porky88
13 years ago

Nobody would trade for a FB.

I think Johnson is a lot better than people think. Although, I haven't watched him much this year. Watching him last year in a couple of games though, you could see the potential he has to be a dominate blocker. San Francisco game really stands out as did the Detroit game.

"Greg C." wrote:

I seem to recall him playing really well against the Browns last year also. But that just begs the question: Why isn't he being noticed this year? He should be progressing, but if anything, he may be slipping a bit. Maybe the different RB situation is affecting him. Let's see if it will make a difference having Starks in there on a regular basis.

"porky88" wrote:

Yeah, I think you're right.

Specifically, Jackson is a hesitant runner. In the zone scheme, you can't hesitate. You need to be decisive. I saw that with Starks. Whether that continues this year remains to be seen. But I do believe that the RBs share or even hold most of the responsibility for the struggles in the running game. That might be why Johnson hasn't stood out or perhaps he's just not playing as well either. Not to mention that GB hasn't attempted to run the ball as much either.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think Starks hitting the hole hard, after nearly two years of no contact, is something that will maintain. And will improve with someone like Quinn leading the way.

If a player is ever going to be hesitant after nearly two years of no contact, I would believe its going to show in their first few attempts.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

Taking the Christl/Baranczyk assessment together with pack93z's assessment, I wonder if maybe Quinn is not the best fit for the Packers' scheme. Maybe he would be more valuable to another team.

"pack93z" wrote:

Honestly.. he isn't.. he is a guy that hits the hole and wants to bury somebody.. now your telling him to stick his nose in there and stop.. doesn't fit his MO at LSU.

I will cite another example of a guy knocking people around but ultimately wasn't kept because he didn't fit. Vonta Leach.

"Greg C." wrote:

Ummm last time I heard the Texans were running mostly zone blocking and I believe I saw them do it when they run over the Colts D in the first couple of weeks. Yeah I'm not buying into zone blocking doesn't let him hit crap at all... why? I've seen Hall, Kuhn and Johnson hit people...

There are different types of zone, there is inside zone, outside zone, slide zone (which is the one people are talking about) and the power zone. I'm not a master or reading them all bu i believe the Packers run a bit of everything including power blocking at times (also call man blocking)...

I think zone blocking does slow him down... but not because he can't hit... because in power blocking only the RB has to read the blocking in front of him... in zone blocking the RB and FB have to read the blocking in front which some power FBs had a lot of trouble with when they're used to playing mostly power blocking and that was the down fall of FB William Henderson (that and age) and it does slow Johnson up.... and that's why zone teams like the Broncos (under their old head coach) where known to take big powerful RBs and make them FBs (like Kuhn who was a star RB in college) because they were used to making those reads...

That's not Johnson only problem.. he is basically a one trick pony... that one trick is run blocking between the tackles. He's very good at it... but he has trouble blocking or staying with a guy in open area or open field. He not that good at catching the ball, not blocking to the outside, not pass blocking, not STs...

A bit reason he has staying with guys in open are, field, or even outside the tackles is partly because he's hips are seriously tight hips, stiff hips, unflexible hips or what ever you want to call it he has it. He also isn't used to the foot work of pass blocking or going side to side if the guy tries to side step his block.

There was an article about Johnson first day of training camp or something... FBs were doing this drill where they had to do footwork though a rope ladder and had a metal thing above them forcing them to lower there hips while they did it or hit their helmets on the metal and Johnson couldn't lower his hips and kept hitting the metal over and over... he couldn't do footwork and get low...

Now both of those are fixable over the long term IF he wants to fix it and figure out and does it. One you could warm up and then do hip stretches, two you could join Clay Matthews and Ryan Grant doing their MMA training stuff where on youtube some where it showed Matthews doing drills to that both loosened up his side to side hips muscle and then later one to work his lowering his body hip muscle with jay glazer? somebody... as for the footwork, rope latter over and over and practice with someone that knows what they're looking for and can tell you if you are doing it right...

I think Johnson has the heart for football... I'm not sure he has the heart of knowledge for preparing himself to his best for football like all the little things like working out staying flexible. I mean I think I've read he likes the weight room stuff but that's not his problem... he's problem his limited body movement which is fixable.

If Korey Hall could stay healthy and had power in his hits he'd be a great FB. He's not gonna run anyone over because of his lack of power but tell him to target a LB/DB and force them to turn their shoulders away from the play basically knocking them out of play as the RB runs by and he gets the job done almost every time. He struggle between the tackles with his lack of power but get him past the tackle (inside or out) just has to be past them and he's good. He can also catch, run routes, play STs. He sucks I mean sucks at blocking Jard Allen though with they ask him to try every so often... he doesn't have the power to block DL. And he can't stay healthy it seems. Hall is a zone FB... but he needs to get more power in his hits.

Also since I talked about Johnson and Hall why not Kuhn?

Kuhn is summed up well by the phase, Jack of all trades, King of none... Kuhn can everything Mike McCarthy ask from FBs, run, catch, pass block, inside power blocks, outside block... all... but he hasn't master any of them quite yet. Mike McCarthy loves Kuhn in the red zone because he's versatile and gives Mike McCarthy so many options, and options make it harder for the defense to read.

wow... that's a lot longer than I meant it to be...
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Wow--great post, beast. I remember Quinn struggling with that flexibility drill in training camp. That was during his rookie year. I didn't hear anything about it this year.

Fullback is a more complicated job than I realized. Maybe Vonta Leach is looking good in Houston because he is blocking for one of the best RBs in the league.

