peteralan71
13 years ago

He had NO interceptions (hosed him for incentives)

"dfosterf" wrote:

Revis also had no interceptions this year. This could very well mean that the opposing QB doesn't want to throw at Asomugha, much like the situation with Darelle Revis.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
We all know that stats tell the whole story.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
13 years ago

"peteralan71" wrote:

Revis also had no interceptions this year. This could very well mean that the opposing QB doesn't want to throw at Asomugha, much like the situation with Darelle Revis.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Not "could very well mean"...that is EXACTLY what it means, peteralan.

imo
peteralan71
13 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

"peteralan71" wrote:

Not "could very well mean"...that is EXACTLY what it means, peteralan.

imo

"dfosterf" wrote:

Exactly. So why are you using the "no interceptions" as an excuse to say that he is overrated? Seems to me that you are currently contradicting yourself....
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Uh, he was contradicting IronMan, not himself.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

Exactly. So why are you using the "no interceptions" as an excuse to say that he is overrated? Seems to me that you are currently contradicting yourself....

"Peteralan" wrote:

Sarcasm.. it is an art.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
IronMan
13 years ago
Asomugha is Al Harris with a cool name. I understand that he shuts guys down. But an elite CB to me, is a guy who shuts wrs down AND makes plays, AND is a good tackler/good vs the run. Asomugha is a one trick pony.
DakotaT
13 years ago

"Pack93z" wrote:

Sarcasm.. it is an art.

"Peteralan" wrote:

I keep asking you to put up a sarcasm smiley so people can understand things.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago

Asomugha is Al Harris with a cool name. I understand that he shuts guys down. But an elite CB to me, is a guy who shuts wrs down AND makes plays, AND is a good tackler/good vs the run. Asomugha is a one trick pony.

"IronMan" wrote:

There is nothing really to argue about. We both know damn well he isn't coming here, but it is kind of fun to at least speculate a little. He is what he is in Oakland, and we could speculate about what he would be here-- which just might be different, and a shutdown cornerback is never a bad thing to have.

The bottom line, though, is the bottom line...

...as in, $$$$

I'd put better odds on the proverbial snowball in hell-

God, you are bitchy at times this year :tongue3: cheer the f$ck up a little would ya :pottytrain2:

This is fun to read:

Losing Nnamdi Asomugha would rock the Oakland Raiders world 

It was touching, the support Tom Cable received from inside the Raiders locker room after being dismissed as the team's head coach. As lovely parting gifts go, it was better than a silver and black watch.

Punter Shane Lechler called it a "huge setback" and predicted the move could cost the team a chance to re-sign free agents such as Robert Gallery and Michael Bush.

Gallery called it "definitely a step back." We could go on, but you get the point. By and large, the Raiders liked Cable. They enjoyed playing for him. They're going to miss him. But a mass exodus?

Look, Cable gets high marks for being a realist, for understanding the Raiders' peculiar dynamics, for acting as a firewall between the players and the madness, and for doing it well enough to lead the team to its first non-losing season since 2002.

But 8-8 isn't to be confused with 13-3. And even in the unlikely event that the pro-Cable sentiment doesn't subside over the next few months, how many free agents would you fear losing from an 8-8 team? Bush? Gallery? Johnnie Lee Higgins? Not likely.

Richard Seymour? Zach Miller? We're getting warmer.

Nnamdi Asomugha? Whoa.

It was reported Sunday, and confirmed by the Raiders, that Asomugha's contract voided after the recently completed season. In part because of injury, he failed to reach a number of incentives during the 2010 season that would have triggered his contract for 2011.

This changes things. For starters, Asomugha is the Raiders' best every-down player. Another reason he failed to reach incentives such as interceptions and fumble recoveries is that he is so well-regarded as a cornerback that opposing teams rarely throw in his direction.

In addition, he exudes professionalism. You can never have enough in a locker room. More than a few Raiders teams of recent vintage haven't had nearly enough.

He's also a thoughtful and articulate team spokesman after games. He's a little like Cable in that he acknowledges the organizational idiosyncrasies without using them as an excuse or allowing them to affect his play.

As good as he is, he still may not be worth the $38 million the Raiders have paid him the past three years. His $16.8 million-plus salary for 2011 would be a tough squeeze under a salary cap (assuming one is part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement).

But in terms of psychic value to the team, no one is as valuable to the Raiders as Asomugha. If he left, the odds on a mass exodus go up. But don't take our word. Take Michael Huff's tweet:

"Looks like Nnamdi is on the market," Huff, a Raiders free safety, wrote on his Twitter account. "So he's a free agent. I'm a free agent and (cornerback Stanford) Routt is a free agent. This is gonna be interesting."

There are different flavors of interesting. Huff has never lived up to the faith the Raiders showed in him by making him the seventh pick in the 2006 draft. Eight defensive backs drafted lower than he was have more career interceptions. Six have more tackles. Two have more sacks.

Routt handled himself credibly this season given that he sees a high volume of passes from teams that avoid Asomugha's side of the field. But with six interceptions in 93 career games, he isn't what you would call an impact player.

Of the three, only Asomugha would leave a hole too big to be filled. If all three left, it says here, Huff and Routt might be disappointed in the level of interest they receive from other teams. They might find, as they did on their respective draft days, that no one loves them more than do the Raiders.

Wouldn't that be interesting?

Of course, whether Asomugha stays or goes won't be determined until the NFL's owners and players reach a new labor agreement. But if you were he, wouldn't you want out? You've satisfied whatever individual ambitions you had coming into the NFL -- money, awards, adulation.

The only thing left is team success. Since Asomugha came to Oakland, the Raiders are 37-91. During his career at Cal, the Bears were 11-23. With Asomugha set to turn 30 just before training camp starts this summer, it's easy to imagine him seizing this opportunity to see what winning tastes like.

If he does that, it's easier still to imagine his departure making any Tom Cable blowback seem like last year's news.

all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Asomugha is Al Harris with a cool name.

"IronMan" wrote:

You make a very interesting comparison. Al basically grew up playing press-man, and that is what he excelled at.

Asomugha has also grown up playing press-man with the Raiders. In Capers scheme, he has to be able to play off. I'm not saying he cannot do / learn it, but it will require an adjustment as well as Asomugha being a sound tackler.

That said, I would be friggin' excited to the moon if we signed him.

You essentially replace Bush as your dime back with Shields, and can send out Tramon - Woodson / Shields - Shields / Woodson - Asomugha with Collins and Burnett / Peprah at safety in dime packages.

The interesting thing, also, to note is that Woodson would be a pretty fine complement to Collins. When Burnett was playing SS this year, we were playing Collins closer to the line and leaving Burnett to drop more in coverage. Frankly, I think that is a waste of Collins' talent. He needs to be paired with someone that is more suited to playing in the box and being a good tackler - I do not think it is a coincidence that Collins' play stepped up after Burnett went out and Peprah (less suited to playing deep all the time) came in. I personally think Woodson may complement Collins the best on this team if moved to Safety.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (8h) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (13h) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (19h) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.