Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Examining the many layers of Rodgers concussion issue

If youre anything like me sorry if you are you sometimes have trouble viewing things at surface value. Youre more interested in digging through multiple layers in order to get a bigger picture of an issue.

The current predicament the Green Bay Packers find themselves in with regards to Aaron Rodgers concussion (his second of the year) is one such issue.

Its obviously been the topic of the moment amongst Packers fans and rightfully so. Rodgers health, or lack thereof, will decide the future of the team, not just this year but for years to come. And one of the quickest ways in which a players health can de-rail is via concussions. With two under his belt, the clock is already ticking for Rodgers.

The first question on everyones mind is whether or not Rodgers should play this week. Well know a great deal more Wednesday from Mike McCarthys presser (Rodgers may be available to the media, as well). Rodgers will also undergo mental tests to determine his condition. The brutally honest fact of the matter, however, is that regardless of how he tests out, he really shouldnt play Sunday. His absence leaves Green Bay with a less-than-zero percent chance of winning against the mighty New England Patriots, of course, but this shouldnt be about that. Again, hes the cornerstone. Protecting that at all costs is what this needs to be about.

Look, lets be honest this team has about a five percent chance of winning even if he plays. To beat New England on the road, you have to be perfect AND lucky. The Packers have been neither this season. If they have any shot at the postseason and, again, Id put the percentage on that as being low right now their last two games, home contests with New York and Chicago, will hold the key.

He must be 100 percent for those games. Sorry, I dont care what the men who test him may say, there is just no way he could bounce back to full force less than seven days after having his brain scrambled for the second time in two months. And, really, its about more than just those two concussions. Rodgers hasnt been sacked in 2010 as much as he was last year, but doesnt it seem like hes been absorbing more violent hits this time around? More blatant helmet-to-helmet collisions that have gone largely uncalled? If you have little chance of winning, anyways, why not give your future a week off to prepare for your two biggest games of the year?

Its there that we can begin to move to the second level of this issue. This one has little to do with Rodgers. No, this ones about the men who are paid to protect him. In short, the Packers offensive line has regressed this season from its late-2009 brilliance.

There have been moments of solid play, but for the most part, the group just hasnt done enough to protect its elite quarterback. Enough to protect Derek Anderson? Sure. But not Rodgers. People, myself included, wonder why Rodgers still gets a case of happy feet at times and why, on certain plays, he seems to break the pocket quicker than is necessary. If you think about it, though, its simple: He likely has little trust in the front five, despite what he may say publicly. After watching such average front sevens as the ones in Detroit and Washington get to him over-and-over, I cant say I blame him.

If youve been harassed consistently, as he has in numerous games, youre always looking for that escape, particularly if you have the athleticism that Rodgers has. Thats why Rodgers fails to recognize wide-open receivers on plays where he takes off. It has little to do with lack of awareness, but rather a keen sense of self-preservation.

As much as I love the work hes done overall, in five years as general manager, Ted Thompson has yet to get really, truly serious about putting together an elite o-line. Brett Favre had the veteran know-how to make it work towards the end of his time in Green Bay; Rodgers hasnt gained that yet. And until guys like Daryn Colledge and Scott Wells (a solid player who will always struggle at times because of his limited size) are no longer charged with covering him, the pressure will always be there. If thats the case, Rodgers may not even make it long enough to gain Favres veteran savvy. The road from where hes at to where Steve Young and Troy Aikman ended up is shorter than you think.

Of course, Rodgers is not without blame on this issue. He still hangs on to the ball longer than he should at times, which has led to hits he need not take. And weve known for a long time that Rodgers ran too recklessly (quick how many times have you yelled, SLIDE AARON! at the television? I bet its a lot). Every time he went for that extra yard and took an unnecessary hit as a result you always worried as to whether or not hed get up right away. At some point, we all knew thered come a time when he didnt pop right back up. That time came Sunday.

Its unfortunate that it happened at the time it did the Packers in a frantic playoff chase but, again, make no mistake, this was going to happen. The hope now is that it can serve as a lesson to Rodgers. Fighting for that extra yard is valliant, especially when your line and playmakers arent doing their jobs (see: Sunday), but its more important to keep yourself intact.

Again, thats the over-arching theme of the whole issue: keeping Rodgers intact. Playing him Sunday night wont help that. The Daryn Colledges of the world wont help that. And Rodgers himself wont help that. Hopefully, the men who make the decisions for the Packers see this, as well.

-Chris Lempesis

I've really been focusing on Scott Wells' performance the past few weeks, and I'm getting more and more concerned about his inaccuracy. I'd say a good 30% to 40% of snaps to Matt Flynn were low against the Patriots (I'd have to go back through the film to check), and I know for sure almost every snap on the final drive, including the last two critical ones, were off target. I kept flinching at all the low snaps, worrying when Flynn was going to lose control of one, but fortunately, he held on to every single snap. Still, the low snaps did disrupt his rhythm a bit on quite a few plays and he probably lost a quarter to a half second adjusting the ball on those plays.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
How does a low snap percentage and how it is being tabulated figure into the layers of the concussion issue? 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Shit, missed one.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : damn those vikings
beast (1h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (1h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (1h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (1h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (8h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (9h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.