I think these last four games and (hopefully) the playoffs are very important for Quinn. He can stake his claim to a roster spot for next year, or he can be the odd man out. But I'm doubtful right now because I think they kept him because of his potential, and I'm not seeing any progression from last year to this year. I thought he was going to get cut this year, but he made a late push in training camp that probably saved his job.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago

Taking the Christl/Baranczyk assessment together with pack93z's assessment, I wonder if maybe Quinn is not the best fit for the Packers' scheme. Maybe he would be more valuable to another team.

"beast" wrote:

Honestly.. he isn't.. he is a guy that hits the hole and wants to bury somebody.. now your telling him to stick his nose in there and stop.. doesn't fit his MO at LSU.

I will cite another example of a guy knocking people around but ultimately wasn't kept because he didn't fit. Vonta Leach.

"pack93z" wrote:

Ummm last time I heard the Texans were running mostly zone blocking and I believe I saw them do it when they run over the Colts D in the first couple of weeks. Yeah I'm not buying into zone blocking doesn't let him hit crap at all... why? I've seen Hall, Kuhn and Johnson hit people...

There are different types of zone, there is inside zone, outside zone, slide zone (which is the one people are talking about) and the power zone. I'm not a master or reading them all bu i believe the Packers run a bit of everything including power blocking at times (also call man blocking)...

I think zone blocking does slow him down... but not because he can't hit... because in power blocking only the RB has to read the blocking in front of him... in zone blocking the RB and FB have to read the blocking in front which some power FBs had a lot of trouble with when they're used to playing mostly power blocking and that was the down fall of FB William Henderson (that and age) and it does slow Johnson up.... and that's why zone teams like the Broncos (under their old head coach) where known to take big powerful RBs and make them FBs (like Kuhn who was a star RB in college) because they were used to making those reads...

"Greg C." wrote:

Where did I say they don't hit people?

We are talking much the same thing, in this scheme, as I once was taught, you stick your nose in and stone them.. but don't drive (man block) him out of the hole.. you turn (isolate) him so the running back can read or cut. And also, that Quasi Zone scheme I referred to is just that.. a blend of zone and man principles.. and why do they run that.. because they refuse to chop.

You are asking a guy that is a straight line blocker now adjust to sticking his nose in, isolating them and not getting on him and pushing him out of the hole. His flexibility mave be the cause for it, but last year I think one of the reasons he didn't see the field a ton is that he was blasting people out and that is not what they want in most cases. This year he is doing more what the coaches want, not clogging the lanes by pushing them out of the way and now fans are wondering where the big hits are.

Can he become a FB in this system.. possibly, but his natural game, watching him from LSU up, is more a drive system where he can just stick his nose in and push the defender out of the hole.. like taking a square peg, trying to round the edges to stuff it through a circular hole.. and I think it is "holding" him back some.. hence the ill fit.

I will get back to the Texans running game later.. gotta run.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
13 years ago

Fullback is a more complicated job than I realized. Maybe Vonta Leach is looking good in Houston because he is blocking for one of the best RBs in the league.

"Greg C." wrote:

I think all of the positions are more complicated than they sound. It's not very often they talk about all the small things that go into making a good player but there are tons and tons of little things... and really that's where Driver has become better... all the little things....

After a Bengals/Saints preseason scrimmage Chad Ochocinco (Chad Johnson) asked the Saints CBs (Mike McKenzie was one of them then) how could he get better. They told him he was giving up a ton of tells... they knew when he was the first read or going deep because he would always tighten up his gloves right before that play and when he was more the decoy on the play he wouldn't mess with his gloves. And they were down a whole list of tells he was giving away... I only remember the gloves. The little things seriously do matter if guys are close to evenly matched.

Blocking for a good RB doesn't hurt but I think he did get better after he was cut by the Packers. My guess is getting cut gave him a wake up call like it did for Harris, Williams, Peprah, Wells, (was KGB cut early on?) and some others how they all got better after being cut the first time... they kept growing and getting better.

We are talking much the same thing, in this scheme, as I once was taught, you stick your nose in and stone them.. but don't drive (man block) him out of the hole.. you turn (isolate) him so the running back can read or cut. And also, that Quasi Zone scheme I referred to is just that.. a blend of zone and man principles.. and why do they run that.. because they refuse to chop.

You are asking a guy that is a straight line blocker now adjust to sticking his nose in, isolating them and not getting on him and pushing him out of the hole. His flexibility mave be the cause for it, but last year I think one of the reasons he didn't see the field a ton is that he was blasting people out and that is not what they want in most cases. This year he is doing more what the coaches want, not clogging the lanes by pushing them out of the way and now fans are wondering where the big hits are.

Can he become a FB in this system.. possibly, but his natural game, watching him from LSU up, is more a drive system where he can just stick his nose in and push the defender out of the hole.. like taking a square peg, trying to round the edges to stuff it through a circular hole.. and I think it is "holding" him back some.. hence the ill fit.

I will get back to the Texans running game later.. gotta run.

"pack93z" wrote:

First off I haven't been following the Texans at all... just saw the highlights from the Colts game and they used to be a zone running team and I thought they were talking about zone read during the highlights against the Colts.

There are a lot of different zones. I was taught a Zone/Man hybrid system where it was zone idea of double teaming the point of attack area DL to get them moving and then the guy on the outside comes inside and the inside guy release to get a LB. We also did chip block (well I didn't do much of it... but we were taught it and suppose to use it if needed it... I didn't like it and didn't need it much...)

But my point is you can have zone/drive system and the Packers have run it. They also have run what you are talking about as well. I know less about it but I know what you are talking about and I've seen those as well.

Usually when he was doing his blasting it opened up a hole. When you get into tight spaces like short yardage like 3rd and 1 or 2 or the red zone you have to do more man blocking purely from to compact to run zone well. And Johnson was usually in when they ran man blocking.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (21h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (21h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.