RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
I don't understand the whole you only get two challenges thing. It helped us out but it may hurt us some day too.

If the Giants were right on the first challenge and wrong on the second challenge, why are they unable to challenge again? I don't see the logic. Why not just have a rule that says if you get two challenges wrong, you get no more challenges.

There must be some kind of logic behind it but I just don't see it.
blank
4PackGirl
13 years ago
the game is long enough as it is. if not 2 then how many? 10? at one time there was the 90 second time limit & that seems to be gone now. can't imagine how long it would take to have more challenges.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The NFL has to work around the schedules of the major networks. If I'm not mistaken, the league allots 90 seconds for officials to examine replays. If they allowed unlimited challenges, the league fears that games would drag on much longer, thereby running into the later games. This would not please the networks or the viewing audiences. It would mean fans of teams in the earlier games would miss more of the 4th quarter more often, since by league rule the networks must show the beginning of the later games on time. That's why networks frequently are unable to show the full overtime period for earlier games. They have to cut away to the later kickoffs.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

I don't understand the whole you only get two challenges thing. It helped us out but it may hurt us some day too.

If the Giants were right on the first challenge and wrong on the second challenge, why are they unable to challenge again? I don't see the logic. Why not just have a rule that says if you get two challenges wrong, you get no more challenges.

There must be some kind of logic behind it but I just don't see it.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

As noted, they have to set a limit on the challenges for time reason, however I think there is more to it than that.

By making both of the first two count and burning a timeout if they are wrong is to increase the value of the challenges, so that a coach doesn't utilize a challenge as an additional timeout within the game just to slow down or change the momentum of a game.

Challenging a call create a disruption in play and honestly forces an issue for the TV broadcasts themselves.. do they cut to another unscheduled commercial or stay and play the jeopardy music?

I have no issue with a coach getting dinged the additional challenge if they lost another challenge earlier in the game. With the technology of today.. they should have little doubt before throwing the red hanky.. if not.. take your chances.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I realize correlation is not causation, but ISTM that officiating has in general got worse since replay has been availiable.

Not to mention everyone/everything is getting more and more legalistic (e.g., "process", "second move", etc.)

I know it'll never happen -- we'll see more and more tech looking at more and more stuff instead -- but I'm starting to believe we'd be better off if you got rid of it entirely.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
If you had a chance to challenge every play in the game, then why wouldn't you just challenge every negative play for your team.

What I don't understand it is this: if you get your two first challenges right, you get a third one. But if you get that right you don't get anymore. It doesn't make sense that way, it's like the system is built so that officials can screw the game for you. I think if you got every challenge right, you should have as much challenges as you like until you blow one.
This is a placeholder
Greg C.
13 years ago

If you had a chance to challenge every play in the game, then why wouldn't you just challenge every negative play for your team.

What I don't understand it is this: if you get your two first challenges right, you get a third one. But if you get that right you don't get anymore. It doesn't make sense that way, it's like the system is built so that officials can screw the game for you. I think if you got every challenge right, you should have as much challenges as you like until you blow one.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Yeah, it should be something like that. I would propose that each team gets two wrong challenges per game. If you're wrong twice, you don't deserve another one. But until then, you get as many as you want. That's how it works in tennis, on a set-by-set basis.

Right now, teams are only allowed two challenges unless both are overturned, and even then they are only allowed three. I don't think it's a major time issue for the networks because they can run commercials during challenges, then eliminate commercial breaks later in the game as necessary.
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
I think it works like it is. 2 challenges, a third if you get the 1st 2 right.
Any more and you slow the game to a standstill.
Unlimited challenges, and you would see teams challenge just to get a clock stoppage. Or to try to change momentum.
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
13 years ago
I think they should use the "Double Dog Dare Ya" challenge.

Scene: Lambeau Field; late December; temperature hovering around a balmy 0 degrees with wind off the bay.

Coach Grant of the Vikings has arisen to take over the hapless and domeless Vikings who now play their games at Winona State U. stadium which seats around 12,000 who could care less. Play goes against Vikings and Buddy, who thought they scored a TD, immediately throws the red flag, which is intercepted by Charles Woodson who is in his 25th season and leads the world in intercepted red flags.

Ref: "What the hell you challenging, Bud? You couldn't see that Favres' cane was down on the 20 yard line? That was no touchdown dummy. You're on your own 20!"

Bud: "I'm still challenging it, under principle. Ya gotta review it. I Dare you to review it."

Ref: "Yeah, well I Double Dog Dare you to pick that red flag up and shove it up your.............!"

Bud: "Oh, the old Double Dog Dare, huh? Well, I Triple Dog Dare you to stick your tongue on that goal post over there."

Ref: "You think I'm nuts. Besides that doesn't work. My old man says it's a crock of crap. But, I'll do it if you come and stick your old petrified tongue on the post too."

And so, as darkness settles over Lambeau and Green Bay, passengers on flights arriving at Austin Stroebel Field look out in awe and amazement to see Ref Jerry Markbreit and Coach Bud Grant stuck tightly to the goal post, arms waving frantically.

And some even say they could hear feint cries in the night..."Elp, I'n thuck."

"Thut up Bud."

"I ubble dog dare ou! I thallege that call."
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
It's not challenges are free. You lose a timeout, I don't really agree with the theory that suddenly coaches would start throwing out challenges left and right.

If the above is true that if you get both right you get a third but not a fourth. Then if you get two challenges right, its a playoff game. You get a third right. Then in the 4th quarter something extremely obvious happens, I just don't see the logic that you get punished and you could lose the game because the NFL doesn't want more breaks. I just assumed if your going to have instant replay in a sport, its main purpose is to make sure the right call is called.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (7h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (22h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (22h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.