Greg C.
13 years ago

It's not challenges are free. You lose a timeout, I don't really agree with the theory that suddenly coaches would start throwing out challenges left and right.

If the above is true that if you get both right you get a third but not a fourth. Then if you get two challenges right, its a playoff game. You get a third right. Then in the 4th quarter something extremely obvious happens, I just don't see the logic that you get punished and you could lose the game because the NFL doesn't want more breaks. I just assumed if your going to have instant replay in a sport, its main purpose is to make sure the right call is called.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

Well-said. Losing a timeout is not something that coaches take lightly. There would not be that many extra challenges if they changed the rule in the way we are suggesting.
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
That's why a challenge is like "gold". Use them wisely, or lose them for when you might really need them.

Oh.....and Montana Bob......you missed ONE thing......"Seats 12,000......and STILL can't get sold out!" LOL!
UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
13 years ago

I don't think it's a major time issue for the networks because they can run commercials during challenges, then eliminate commercial breaks later in the game as necessary.

"Greg C." wrote:

Agreed.

I can't believe that the networks AND the League would settle for a situation where the Overtime game in progress gets switched to the Late game. Can you imagine if you are sitting in your living room in Wisconsin watching the Pack on the early game. Game tied going into overtime....errr...we interrupt this broadcast to bring you the San Francisco 49ers vs. the Carolina Panthers. WHAT! YGBFKM!!

Seems to me they should be able to manage their commercials in the first 3 quarters so they could play the entire 4th quarter nearly w/o commercials. If they go into OT, there is time before the next game to show it. If there isn't, then more commercials to fill the time until the next game starts.

After all, the game is only 60 minutes long with half time at 12 minutes. Timeouts are only 40 sec or 1 m 50s if used for commercials. 2 minutes between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th quarters. Should be plenty of time left for the network to get their revenue during play stoppages, etc or get creative w/sideline advertising similar to soccer games.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

I don't think it's a major time issue for the networks because they can run commercials during challenges, then eliminate commercial breaks later in the game as necessary.

"istanbulpacker" wrote:

Agreed.

I can't believe that the networks AND the League would settle for a situation where the Overtime game in progress gets switched to the Late game. Can you imagine if you are sitting in your living room in Wisconsin watching the Pack on the early game. Game tied going into overtime....errr...we interrupt this broadcast to bring you the San Francisco 49ers vs. the Carolina Panthers. WHAT! YGBFKM!!

Seems to me they should be able to manage their commercials in the first 3 quarters so they could play the entire 4th quarter nearly w/o commercials. If they go into OT, there is time before the next game to show it. If there isn't, then more commercials to fill the time until the next game starts.

After all, the game is only 60 minutes long with half time at 12 minutes. Timeouts are only 40 sec or 1 m 50s if used for commercials. 2 minutes between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th quarters. Should be plenty of time left for the network to get their revenue during play stoppages, etc or get creative w/sideline advertising similar to soccer games.

"Greg C." wrote:

They will not cut off the end of a game if you are in the home market of one of the teams involved. But if your team plays the late game and the early game runs late, they will cut off the end of that one. It happens only occasionally, and I don't think an extra replay challenge or two would have a substantial impact on game lengths anyway.
blank
Porforis
13 years ago

It's not challenges are free. You lose a timeout, I don't really agree with the theory that suddenly coaches would start throwing out challenges left and right.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

If it's going to cost you a timeout, why not challenge the previous play everytime you want to take a timeout and get a few more minutes of rest? That's the dumb crap I'm afraid would come up.
Greg C.
13 years ago

"Porforis" wrote:

If it's going to cost you a timeout, why not challenge the previous play everytime you want to take a timeout and get a few more minutes of rest? That's the dumb crap I'm afraid would come up.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

They can do that under the current system if they want to, but they don't, because it would be ridiculous. Why would they challenge a play where nothing controversial happened? Do you think coaches are just standing around on the sidelines thinking of all the silly things that they can do just for the heck of it?
blank
4PackGirl
13 years ago
bottom line here is people are stupid - even nfl coaches. they'll do whatever it takes to benefit their team. you bet your sweet ass they'd work the system like crazy given unlimited challenges. rules were put in place to stop the nonsense that was likely to ensue. much like stupid people force the gov't to make stupid laws to protect their stupid asses.
Greg C.
13 years ago

bottom line here is people are stupid - even nfl coaches. they'll do whatever it takes to benefit their team. you bet your sweet ass they'd work the system like crazy given unlimited challenges. rules were put in place to stop the nonsense that was likely to ensue. much like stupid people force the gov't to make stupid laws to protect their stupid asses.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

I'm not suggesting unlimited challenges. I'm suggesting that when you get two challenges wrong, you don't get any more. That way teams are protected if the refs screw up more than two calls, but coaches would still have plenty of incentive not to use frivolous challenges. This would not be as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.
blank
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
A change that a CORRECT call would not change your right to challenge more than two times would have little or no effect.

This whole thing about coaches calling timeouts to get extra long timeouts, why don't they just do that now in the 4th quarter if they havn't used a challenge?

Fine, if you only get two challenges, even if you get one correct is to make people be more mindful of timeouts, I still don't get the two challenges correct, you get a third but not a fourth. I don't see the logic. Why a third and not a fourth?

It will come and bite someone in the arse as these things always do. That's one of the beauties of sports, whenever there is something strange like this it ALWAYS comes back and has some impact at some point. And when it happens, it will have twice in two weeks. And then they will change the rule.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (3h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (6h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (6h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (6h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (6h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (7h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (17h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (19h) : damn those vikings
beast (19h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (19h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (19h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (19h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
48m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.