Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Never a dull moment......now the young guy that lives next to us is moving out. And he was VERY nice and VERY quiet. Hopefully whoever moves in next to us will be as nice.
The last 2 weeks have been great as far as sleep goes. Don't know what summer will bring, but i'm not unpacking any boxes. Been burned too much to do that. Just live out of boxes for now.
Although we are now locked into a one year lease.
But for now, it's good. Taking it one day at a time.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Time to move north into a more rural environment.. there are dozens of house in the area up here for rent.. most under 400/month.

A number of factories and openings in the paper each week.

The bonus.. tons of fishing available. :thumbleft:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
13 years ago
Dang...i'd LOVE that. But fact is, wife has been at her place of employement for 17 years. And has good health insurance (which we pay alot for). Without that insurance, we would have been screwed with my heart surgery.
And when you are in your 50's, it's really hard to find a new job and start from scratch.
It's that way though.......where houses are reasonably priced, there are few good paying jobs.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Well time and time again I have heard you mention that her job doesn't treat here well.. so I thought I would mention it.

Don't know what LJ does for employment.. but most the jobs in the area are manufacturing or food production... and pay pretty well for the area.

But the biggest thing for me.. in raising a couple kids, is the slower paced life.. not to mention being able to sit outside the house and hear nothing but the birds chirping.

Quality of life has to be factored in as well.

But that is a self biased opinion.. as I am not one for a city.. where concrete and blacktop dominate, not to mention a neighbor a short toss away.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
13 years ago
True Shawn,....they treat her like crap. But to start from scratch in your 50's isn't easy.
And truth is, most jobs treat you like crap now adays. That's what i have seen from my own life expieriences.
Look at how many people around my age have to work at McD's and such, because they have been "fazed out" of their good paying jobs so that younger people can have the jobs. The companies that you bust your butt for don't want to pay, and this "get rid" of those that actually built the company.

It's a dog eat dog world today. Very little compassion at jobs.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I agree with you about the difficulties of starting from scratch in your 50s, Alan, and about the fact that far too many employers treat their workers like crap.

I've come to believe that the only hope is to somehow put together a skill set that allows you to be an independent contractor. Something that gets done in "projects" across multiple organizations rather than "jobs" centered in a single company.

But I'm finding it real hard going to re-invent myself in my 50s. You can't just drop everything and "go back to school" and learn a new trade. And you can't just develop those new skills in your "spare time" (hahaha) either. And of course being in your 50s means health matters become more and more constricting.

What keeps me going -- besides the depression meds and the God thing, that is -- is when I can somehow find an hour or so every day where I'm doing something that fits my ideas of "the re-invention of Wade" or "the exit strategy from the crap of the job".

Even if I may never escape in reality, even if I never manage to "start over", even if I end up hating to get up every work day for the rest of my life, having an hour or so of "fun activity" that "moves me closer" to doing so keeps me going.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Don't think of "changing my life" as the goal (even though, this is in fact what you want to do). Instead pursue "moving toward changing my life" as your goal. Then, when a day is done, instead of thinking of all the things you still have to do before things change, you can think of the day as a success as long as you "moved closer."

My guess -- my belief -- is that if you do a bit every day, you'll get to that ultimate goal, and sooner than you can imagine now. But even if you never get to that ultimate goal, you've strove for it in a way that you feel good about what you did accomplish.

I'm convinced that no one accomplishes everything they want to do in life. That for all of us, we're going to die leaving things undone and unaccomplished. That not only do we not finish everything on our "bucket list", we don't even finish making the full bucket list itself.

But I'm also convinced if we can convince ourselves (and each other) that we're making progress, and that each of the "small steps" of that progress are worth lots and lots, then we're going to be able to accomplish a lot more than we otherwise would.

And I'm betting that God will agree that we did good by doing so.

And maybe, in the end, this last is what keeps me going. It's not just that I feel better by "accenting the positive every day." It's that I think what God wants from me is striving for something positive every day. That I believe he knows I'm going to die with stuff undone, and that he's okay with that as long as I've been putting in the effort to do stuff.

To paraphrase Saint Vince, God doesn't much care whether I win. But he cares that I keep striving to win.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (2h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (8h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (10h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (10h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (12h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (12h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (12h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (13h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (13h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.