Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Familiar foes meet in divisional round

Peter Schrager is a frequent contributor to NFL and college football coverage on FOXSports.com. Feel free to e-mail him at peterschrager@gmail.com.

To say this weekends playoff matchups feature a few familiar bedfellows going at it would be quite the understatement. In addition to Rex Ryans Jets squaring off with Bill Belichicks Patriots for a third time and a much-anticipated Ravens-Steelers Part III, both NFC divisional-round games happen to be rematches of games played on the very same fields, no less earlier this season.

And yes, I promise never to mention the word bedfellow and Rex Ryan in the same sentence again. Well, not without a pithy foot reference squeezed in there, at least.

Since the implementation of the wild-card round in 1978 through last years 2009 playoffs, there never had been a postseason in which a conference's two divisional-round games featured separate pairs of division foes going head-to-head. This years AFC side of the postseason bracket has broken that trend.

The AFCs divisional-round slate not only features two of the games richest rivalries from the past 10 years, but also happens to be a redo of a wild Week 13, which gave us a down-to-the-wire 13-10 Sunday night Steelers win over the Ravens and a 45-3 Pats blowout of the Jets 24 hours later.

Everyone said it going into that weekend in December these four teams were the best the AFC had to offer.

A month later, it turns out everyone was right on the money with that assessment.

"It's Armageddon for all four teams, and there can only be one winner at the end," Ravens sack master Terrell Suggs said in Sundays postgame news conference in Kansas City. "What better teams than these four?"

Familiarity might breed contempt (and in the case of the fans of all four of these squads, trust me, it absolutely does), but does it breed any leg up or advantage in game preparation? Does playing a team twice in the regular season make you any more ready for a playoff meeting?

According to Belichick, no.

"I dont think the last game or even the first game, either one of those games, is going to mean a whole lot," Belichick said in his Sunday news conference. "Both teams know each other well. We're ready for a whole new week of preparation. Even though we're familiar with them and they're familiar with us, it feels like every time you play a team games go a lot differently."

Tom Brady will study film of the Jets defense this week, no doubt, but its not like he lost sleep over the thought of facing his longtime division rivals over the weekend. Brady, 15-4 all-time as a starter vs. the Jets (including the playoffs), didnt spend his Saturday night watching Jets-Colts pacing around his apartment with a pen and notebook in his hands. Nah, he was in Manhattan, taking in a Broadway show (Lombardi, which I reviewed here), with his wife Gisele Bundchen.

As for the Jets? A 42-point blowout on national television isnt just some ordinary, run-of-the-mill loss. In fact, the 1991 Detroit Lions were the last team to lose by 40 points in the regular season to an opponent and have a shot to avenge such a blowout in the playoffs. Howd that squad fare? The eventual Super Bowl champion Redskins beat them 41-10 in the postseason.

"We've been wanting the Patriots for a while now," tight end Dustin Keller said after Saturday nights win. "Ever since that game."

Following the Dec. 6 loss, a somewhat humbled Rex Ryan said of Bill Belichick, I came in here to kick his butt, and he kicked mine. There are a zillion things to correct."

Well, the Jets coaching staff has eight days to correct them.

Local New York radio jock Mike Francesca joked the Tuesday morning after that blowout loss, It was like watching Albert Einstein go up against Alfred E. Newman. Who could argue? To be certain, the Jets 28-14 win in September feels like a distant memory now. Randy Moss, who? Its What have you done lately?, and in the case of Vegas, the 42-point margin, in addition to the home-field advantage and a 13-1 run since Week 2s loss has resulted in New England being a nine-point favorite over New York for this one.

A New York upset though certainly possible would be considered a shocker by most.

Like the Jets and Pats, the Steelers and Ravens also split their season series in both 2009 and 2010. But its worth noting that Ben Roethlisberger didnt play in either of Pittsburghs two losses. In fact, Joe Flacco and John Harbaugh now winners of road playoff games in each of their first three seasons as coach and quarterback in Baltimore have still never beaten Big Ben, going 0-3 in 2008 and losing to him in regular-season meetings in each of the past two years.

This is going to be the second time in my career that we've played them three times in a season. And those games are always a lot of fun. We're going to go up there and give it our best, the always-vanilla Joe Flacco said Sunday after his Ravens disposed of the Chiefs 30-7 in Kansas City.

Though the Ravens havent had much luck vs. Roethlisberger of late, theyve certainly gotten in some good shots on him and left an impression. In the Dec. 5 meeting, Roethlisberger was sacked by the Ravens defense three times, while playing on a broken foot. Trailing 10-6 in the first half, he was hit and suffered a broken nose.

''It hurt a lot,'' Roethlisberger said of his foot after the Week 13 win, ''but the broken nose took some of the pain away.''

And the victory one that ultimately gave the Steelers the home field for this weekends battle likely did too.

Theres an old saying that you cant beat a team three times in a season. Like my pre-playoffs prediction of the Saints easily dispatching the Seahawks and making a second consecutive Super Bowl appearance, that old saying is, well, just plain wrong.

Of the 19 times a team has played a division opponent in the playoffs after sweeping the season series, that same team has won the third meeting 12 times. Why mention this fact when neither of these two matchups feature teams that have swept the other? To show that for as much as people might want to believe otherwise, certain teams do have the edge over certain other teams come playoff time.

