wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Is it a testament to Zombo, Kevin Greene or Dom Capers that an undrafted kid from a mid sized college can come in and not only play a position in the NFL that he never played in HS or college but start and do fairly well at it? And then there are first and second round draft picks from major college programs that fail so miserably. Is it heart or what?

link 

You check out Frank Zombo's bio and look up to see him starting at right outside linebacker for the Green Bay Packers and you wonder:

How in the world did the dots ever get connected?

One year ago, he was a 270-pound defensive end at Central Michigan. The NFL draft came and went without Zombo's name being called and he signed as a rookie free agent with the Packers.

Told he'd be converted to linebacker, he lost 20 pounds and reported to Green Bay to try to make the team at a position he'd never played in high school or college. Then he suffered a badly sprained ankle in August.

How was this guy going to make the roster?

"Obviously, I knew I had my work cut out for me," Zombo said. "Coming into it, all I knew was that I didn't want to have any regrets if I didn't make it. I knew this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I was going to give it everything I had no matter what."

A funny thing happened on the way to the practice squad.

Injuries swept through the Packers' linebackers like a brush fire in the Hollywood hills, and suddenly Zombo was the last man standing. There was nobody else to play right outside linebacker. He was it.

Zombo made his first start in Week 3 against the Chicago Bears, replacing the injured Brad Jones. After Jones (shoulder) went on injured reserve Oct. 27, the position was Zombo's for good.

Linebackers coach Kevin Greene worked to get Zombo up to speed, but for the most part it's been baptism by fire. The 23-year-old Zombo has had to learn a new position on the fly against the likes of Matt Forte, Donovan McNabb, Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre.

How is the job not too big for him?

"It's not too big for him because he wants it," Greene said. "I mean, he has a hunger for it. It's a passion for him. He's a walk-on in the NFL. That's what he is. But he's got the right mind-set. He's got the right attitude. He's willing to learn and to listen and try to implement the things that we're teaching. When he does, he sees it works for him."

The 6-foot-3 Zombo is listed at 254 pounds but said he weighed 248. He played four years with his hand down at Central Michigan and had 25 sacks, but he's a versatile athlete who was an all-state wide receiver at Stevenson High School in Sterling Heights, Mich.

In his final home game at Central Michigan, he intercepted a pass and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown against Northern Illinois.

"A pick-six in my last game," he said. "That was pretty cool."

Zombo ranks sixth on the Packers with 45 tackles, including eight against the Minnesota Vikings last week, and has forced a fumble.

"He is doing really, really well," Greene said. "He set a real hard edge against a Pro Bowl player in (Bryant) McKinnie. He made a couple of really nice tackles. He's playing well. He's a good kid. He's very self-conscious about how he plays. He wants to learn and get better and it shows."

Zombo's pass-rushing skills help him at linebacker. He's strong enough to walk tackles back into the quarterback and has two sacks.

"Everybody measures the sacks and that type of thing, but you need people that know how to rush, where they just aren't flying up the field," said defensive coordinator Dom Capers. "If you put on the tape you'll see a couple times (Sunday) that he had the tackle right back into Brett's lap."

Of course, Zombo has made his share of mistakes, too. On Sunday, he missed an open-field tackle on Vikings running back Toby Gerhart and a short pass in the flat ruptured into a 19-yard gain.

"There are some fundamentals and technique things that we can improve on," Greene said. "He'll learn that. This is a guy who had his hand in the dirt for most of his college career and now he's a two-point drop linebacker."

Fortunately, Zombo is a fast learner. Later in the Vikings game, Favre threw a pass in the left flat to tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and Zombo roared up and made the open-field tackle for no gain.

"Zombo is a conscientious guy and he wants to do everything right," Capers said. "It really bothers him if he makes a mistake. Because of that attitude, he normally doesn't make the same mistake twice. He's not afraid to ask questions. He's made an awful lot of improvement."

Like Zombo, Packers inside linebacker Desmond Bishop got his chance to play because of injuries. Now a starter alongside Zombo, Bishop said the two had a lot in common, starting with their passion for the game.

"I think the essence of football is really simple," Bishop said. "If you love to play and you're willing to put in the work, it can be simple. At the end of the day, football is football. See the ball, hit the ball, tackle the ball. Rush the quarterback. Read the quarterback.

"Whether you're doing it from a three-point stance or two-point stance or whatever, football is football."

Zombo has a deep appreciation for the Packers organization and its storied tradition. He's fallen in love with Green Bay and said he's converted most of Sterling Heights - a suburb of Detroit - into Packers fans.

"I'm so glad I'm here," he said. "I love the Green Bay Packers. I love Green Bay and the area. I like it that there's no traffic. I can go 15 minutes north of here and go hunting.

"I know I can play this game for a long time and hopefully it's in Green Bay because I love it here so much. I couldn't ask for a better situation."

It's worked out well for the Packers, too.

UserPostedImage
DanJustDan29
13 years ago
I think a lot of it has to do with Ted Thompson recognizing talent. Not only does he seem to draft athletic guys, he also drafts guys that are SMART. Intelligence makes it easier to pick up assignments and formations, athletic ability allows players to make up for technique at a position.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I don't think Zombo is doing very well to be honest. He's not a huge hole, but he is definitely the weakest link of our base defense.

According to pro football focus Zombo is the second worst player in generating pressure to the opposing QBs, from players who play over 25% of the snaps.

He is good in run defense though.
This is a placeholder
DakotaT
13 years ago
If lucky, Zombo can do what Aaron Kampmann did in Green Bay. I have nothing against they guy, quite the contrary, I think he is doing very well. But I want a more talented player lining up at ROLB to be Matthew's bookend in the future, and Zombo can be a very good rotational player.
UserPostedImage
DanJustDan29
13 years ago

If lucky, Zombo can do what Aaron Kampmann did in Green Bay. I have nothing against they guy, quite the contrary, I think he is doing very well. But I want a more talented player lining up at ROLB to be Matthew's bookend in the future, and Zombo can be a very good rotational player.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I don't think the Packers really are wanting him to be anything more than that. I guess the draft will really tell us how they feel, but I think Zombo is doing a good enough job.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Pack93z
13 years ago
Find them, pick apart their game, find their strengths, coach them up some.. and plug them in.

Capers and company are spinning gold.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
Nice article. Although Zombo is the least talented player on our defense, he has filled in admirably. He and Bishop and Peprah have all made the defense more physical. I think those three players have nicely complemented the faster, more talented players around them.
blank
Dulak
13 years ago
ya I never thought peprah would come back in and do decent or actually good; wasnt much of his in the past ... I like zombo seems like a tough guy and he's got a nice motor.
mi_keys
13 years ago
You got to love the guy's attitude and he has more often than not played well this year. Between him and Jones I think we have two players that can be great depth at the position. I still want to see another outside linebacker come in and solidify the position but Zombo is a guy I'm thrilled to have and am more than comfortable with when he's in the game.
Born and bred a cheesehead
13 years ago
I might not be cheering as hard for him as I am with CM3, Woody or Tramon...but by god I'm pulling the hardest for him this year. I really, REALLY, love these walk-on stories.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.