Week 12: Charlie Peprah
Week 13: Tramon Williams
Week 14: Tramon Williams
Week 15: Charles Woodson
Week 16: AJ Hawk
Week 17: Defense
Wild Card: Tramon Williams
Divisional: Tramon Williams

You know how many quarterbacks completed more than 65% of their passes on us this season? 1. His name is Matt Ryan, twice. This says something about his style of quarterbacking. Ryan's a smart quarterback who can get the ball out quickly and on time. He does a nice job of hitting his hot reads once he recognizes the defensive look. However, by continually doing this, he makes sacrifices in pushing the ball down the field and that's why he passed for less than 200 yards on both occasions on only a 6.7 YPA, only 0.2 above our regular season average. This shows a lot about how bendable our defense is and how well Capers can gameplan for opposing quarterbacks. He's able to get the same results every week regardless of how opponents want to attack this defense. He forces them to dictate how they'll play us and that is objective number one for every defense in the league.

The other big number to look at is 11 for 116...Roddy White's totals in the 2 games we played them this season. It had been 7 games since White went over the 100 yard mark in a game, but limiting a receiver of his caliber twice is still pretty impressive. Of course the primary reason for it is Tramon Williams who shadowed White as much as we have with any other top receiver this year. Not only did he make White a non-factor, but he was responsible for probably a 13 point swing. No defensive play was bigger than the pick 6 at the end of the half, which allowed us to turn a 7 point lead into a 21 point lead. Terrific read and heads up play by Tramon to realize the down, distance, and situation then an even better play to not only eliminate the field goal attempt, but to make the cutback to the end zone. The other pick will probably be talked as a poor throw by Matt Ryan on a play where Tramon was beat. That's only half true. Yes the throw was poor. Ryan was late on the pass (possibly his only one in our two games) and put a little too much air under it. Tramon on the other hand was never beat. With a Cover 2 shell over the top, he sunk underneath the receiver, which with help over the top would have needed a perfect throw to get 6. When the ball hung, he capitalized on the opportunity. The touchdown was in zone coverage. Hard to see what should have happened ideally, but he had a flat zone as Shields had on the other side. There was no one approaching his zone and by the time he reacted, White found a little ally and took it in for 6. It was an uncharacteristic drive by this entire defense allowing the opposition to punch it in that quickly.

By the looks of it, Shields didn't have a terrific game, which he didn't. However, it wasn't terrible as we've experienced from our sub-package defensive backs in the past. He's always in great position and is never "burned". The fact that his first penalty of the season was this late in the year is remarkable. Truth be told, the penalty wasn't even that bad. He made a play on the ball based on the receivers eyes and moves, but never turned around. I'm absolutely excited to watch his progression through the years. Corner is one of the hardest positions to learn as a rookie and Shields has played as well as anyone could have expected from him. He's a dependable nickel.

Collins had a great game in coverage. Hawk did a terrific job underneath helping force two big stops on his completions. Bishop still looks a bit stiff out there in coverage and still needs to improve his fundamentals and discipline in run defense. This should come with experience and further coaching. For now, we can live with the bad for a lot of good.

The astute observer should notice two things missing from this week's chart. One which was also nonexistent in our last meeting with the Falcons. Looks like they respect the discipline of this defense. [url=Pro_News/aid=161.html]full article[/url].
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
I think what's missing are the "screen" and "other" categories.

What I don't understand is why Ryan's QB rating is lower than it is for every defender except for Nick Collins, and the two attempts against him were not nearly enough to drag the rating down that far. So there has to be a mistake in calculating the number, right? It has to be way higher than 69.0, which happens to be his completion percentage.

I watched the game again and Shields looked better than he did the first time around. One of the catches against him, I think it was by Jenkins, was a one-hander against great coverage.

The Falcons dink and dunk and run the ball a lot, which means that they have a limited ability to come back once they get down by a couple of scores. The Packers really exposed that deficiency.
blank
RashaanSalaami
13 years ago

I think what's missing are the "screen" and "other" categories.

What I don't understand is why Ryan's QB rating is lower than it is for every defender except for Nick Collins, and the two attempts against him were not nearly enough to drag the rating down that far. So there has to be a mistake in calculating the number, right? It has to be way higher than 69.0, which happens to be his completion percentage.

I watched the game again and Shields looked better than he did the first time around. One of the catches against him, I think it was by Jenkins, was a one-hander against great coverage.

The Falcons dink and dunk and run the ball a lot, which means that they have a limited ability to come back once they get down by a couple of scores. The Packers really exposed that deficiency.

"Greg C." wrote:

You're right on the "Other" and "Screen". It's kinda surprising the Falcons didn't even have one attempt in 2 games against us on screen passes. The "Other" is probably just an anomaly.

Anyways, I had to double check the QB Rating thing, but if you go to ESPN, it has him as a 69.0 as well. I didn't notice it until you brought it up, but it is very odd. If you remove Collins' 2 targets from the equation, it bumps up to a 74.0. QB Rating is a complicated figure, but it has something to do with the TD% and the INT%, most likely the latter. INTs are weighed pretty heavily in the Rating I believe so while there are 0 picks for all of the players (except Tramon), when you add them altogether, the INT% is still very poor, which is why it hurts the QB Rating. The YPA isn't particularly high either. Still, a very interesting observation to which I'd definitely like the answer, but just don't want to put in the effort in discovering it for myself.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
Thanks for the link, Zero. I used it to compute Ryan's overall rating and his ratings against Tramon and Shields, and they matched the numbers on this page. Just when I thought I was beginning to understand QB rating, THIS happens. How can a bunch of numbers not average out to the overall number? I hate math.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (7h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (10h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.