all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Though the one I'd like to see go first is Bush--too many penalties and poor plays. Some haven't been his fault, but if the ball is going to bounce off of someone and the other team recover, chances are it'll have been Bush it bounces off of.

"macbob" wrote:

You do realize that not only does Bush play gunner, but he is also the one covering the other team's gunner.

Put differently, Jarret Bush is always going to be one of the first Packers back near the PR due to the nature of the position he plays.

And when you are covering a gunner, you simply cannot take the time to figure out where the ball is or is not. The moment you focus on the ball, that is the moment you are liable to lose any chance of staying in front of the opposing gunner.

And of course, once the gunner gets past you, you cannot block him in the back because that would constitute an illegal block.

Frankly, I am not sure why you single out Bush for concern. He - along with Tom Crabtree - have been our most dependable Special Teams players this year in my opinion.

And, actually, Bush is not prone to committing as many penalties as people constantly make him prone to commit. In 2008, Bush had six special teams penalties. Since then, in the next 25 games he had a total of 3.

That is to say, up until the week before our bye-week, Bush had committed a grand total of 3 penalties the previous one and one-half seasons. ((Source - 6th paragraph from the bottom) 

Now he had one this past game... but it is very unfair to label him penalty prone given that he has really cleaned up his play. It seems people single out Bush based on perception and his less than adequate performances when forced to go out on defense.... that is unfair to do.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
RainX
13 years ago
I agree with Campen and Slocum. They've been around long enough and yet we've seen marginal at best improvement. The offensive line has been average at best the past few years.

I'd also like to see them can the Strength and Conditioning staff. The sheer amount of injuries we've indured the past few seasons makes me think it's time for a change there.
blank
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
As for Slocum, it's hard to argue he is a coach worth hanging on to.

Last year was terrible, and this year is somewhat better. Still not good enough by NFL standards, though.

I have to throw this out though: the first few weeks, our special teams were outstanding. Heck, even the Eagles ST (with their returner DeSean Jackson and new reputable ST coach in Bobby April) were shut-down.

Fast forward to now and it is obvious our Special Teams have regressed.

You could argue that the first quarter of the season was an anomaly. It might be.

Alternatively, you could argue (although few would consider doing so) that once injuries started hitting the Packers, our Special Teams units suffered most.

The only players to be constantly available to play Special Teams every game this season have been Jarret Bush and Tom Crabtree. Meanwhile, coach Slocum has lost the availability of players such as: Desmond Bishop, AJ Hawk, Brandon Chillar, Atari Bigby, Brandon Underwood, Brandon Jackson, Pat Lee, Morgan Burnett, Brad Jones, Brady Poppinga, Korey Hall, Nick Collins, and Charlie Peprah at some point or another.

Then you have the replacements to those players that have been lost: Spencer Havner, Anthony Smith, and Erik Walden (returned yesterday).

My point is that the turnover on Special Teams personnel has been insane this past season. That may explain the regression and sub-par play on special teams this year.

What I'm trying to say is that I would understand if Slocum was fired - his units just have not produced. I would also understand if McCarthy decided to keep Slocum to give him one more season to show what he can do with more consistency in ST personnel.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Greg C.
13 years ago
I'm kind of an agnostic on this issue. I don't think we as fans know enough about assistant coaches to have informed opinions about them. As AADP just explained, the number of injuries to special teams players has been ridiculous this year. So Slocum might not be to blame for the regression we've seen during the season. Or maybe he is. Who knows?

I will say, however, that I would not mind seeing the zone blocking scheme scrapped, and if that means getting rid of the OL coach, so be it. I don't think it's likely, but then again, McCarthy was able to switch from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 last year, and scrapping the ZBS would be less of a change than that.
blank
millertime
13 years ago
Dom Capers may be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL behind Dick LeBeau (Steelers).

We have Barnett, Burnett, Chillar, Harrell, B. Jones, Martin, Neal, Poppinga, and Anthony Smith on IR. Bigby and Barnett started the year on PUP. Some of our best defenders have missed significant playing time (Jenkins, CM3, Pickett).

Players we've relied on heavily this year include: Sam Shields, Zombo, Francois, Peprah, CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn, etc.

Only one team (Patriots) has scored more than 30 pts against us, and 7 of those pts were a result of a pick 6.

If you guys want to dump on Dom Capers, tell me which D-coordinator you would rather have? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
31 - Patriots

Who scored the next most points on us?

26 - Lions, in our place!
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
13 years ago
Any and all offensive line coaches. slocum.

There is absolutely no reason for the oline coaches to have not been fired long before now, and our special teams have been garbage for years. force 1 coach into retirement only to promote someone from within who is equally awful. sweet move
macbob
13 years ago

You do realize that not only does Bush play gunner, but he is also the one covering the other team's gunner.

Put differently, Jarret Bush is always going to be one of the first Packers back near the PR due to the nature of the position he plays.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Yeah, as I said, not his fault. And I didn't say I was being fair. Guess I'll just have to get used to disappointment. 🙂
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

31 - Patriots

Who scored the next most points on us?

26 - Lions, in our place!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

And we were #1 in scoring defense going into this weekend. We're now 2nd, 14 pts behind Pit and 24 pts ahead of #3 (Atl).
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Jimmy Robinson has done a fine job with the WRs. Jennings, Jones, and Nelson has developed. I believe Nelson was his project this year and he has turned into a fine WR.

The problem is the WRs don't hang onto the football. This isn't anything new. James Jones has never had as reliable hands as some made it out to be. Even Greg Jennings has been prone to drop ball occasionally. This is not on the coach. This is on the player. You catch the ball!

As a WR coach, you're more about getting the players fundamentals ready for the NFL. It is more about route running and timing with your QB. How is their down the field blocking? Is their technique off? Are the players not responding?

I have seen nothing wrong with that unit at all.

Now, OL and special teams is a completely different story.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.