gotarace
13 years ago

Lack of heart would to me be WR's not willing to block. I don't see that with our WR's. Also, if they were giving up routes all of the time or throwing up alligator arms. I'm not seeing that.

All of our special teams and offensive personnel coaches, gone and the damn scheme.

I'd really like to see more responsibility put on the players than the coaches when the player fails to catch the ball, make the tackle, etc ...

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have to agree with the not wanting to block problem with our wide recievers. When ever you see a top tier offense their recievers never give up on a play and block like a tight end when any player has the ball. This in it's self can improve the run game by leaps and bounds.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
13 years ago
Also, haven't we already determined that 1, arguably 2 of those TD's by the Pats weren't on our D?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

macbob
13 years ago
I started a new thread on Masthay being close to the net average punting record for the Pack. That's not just on the punter--the coverage unit has to be doing a pretty decent job, too. Slocum can't be doing as bad a job as I've been believing.

Crosby's been OK, KO returns have been OK, the main thing that's sucked is the punt returns. And that's not necessarily Slocum's fault, it may be more who he has to work with.

I think if Shields works at it over the offseason he could come in and immediately make our punt return game more explosive.

Looking back, there's one or two plays (like the 71 yd KO return) that are coloring my perception. I'm thinking I'm willing to give Slocum a pass for another year.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
Campen: Seriously, I think this guy's proven that - if nothing else - he isn't a very good fit for the ZBS. If they plan to keep it*, he absolutely has to go, and they need to bring in someone who's got cred at running it. Personally, I'm with the crowd that wants it scrapped - it doesn't fit the personality of the team - too finesse, and as pass happy as they like to be, it's not a good pass blocking scheme. Really, though, I can't see how you can make much of a case for Campen deserving to stay.

Slocum: This will fall into the category of outright rumor-mongering, but I'll go ahead, with the caveat that I have no proof whatsoever that it's true - let's just say it's something I've heard. I have a friend who lives in GB and claims to know one of the (possibly former) assistant coaches for ST. According to this rumor, Slocum got the job over another, more-deserving candidate because he's McCarthy's bo-bo. In other words, total who-you-know/good old boy shit. Again, I have NO proof that this is true. What is certainly true is that ST have done anything but improve under his watch. Certainly injuries have played a part, but even when that wasn't an issue there were lapses and the group was under-performing.

Overall: I look at it this way: When they saw that the D was turning into an anchor that threatened to weigh the team down, they went out and got a proven, top-tier defensive coordinator. The defense has been a strength since. So to me, it makes sense that they should approach the o-line and special teams coaching the same way: Go out and find the best available guys, hand them the reins and get out of the way. McCarthy is human - he has strengths and weaknesses, but the man can coach up a QB and he can put together a hell of a gameplan on offense. He also seems to be able to delegate effectively, at least if he knows he's putting the work in capable hands (like Capers'). So I say give him a couple more pairs of capable hands on o-line and ST.

As others have illustrated far more elegantly than I could, if you want a team that is consistently competing for the division (and in this era that's really the goal - compete for your division and the playoffs on a consistent basis - many of us recall the pre-free-agency days a little too vividly, and that skews the view), you need consistency in terms of the head coach and GM/organization. Players will come and go - you can either go headlong after every free agent star and maybe get a couple good-great seasons at a pop, but you'll be down more than you'll be up, because there's no base on which to build. McCarthy isn't any more perfect than any other HC, but he's stable and certainly a lot better than many other teams' HCs. Thompson likewise has his flaws, but all I need to do is look @ guys like Tramon, Sam Shields, Bishop, Zombo, etc. to see that he and his staff have a good idea for talent and filling the team's needs with guys who can play, whether or not you know their names. That's right out of the playbook of teams like New England and the Steelers, and I think they're good examples to emulate.

Sorry - too many words. Bottom line: I do think that it makes sense to upgrade at the coaching for o-line and ST. They're perennial under-achievers, and certainly in the case of the o-line there have been more than enough players brought in to suggest to me that the issue is coaching.

*the reason (IMO) they went with this is that if it's properly executed you can get away with less talent @ running back and smaller O-line players. The problem is that it's never properly executed, and they have a few players who aren't really good fits for the scheme.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6m) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (6m) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (2h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (2h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (2h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (3h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (3h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (14h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (15h) : damn those vikings
beast (16h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (16h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (16h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (16h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (23h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (23h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (23h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.