Contrary to the belief of some, theres definite value in stats, empirical data and recent history when analyzing division opponents. Throwing out the records when these two teams play is silly, and often times just another lazy old clich.

With Flacco winless vs. Roethlisberger and the Jets having not beaten a Brady-led squad in Gillette Stadium since 2006, you can understand why the Steelers and Patriots are the big favorites this weekend. If theres anything that cant be tracked by raw data and statistical analysis, though, its the emotions in the veteran Ravens' and Jets' locker rooms and the ability such emotions can have on an outcome of this weekend's games. How much does Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed wanting to beat Pittsburgh in Heinz Field factor into Saturday's game? Does a 42-point loss in December make the Jets any more hungry for a win on Sunday?

All things considered, in the AFC, the advantage has to go to the two home teams this weekend; both because of their recent victories in head-to-head matchups and their recent string of multiple season success over their opponents.

As for the NFCs two rematches of duels that took place earlier in the season, theres a significant difference when analyzing the matchups.

Seattle beat the Bears in Chicago on Oct. 15. Since that loss, Chicago won seven of 10 games, including victories over the Eagles and Jets at home. The Seahawks, meanwhile, lost all but one of their remaining regular season road games by an average of more than 21 points. Then again, Seattle is also coming off an offensive explosion against the Saints on Saturday.

Clearly, you can take less stock in that Oct. 15 game when evaluating the outcome of this one. Matt Forte carried the ball just six times and Lance Briggs missed the game with an injury. Chicago's won several big games and quite frankly, Jay Cutler's become a better player since the loss. Too small of a sample size; too much has changed. If anything, the early-season victory might give Seattle a bit more confidence heading into Sundays bout. But after beating the defending Super Bowl champions, how much more confidence do they really need?

As for the Falcons and Packers, their Thanksgiving weekend clash made for one of the better regular-season games of the year. But the Packers appear to be an entirely different team than the one that traveled to Atlanta in November. Suddenly, theres a running game, with rookie James Starks gashing Philadelphias stout run defense for 123 yards on 23 carries. Erik Walden, unemployed in October and a non-factor in the earlier meeting, had 16 tackles and three sacks vs. the Bears in Week 17 and five tackles in the win over Philly. Itd be foolish to write off this Packers team despite their No. 6 seed based solely on a last-second three-point loss in November.

All four playoff games will be hyped this week as rematches of earlier season bouts. You'll see highlights of Matt Bryant's game-winning field goal in November and get more than your share of Danny Woodhead clips. Having seen their opponents in the flesh already might very well help all eight teams' coaching staffs prepare for their divisional-round matchups.

But in the playoffs, each game has its own feel, its own unique set of storylines, and its own flow.

The Jets and Ravens have things to prove in their arch-rivals' buildings, while the Bears and Packers are looking to erase early season defeats and advance to the NFC Championship Game.

The opponents might look familiar this weekend, sure. But the stakes?

Well, they're a whole lot higher.

In the end, it'll be the four teams that seize the moment and answer the call this weekend that will advance to the next round.

And there's no statistic, game tape, or bulletin board material that can accurately predict who'll end up doing that.

UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago
IMO
NFC Championship = Packers vs. Bears-Packers Win

AFC Championship = Steelers vs. Patriots- Steelers Win

Super Bowl XLV
Packers vs. Steelers
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dhazer
13 years ago

IMO

Super Bowl XLV
Packers vs. Steelers

"dhpackr" wrote:

If that happens I will hate you lol. I live in the heart of Steeler country and my heart wouldn't be able to handle that pressure. If the Steelers won I would never hear the end of it, and of course if the Packers won it was because we got lucky. Thats how their fans roll.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Packers vs Ravens would be a dream Super Bowl. Steelers shouldn't get in, Ben has had their defense raise the Lombardi for him too many times already.
This is a placeholder
Formo
13 years ago
From the looks of things, and from what I've seen from the NFC this season.. Whatever AFC team makes the Super Bowl is gonna win.

That's my prediction. In that case, I'm hoping for the Jets.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Porforis
13 years ago

From the looks of things, and from what I've seen from the NFC this season.. Whatever AFC team makes the Super Bowl is gonna win.

"Formo" wrote:

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about Formo's NFC predictions being gospel. 😉
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

I lean towards that thinking as well, albeit I want the Packers to win it all of course.

One thing has been tossed around the radio broadcasts is the Packers are built for indoor climate controlled games. The Bears, Steelers, Falcons (weird huh), Ravens and Jets aren't. I didn't hear any one mention the Seahawks.

Anyhow, those teams are built for long drives, typically running the ball. They can also pass, but are supposedly more dominant running the ball and killing the clock with short passes.

I think one included the Patriots, not sure, but the others were mentioned each time.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

IMO

Super Bowl XLV
Packers vs. Steelers

"dhpackr" wrote:

I got to say this is my prediction also; although Id much rather have the hawks win and we face them and then Id rather balt go vs NE and we take on balt ...

I wish our game was on sunday nite; wont feel like watching sundays games if the pack hmmm ya not even going to consider that ...
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (9h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (11h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (14h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (15h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.