Greg C.
13 years ago
Here's what Cliff Christl and Eric Baranczyk have to say about Quinn Johnson in their article in today's Green Bay Press Gazette:

"Quinn Johnson doesnt help much, either. Hes just too stiff to get a low center of gravity. Korey Hall is a much better blocker. You look at Johnson and think he could be a Sam Gash or a Lorenzo Neal, but he just doesnt get it done. Maybe he doesnt have the heart."

Usually I agree with these guys, but I'm not sure about this one because I don't watch the fullbacks that closely. I'd like to hear from some others who pay more attention to that stuff.

Here's the link to the article:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101206/PKR07/101206163/Baranczyk-Christl-column-Lack-of-a-quality-QB-hurt-49ers-most 
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The only thing I've seen him do is flatten people.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
I disagree with the assessment.. he might not knock guys out of the hole like I think he should, but he is an effective blocker just the same.

What they are probably talking or seeing.. is short yardage situations where he isn't knocking guys backwards. Personally.. I think that is part of the teaching this quasi Zone scheme.. on a normal run play, they are teaching guys to basically isolate the movement of the defender so the back can read it and cut.

In a traditional drive scheme.. the objective is to run off a particular gap and to knock people out of the hole and as far out of the hole as you can. So the blockers and lead back get accustomed to kicking the defender out of a hole.. much like a short yardage situation.

From the sidelines it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.. but the difference in the hole is huge. In a drive scheme.. you keep churning your legs and pushing the defender.. in a zone scheme you want to immobilize him and allow the running lanes (and cut back lanes) develop naturally and let the back pick the holes, here as a blocker you set up a solid base and lock the defender down. I can see how people think the guy isn't getting an effective hard block.. but that isn't the intent.

So the bulk of the repetitions is that you are stoning the defender.. then in short yardage without a ton of reps they want you to change in up and kick, push and create a hole.

The Zone scheme should provide multiple lanes and the back picks the best one.. a drive the line and lead back creates the hole.. it is either there or not.

Hence why the Packers choose the zone.. they want guys that are effective pass blockers with good movement.. generally they are not good drive blockers because they lack the natural bulk.

Anyway.. back to the FB's.. a young developing player like Johnson probably has been hampered by the Zone scheme in those short yardage situations.. he is being asked 90% of the time to do something other than drive them out of the way.. and IMO.. reps are everything in football.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
Taking the Christl/Baranczyk assessment together with pack93z's assessment, I wonder if maybe Quinn is not the best fit for the Packers' scheme. Maybe he would be more valuable to another team.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

The only thing I've seen him do is flatten people.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I remember him flattening people last year, but not so much this year. Not at all this year, really. Maybe I'm just not watching him as closely.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago

Taking the Christl/Baranczyk assessment together with pack93z's assessment, I wonder if maybe Quinn is not the best fit for the Packers' scheme. Maybe he would be more valuable to another team.

"Greg C." wrote:

Honestly.. he isn't.. he is a guy that hits the hole and wants to bury somebody.. now your telling him to stick his nose in there and stop.. doesn't fit his MO at LSU.

I will cite another example of a guy knocking people around but ultimately wasn't kept because he didn't fit. Vonta Leach.

Watch Leach in that Texans system where he is allowed to kick guys out of the hole and he is very effective.

When they talked about establishing a running game last season and keeping Johnson.. I thought maybe they would scrap the zone system.. but watch when we run and the FB get into the hole and stone the defender.. they don't want him to push the guy and close a potential hole.

Without chopping guys down.. I am not a fan of the zone scheme.. and I detest the chop.. so ultimately I am not a fan.

I would rather say I am going to run off the 53 and blow guys out of the freaking hole. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
Much thanks for your insight, pack. I look forward to hearing some other opinions, but what you wrote makes a lot of sense.
blank
coltonja
13 years ago

I disagree with the assessment.. he might not knock guys out of the hole like I think he should, but he is an effective blocker just the same.

What they are probably talking or seeing.. is short yardage situations where he isn't knocking guys backwards. Personally.. I think that is part of the teaching this quasi Zone scheme.. on a normal run play, they are teaching guys to basically isolate the movement of the defender so the back can read it and cut.

In a traditional drive scheme.. the objective is to run off a particular gap and to knock people out of the hole and as far out of the hole as you can. So the blockers and lead back get accustomed to kicking the defender out of a hole.. much like a short yardage situation.

From the sidelines it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.. but the difference in the hole is huge. In a drive scheme.. you keep churning your legs and pushing the defender.. in a zone scheme you want to immobilize him and allow the running lanes (and cut back lanes) develop naturally and let the back pick the holes, here as a blocker you set up a solid base and lock the defender down. I can see how people think the guy isn't getting an effective hard block.. but that isn't the intent.

So the bulk of the repetitions is that you are stoning the defender.. then in short yardage without a ton of reps they want you to change in up and kick, push and create a hole.

The Zone scheme should provide multiple lanes and the back picks the best one.. a drive the line and lead back creates the hole.. it is either there or not.

Hence why the Packers choose the zone.. they want guys that are effective pass blockers with good movement.. generally they are not good drive blockers because they lack the natural bulk.

Anyway.. back to the FB's.. a young developing player like Johnson probably has been hampered by the Zone scheme in those short yardage situations.. he is being asked 90% of the time to do something other than drive them out of the way.. and IMO.. reps are everything in football.

"pack93z" wrote:

That was a great post. Shows that the ZBS puts a lot of emphasis on the RB making the right decision with hitting the hole. That sucks to have such a punishing FB being told to slow it down on hitting the hole. It is taking away so much of his game. Great explanation again, 93z.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
I think someone said on here before that he doesn't fit our offense,I think he's a solid backup player.

The things I like about him is that he is a very strong,big,tough FB and he is the essence of lead blocker.He can't catch the ball so that's really his only bad suit in the west coast offense.

He is good for this team,the packers care more about the FB position more than any other team.Which isn't bad because they usually contribute on ST.

He could start for us one day but I for see that not happening for another 1-2 years and if he's even on our team.
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
RainX
13 years ago
Hall's problem is he gets knicked up too easily. Frankly, if they're going to extend one of the two fullbacks, it needs to be Kuhn and keep Johnson as his backup since he's still under contract for next year.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (12h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (16h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (16h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.