warhawk
13 years ago

Here ... is my pipe dream.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

My "pipe dream" is we beat the Bears and Philly wins their last two and bumps Chicago for the #2 seed and then we can go beat the Bears again in the 1st round.

This is a highly possible scenario with Philly having their last two at home against the Vikes tonight and Dallas next week.

Beating the Bears twice in a row and knocking their butts out would be a very nice thing.
"The train is leaving the station."
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

The announcers mentioned that there is a scenario that the Packers could win and still not make the playoffs. They said that the possibility of it is so remote not to even worry about but I was just wondering what it might be. Maybe someone smarter than I am could expand on this.

edit: Thanks for adding this to the proper thread Z2C. I knew this would have been commented on but just didn't find it soon enough.

"azrunning" wrote:

There is a way, and it's not even that impossible. Saints need to win Buccaneers (very likely, since the Saints are better and they will try to face the NFC West winner in wildcard) and Redskins need to beat Giants (not completely unlikely, division games are always tough and the last few weeks of losses have to have deflated the Giants at least a little bit).
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Packers_Finland can you show us? I've tried several different methods via the NFL playoff rules and am missing it.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
I think it's pretty telling that every single source I've checked has stated flat-out that if the Packers beat the Bears wk 17 they're in - period. Not trying to call Packers_Finland out, but I would hope we weren't being fed bad information from every source that disseminates that information.

If the Saints beat the Bucs and the Packers beat the bears, the Packers are 10-6 and the Bucs would be 9-7 - unless I've hit my head that means Packers > Bucs for that 6th seed.

If the Redskins beat the Giants and the Packers beat the Bears, again we're looking at 10-6 for the Packers and 9-7 for the Giants, so again Packers > Giants for that 6th seed.

I'm thinking that perhaps we're reading this wrong, because a scenario where the two main rivals for that spot lose and the Packers win would seem to me to simply cement the 6th seed.

Or perhaps he's saying those two wins combined w/ a loss to the Bears would mean the Pack aren't in - that I can certainly understand. But my understanding is that if they beat the Bears, they're in the playoffs.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Packers, Giants and Bucs can all get to 10 wins by winning in Week 17.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures 

Packers, Giants and Buccaneers all win, each will be 10 - 6 with 8 - 4 conference records.

Next is common games, must be 4 between the three. I'm gonna compile a list now.

There was not 4 common opponents between the three teams.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago

The announcers mentioned that there is a scenario that the Packers could win and still not make the playoffs. They said that the possibility of it is so remote not to even worry about but I was just wondering what it might be. Maybe someone smarter than I am could expand on this.

edit: Thanks for adding this to the proper thread Z2C. I knew this would have been commented on but just didn't find it soon enough.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

There is a way, and it's not even that impossible. Saints need to win Buccaneers (very likely, since the Saints are better and they will try to face the NFC West winner in wildcard) and Redskins need to beat Giants (not completely unlikely, division games are always tough and the last few weeks of losses have to have deflated the Giants at least a little bit).

"azrunning" wrote:

You just quoted the scenario that would allow the Packers a way to to lose to the Bears and still get in. The Pack is in no matter what happens if they win. They are also in if they lose and both the Bucs and Giants lose.

There is no possible scenario that would include losses by both or either the Bucs or Giants that could eliminate the Packers. How could both the teams that have a shot at overtaking us possibly improve that chance by losing?
"The train is leaving the station."
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Oh damn, sorry guys. I misread azrunning's post. I read that he wrote that there's a way we could lose and still make the playoffs. Damn.

I will leave my latest post unedited just for being such an illiterate fuckface.

If the Packers win, we're definitely in.
This is a placeholder
Pack93z
13 years ago
The NFL made a mistake.. see below.

Update: On Monday morning the NFL updated its website regarding the Green Bay Packers' playoff chances.

After earlier stating that the Packers could win against Chicago Sunday and miss the playoffs (see below ) now when you go the NFL website's playoff explainer here and click on "Green Bay Packers" it says:

"Pretty simple math for the Packers: Win in Week 17 vs. Chicago and they're in. If they get in, they could be the most dangerous No. 6 seed in recent history."

Apparently, the NFL's playoff formula and tiebreakers are so complicated even the league can't necessarily figure it all out.

The NFL website also says the Packers can clinch with a loss and losses by the New York Giants and Tampa Bay.

If you thought all the Green Bay Packers had to do was beat the Chicago Bears Sunday and they were in the playoffs, you were mistaken.

If the Packers win on Sunday, "only a odd alignment of planets would keep them out" of the playoffs, the NFL says on its website. That info comes up when you click on "Green Bay Packers" on the NFL's playoff explainer here .

No further details were provided, but presumably the answer is somewhere in the NFL's intricate tiebreaking procedures .

It is possible for there to be up to a four-way tie at 10-6 between Green Bay, the New York Giants, New Orleans and Tampa Bay. New Orleans plays Atlanta on Monday night, New Orleans and Tampa play on Sunday and the Giants play Washington.

The Green Bay-Chicago game on Sunday at Lambeau Field will be at 3:15 p.m. and televised by FOX, the NFL announced Sunday night.

The St. Louis Rams-Seattle Seahawks game that will decide the NFC West champion will be the Sunday night game on NBC at 7:20.

Here is where you can see the entire schedule for Sunday.

Here are the rules for flexible scheduling that explains how the teams ended up playing at what times on Sunday.

The Bears have locked up the NFC North title, and will be the No. 2 seed and gain a first-round bye if Philadelphia loses its delayed game against Minnesota on Tuesday or loses on Sunday or if the Bears beat the Packers

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Packers, Giants and Buccaneers all win, each will be 10 - 6 with 8 - 4 conference records. Saints have 11, they are out of the battle for the 6th seed as they have the 5th locked up.

There are no 4 common opponents between the three teams.

It goes down to strength of victory.

1 Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2 Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3 Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4 Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5 Strength of victory.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I'm going through strength of victory right now. I'm off work and bored, don't laugh.

We own strength of victory tie breaker.

Packers > Giants > Buccaneers.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.