Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
You're right! I'd forgotten about Josh McDaniels.

It will be interesting, after the season is over, to look over the past 10 years or so and see how the current spate of firings compares to the annual bloodbath.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Isn't Fox on the last year of his contract?

"TheKanataThrilla" wrote:

I believe so, but I don't think he'll be back next season for the Carolina Panthers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fired or if he's contract is up, not resigned.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago
A GM and owner cannot allow the starting quarterback and head coach in a shouting match caught on camera. That is the definition of dissention and the coach's ass in the on the line. Mike Singletary was in over his head. He a defensive coordinator and was promoted too high.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Singletary went off the deep end during his HC tenure.. especially this season.

Completely loony.. and it caught up with him in a hurry.

I think Dakota nailed it.. I think the guy can coach.. but being the face of the franchise overwhelmed him. And he snapped.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

After 'inept' effort, 49ers fire Singletary, need to get things right

Ann Killion>INSIDE THE NFL

[img_r]http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/ann_killion/12/27/singletary/mike-singletary-si.jpg[/img_r]Mike Singletary's blustery coaching career is now fodder for the next round of light beer commercials.

And the San Francisco 49ers are looking for their fourth coach in seven seasons.

Yet another team makeover for the franchise that was once an emblem of stability. After years of disconnecting from their own legacy, the 49ers need to get it right this time, if they want to build a new stadium and re-energize their dwindling fan base.

On Sunday night team president Jed York fired Singletary, the Hall of Fame linebacker who failed miserably to meet his standard of play as a head coach. Earlier, after Sunday's 25-17 loss to the Rams, which ended the 49ers slim hopes of winning the feeble NFC West, a displeased York told reporters he is planning to hire a general manager.

That's a good sign, a hint that York understands the problem isn't just with the product on the field but within the structure and philosophy of the organization. For years, the 49ers have been operating without experienced NFL leadership.

But such a general manager could also provide a barrier to hiring a big-name coach who may want his own degree of power and autonomy. The names churning in the 49ers rumor mill are ESPN analyst Jon Gruden -- whose first NFL job was as an assistant with the 49ers -- and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh could walk the same path that Bill Walsh took more than three decades ago, from Stanford to the 49ers. If Mike Holmgren is interested in returning to coaching, he would be another candidate.

Why any of them would want to work for an organization that has so badly lost its way is another question, entirely.

York hired Singletary two years ago, in a knee-jerk reaction to the end of disastrous Mike Nolan era, to not only be the coach but also the charismatic face of the franchise. Yet he didn't provide Singletary with an experienced mentor to lean on.

York would be wise to try to duplicate the model that most successful teams follow. Placing a strong general manager in charge of football operations would be a marked change for the listing franchise. Terry Donahue, who arrived with no NFL experience and whose reign was a disaster, was the general manager when Steve Mariucci was fired and Dennis Erickson was hired. That was after the 2002 season, the last year the 49ers made the playoffs.

In the years since, the team has floundered, first under Erickson, then Mike Nolan and then Singletary. Both Nolan and Singletary were first-time head coaches with defensive backgrounds. Under them, the 49ers never found any offensive continuity, struggling to develop a quarterback or retain an offensive coordinator.

Despite their NFL inexperience, neither Nolan nor Singletary were subordinate to a general manager: Nolan brought in Scot McCloughan to run player personnel. McCloughan later was given the title of general manager, to strip Nolan of some power, but was fired last spring for unspecified reasons. The team replaced him with Trent Baalke, but without giving him the general manager title.

Meanwhile Singletary -- who has two years remaining on the $10 million, four-year contract he signed late in the 2008 season -- soldiered on, trying to mold the 49ers into a likeness of the 1985 Bears, apparently oblivious to the modern, quarterback-driven NFL. Singletary was wedded to a brand of football that was neither effective nor appealing to a fan base raised on Joe Montana-to-Jerry Rice.

If Singletary had been trying to execute his vision in Chicago, he would have at least been afforded the benefit of the doubt. But in the Bay Area, patience wore thin quickly, especially after an 0-5 start this season.

Sunday's game was a microcosm of all that has gone wrong. With 10 days to prepare -- following the 49ers disastrous Thursday night outing in San Diego on Dec. 16 -- the team came out flat and disorganized. Singletary won the coin toss but opted to kick. His defense couldn't stop the Rams. His team committed six penalties in the first quarter. A weeklong cat-and-mouse game over who would be the starting quarterback offered no solutions: Troy Smith was ineffective. After a sideline screaming match with Singletary he was replaced by Alex Smith, who was equally unproductive.

York described the effort as "inept."

The 49ers have been inept for most of the past eight seasons. Their history of offensive greatness, Super Bowl titles and continuity in leadership is a faded, distant memory. The man holding the title of head coach has been just a part of the problem.

Now they are undergoing yet another makeover. This time, the 49ers need to get it right.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
Don't worry, San Fran, I'm still available. I'll fix that thing up for you.
TheKanataThrilla
13 years ago

Singletary went off the deep end during his HC tenure.. especially this season.

Completely loony.. and it caught up with him in a hurry.

I think Dakota nailed it.. I think the guy can coach.. but being the face of the franchise overwhelmed him. And he snapped.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I don't think mentally he fits the mold of a HC for a young team. The old school bad ass stuff doesn't fly with today's players unless you are part of a veteran team.
Formo
13 years ago
Meh, can't say one thing or another of his coaching.. But will say that I'm not surprised about this move.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Greg C.
13 years ago
Considering that he began his coaching career by pulling down his pants in the locker room, this was pretty much inevitable. He was all bluster and didn't really know what he was doing. Great players almost always make bad coaches. They don't know what it's like to not be a great player. They think it's just a question of their players getting their asses in gear, because that always worked for them when they played. They don't seem to understand the nuances of coaching. That's my theory, anyway.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Considering that he began his coaching career by pulling down his pants in the locker room, this was pretty much inevitable. He was all bluster and didn't really know what he was doing. Great players almost always make bad coaches. They don't know what it's like to not be a great player. They think it's just a question of their players getting their asses in gear, because that always worked for them when they played. They don't seem to understand the nuances of coaching. That's my theory, anyway.

"Greg C." wrote:

Something I heard about Michael Jordan was he'd never ever be a good coach. The reasoning was he'd expect his players to play on his level, because after all, he was able to, so why shouldn't others? Basically saying great players have too high expectations for their players.

I agree with that.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (2h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

22h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.