all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Well there are guys on the roster with sizeable contracts that might not be back in 2011.

Clifton.
Driver
Barnett

come to mind rapidly.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I'm not sure Clifton is a candidate to be released, even given his contract amount + structure. He has been reliable for the most part this year, and been relatively healthy.

Driver, I think, has shown he can still be reliable. Against Philly, he had 5 catches, four of which were for first down. Yes he was not at his best during the season, but I really wonder if Ted will cut Driver given his experience and leadership.

If we're going to talk about Barnett, we might as well mention Hawk, who has a higher price than Barnett and has 1 less year left on his contract.

I wasn't intending to draw a direct reference between the two, rather trying to state given that we may resign Jenkins, there may be limits imposed on us (like you mentioned, in terms of cap and guaranteed money) that prohibit us from competing for Asomugha's services.

It is all speculation because we don't know what the CBA will be like... so this is pretty much an exercise in speculating circumstances.

But I did overlook the fact that we could very well cut some player - an ILB, for example - and save money there and use that. Asomugha would look good in Green and Gold...
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
13 years ago
All I was trying to do is reference that there are so many moving parts on a roster that we can't draw direct references between player A or B.

Do I think Chad is in Green and Gold next season.. most likely. Good insurance if nothing else.

Driver. Probably.. on heart and determination alone.

Barnett... don't think he will be.. Hawk and Bishop have performed very well in tandem.. I think Hawk will be extended with a better cap number and Barnett will be moved, reduced or released.

The building of a roster is more dynamic than Player A or Player B at two different positions on the roster. Nothing more.

Sorry if it came off harsh or wrong.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
aa-rod_is_cool
13 years ago

I am not trying to make a case that we should run out and chase NA..

But to draw a direct reference between Jenkins and signing a NA isn't really valid.. as the roster ingredients can change rapidly in the off season.

We don't have any idea what the CBA will do to caps, contracts and guaranteed money..

"Pack93z" wrote:

Yes you're right, I was mostly thinking along the lines that both Nnamdi and Cullen will command alot of money and Green Bay could only afford one if they wanted to retain a complete roster. But we have no idea about what the CBA will be like as you said.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I guess what I'm saying is: Adding Asomugha to a Capers-designed defense would be cool. Adding Asomugha to a non-Capers defense with the Packers current personnel would probably not work.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

So you're saying any other DC having Williams, Woodson, Shields and Asomugha along with Collins wouldn't be able to make it work? Sorry, but if that's true, then that person shouldn't be a DC. lol.

"Wade" wrote:

What I'm saying is "making it work" requires a willingness to build the defense around the strengths of the players. Many coordinators would rather fit the players to the system, than the system to the players. What has been genius about Capers this year is how he has put his players in positions to utilize their unique abilities. How many DCs are going to risk using a DPOY cornerback to play roving linebacker?

I'm not saying Capers is the only DC who would do this. I'm saying that if you have three topshelf cornerbacks (Asomugha, Woodson, Williams) and a fourth who's growing by leaps and bounds (Shields), to make it work you are going to have to shift someone somewhere. And that shifting is more than just saying "Charles, you play safety." It's saying "Charles, you're going to be doing this and this and this, some of which is safety-type stuff, some of which is CB-type stuff, and some of which is neither.

Think of the coordinators we had before Capers. Do you really think some of those guys are going to be as willing to/as able to go outside the box the way Capers has?

And, it seems to me, unless you have someone who does, it would be silly to spend what its going to cost to get Asomugha.

Capers has demonstrated to me that he would make it worth the acquisition cost. That's what I'm saying.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

The building of a roster is more dynamic than Player A or Player B at two different positions on the roster. Nothing more.

Sorry if it came off harsh or wrong.

"Pack93z" wrote:

No need to apologize at all; you were right that I overlooked the fact that roster fluidity would contribute to much of the decisions. That is a valid point that I overlooked. I hope my post did not come off as harsh, I was trying to really get to the point, not act offended.

I also wonder if Woodson would be willing to perhaps reduce some of his salary if don't have sufficient money to sign Asomugha. But so much can change with player releases and the new CBA that it is fruitless to speculate when so much can potentially change.

I do disagree that Barnett is more at risk than Hawk, but that is a debate for another time and in another thread. 🙂
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
evad04
13 years ago
Much has been made of the Jets' secondary, what with Cromartie and a dominant Revis. If Green Bay were to bring in Nnamdi Asomugha there's no doubt who'd be crowned as paper champs of the secondary. It's actually a little chilling to imagine a defense with NA's blanket cover skills; Woodson's playmaking and toughness; Tramon's shutdown potential; and Nick Collins' closing speed.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I'd sort of make the parallel to Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain. Granted for them the depth was more along the front seven -- Greene, Lambert, Ham, Greenwood (not forgetting about Mel Blount -- but he was in the secondary). I know, those guys are HOFers. The point here is that Green Bay would possess an absurd amount of talent on defense.

I'm still quite jazzed about our prospects this year ... but the thought of nabbing Asomugha m-m-m-makes me stutter.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Unless he's willing to work for free or close to it, he won't be playing for either the Jets or the Packers next year - neither has the money to sign him without gutting the rest of their team.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I don't disagree with the point being made, however, we don't know how much money we'll have until the CBA is finalized and made public.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That's just one aspect of it. On one hand you've got to have room under the salary cap. On the other hand you have to actually have enough cash to pay out a contract. This isn't Monopoly money, and the Packers don't have a billionaire owner to bankroll a spending spree.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Again, we don't know what the cap will be so to say that he'd cost us more than we can spend because of the cap is premature. The point was acknowledge in a previous post as well.

All I'm saying is ... it shouldn't be ruled out. If he truly WANTS to come to the Packers, there's a reason, and its a ring, its not money. The guy has millions of dollars already and I think now he wants a ring more than money.

Edit, going more to my point about how much money he already has. He was paid $38 million in the last three years. If he goes to the highest bidder, he's not the type of player we'd want anyhow.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

We all know that stats tell the whole story.. ;)

"Pack93z" wrote:

Good thing we didn't get that Charles Woodson guy back in the day because he was injury prone and over the hill.

btw, Ted has said that he believes you can add defensive players easier than offensive in free agency. He said offensive players in free agency are more of a risk.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Exactly. So why are you using the "no interceptions" as an excuse to say that he is overrated? Seems to me that you are currently contradicting yourself....

"DakotaT" wrote:

Sarcasm.. it is an art.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I keep asking you to put up a sarcasm smiley so people can understand things.

"Peteralan" wrote:

Not sure what ya expected the big fella to do, but whats wrong with the one we have?

:sarcasm:
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago

Exactly. So why are you using the "no interceptions" as an excuse to say that he is overrated? Seems to me that you are currently contradicting yourself....

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Sarcasm.. it is an art.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I keep asking you to put up a sarcasm smiley so people can understand things.

"Pack93z" wrote:

Not sure what ya expected the big fella to do, but whats wrong with the one we have?

:sarcasm:

"Peteralan" wrote:

My bad.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (9h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (9h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (13h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (13h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.