At a time when the media and multiple players have failed to provide NFL fans with clear information regarding prohibited and permitted actions when it comes to hitting in football and only one day after Commissioner Roger Goodell missed an opportunity to provide a clear statement regarding the line between aggressive football action and a violation of the rules during an on-air interview with ESPN's Michele Tafoya, the league has released to the media its "Player Safety" guidelines.

These are not the official rules, but the document that explains what the rules allow and forbid, including diagrams of illegal hits. It was included in the 2010 League Policies for Players manual, which is distributed to all players and coaches at the opening of training camp. (And which, unfortunately, is actually read by likely less than one percent of its recipients.)

"We hope this information is helpful in understanding the NFL's player safety-related rules," NFL V.P. of football communications Michael Signora wrote in the e-mail accompanying the document. "There has been no change in rules since the start of the season, only an increase in the level of discipline for violations of existing rules."

The rules are fairly simple. Defenseless players can't be hit in the helmet or neck area, and they can't be struck with a helmet in any area of the body.

Defenseless players include: (a) a player in the act of or just after throwing a pass; (b) a receiver catching or attempting to catch a pass; (c) a runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped; (d) a kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air; and (e) a player on the ground at the end of a play.

Also, a receiver who has completed a catch (i.e., two feet down and a "football move") and who has not had time to protect himself cannot be struck in head, neck, or face via a launch, even if the initial contact occurs at a point lower than the neck of the receiver.

As we've recently pointed out, hitting a ball carrier with the helmet or in the helmet is not prohibited, unless the use of the helmet amounts to spearing. It's a know-it-when-you-see-it distinction. Players routinely dip their helmets/facemasks into a tackle, while still seeing their target. Helmet-to-helmet contact resulting from that maneuver is allowed. Dropping the helmet and ramming the top of it into an opponent constitutes spearing, a maneuver now rarely seen in football at any level because of the high risk of compression -- and fracture -- of the spine.

Hopefully, members of the media will come up with effective strategies for weaving this information into the coverage of NFL games. For now, the P.R. battle is being won by the skirts-and-flag-football crowd, with too little clear and accurate information being provided to fans who would be inclined to argue in response that the league is targeting only a narrow window of hits that entail enhanced risk of injury.

Big hits are still allowed, as Bengals Terrell Owens learned Monday night when Steelers safety Troy Polamalu flattened T.O. with a clean shoulder hit to the midsection. Owens bounced right up; all too often, receivers who take that kind of a hit to the head don't.

"PFTalk" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dhazer (3h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (4h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (20h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (23h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.