macbob
13 years ago
The Bennet move was a bit of a surprise, but reading the article below put it in a little better perspective. I'm still scratching my head about the Fontenot move from asst OL to RB coach. We'll see how that works out.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110225/PKR01/110225153/Team-fills-coaching-vacancies-with-surprise-inside-moves 

Green Bay Packers fill coaching vacancies from inside with surprise moves

INDIANAPOLIS Mike McCarthys coaching changes, on paper, look strange indeed

On Friday afternoon, the Green Bay Packers coach announced that Edgar Bennett is leaving his post as running backs coach and replacing departed Jimmy Robinson as receivers coach.

Bennetts background has nothing to suggest this as a way to fill the receivers job. He played running back for eight seasons in the NFL, and its the only position hes coached in his six seasons as an NFL assistant.

But after Robinson left the Packers to become assistant head coach-receivers coach for the Dallas Cowboys two weeks ago, Bennett went hard after the receivers job and won over McCarthy with his preparation and attention to detail. It was enough to convince the Packers coach that Bennetts desire to expand his expertise also will be good for the team.

At the end of the day the guy jumped through the door to do the job, McCarthy said Friday after his annual press conference at the NFL scouting combine. Im going to be there, Tom (Clements, the quarterbacks coach) is going to be there. Weve got a veteran group (at receiver). Its going to be healthy.

Along with moving Bennett to receivers coach, McCarthy made another unusual move by promoting Jerry Fontenot from offensive line assistant to replace Bennett as running backs coach. Fontenot had a 16-year career as an offensive lineman in the NFL and had helped coach the Packers offensive line the past five years.

McCarthy also promoted John Rushing from offensive quality control coach to a combined role as assistant wide receivers coach-special teams coach, and hired Joel Hilgenberg as the new offensive quality control coach. Hilgenberg had a 10-year career as an NFL offensive lineman and was an intern on the Packers staff for part of last offseason and training camp.

While the moves for Bennett and Fontenot appear unusual considering their backgrounds, theyre hardly unprecedented job changes in the NFL. This offseason, for instance, Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid made a major out-of-the-box change on his coaching staff by moving offensive line coach Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator. Castillo had been the Eagles offensive line coach the past 13 years, though he had some background on defense, as a player at linebacker for Texas A&I and then San Antonio of the USFL; as a linebackers-defensive line coach at Texas A&M-Kingsville from 1982-85; and as a defensive coordinator as a high school assistant in Texas from 1986-89.

In Bennetts six seasons as the Packers running backs coach, hes proven to be conscientious, a hard worker and a good teacher, so theres every reason to think he quickly can learn the schematic details of the Packers passing game that he didnt pick up in his previous duties.

The harder part will be learning and then imparting the nuances of the position, which came naturally for Robinson, who played receiver in the NFL for six seasons and coached receivers for all 26 years hes been a college or pro assistant.

Its similar to what McCarthy went through as a young assistant after playing tight end in college but then eventually becoming a quarterbacks coach in the NFL. The main difference is, McCarthy began working with quarterbacks as a volunteer and then graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh, and then was a quality control assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs for two seasons before becoming their quarterbacks coach in 1995.

Bennett is making the position change at the NFL level. McCarthy, though, said he likes to promote from within when possible, that he thinks the change will invigorate his coaches and players, and that Bennett will get ample support from himself and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.

We (coaches) spend a lot of time together, we dont just throw the plan in and everybody goes to their (meeting) room, McCarthy said. Theres a lot of group interaction. But on the other side of it, Edgars a very passionate guy, hard working. Trust me, this will be a positive. Jimmy is an outstanding coach, did an excellent job with that group, but change is healthy for everybody. Its a great opportunity Jimmy has in Dallas, and I think a fresh face in the receiver room Edgar brings a lot of credibility. I think it will be very positive.

One of Bennetts strengths as running backs coach was teaching ball security, and in his interview with McCarthy he stressed that hed make that his greatest point of emphasis for the receivers. The Packers receivers didnt have major problems with fumbles, but Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and James Jones had three each, and Donald Driver one.

Edgars first goal is to make them handle the football better, McCarthy said. Thats something he feels he does a very good job of as a coach, whether hes coaching tight ends, running backs, receivers, thats not going to change. Thats one of the things he had five things in his interview he wanted to accomplish with the group, hed already broken it down.

Bennett also will get help coaching the receivers from Rushing, who as a quality control coach the last two seasons assisted Robinson. Rushing also will have expanded duties on special teams, and his promotion means he wont have to do the computer data entry thats a huge part of a quality-control assistants duties. That now will become Hilgenbergs responsibility, along with assisting offensive line coach James Campen.

Frankly, I thought wed have more movement on our staff, McCarthy said. Weve been trying to develop younger coaches. Jerry Fontenot is one of those younger coaches. John Rushing is one of those younger coaches. It was an opportunity to move these guys up. Im really excited the way this worked out. A lot of time, a lot of thought, a lot of planning went into this. I know our players will be excited to see these guys promoted. Were going to be a better offense next year, thats our focus.

As offensive line assistant, Fontenot worked closely with Campen and Bennett on the running game, which will help prepare him for coaching running back. Though like Bennett at receivers coach, there are some details of coaching running backs hell have to learn.

Its a very good coaching staff, McCarthy said. Weve been together going on six years. We want to get better, and were always looking for ways to get better. Ive had a chance to sit down at length with Joe Philbin, and we felt with this new structure that we can get involved in certain areas and hopefully we can improve.

GBPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
I don't question Edgar Bennett to WR that much. I've heard Bennett is a very good coach and made sure the RBs knew everything that was going on with all the blocking calls. And Bennett wants to go to a new position because he wants to get more rounded and maybe one day be an offensive coordinator.

And if he has any questions he can always ask MM, Driver or Jennings.... I've seen video of Driver coaching up gunners and the guys that block gunners on STs... if they trust Driver to coach up that they probably trust him to help coach up the WRs too... or go to him if they have any questions.

The move that confuses me more is OL Jerry Fontenot to RB/FB. Because the RB do a lot of things the OL doesn't. But on the other hand the blocking from the backs should get better, and they haven't had trouble hanging onto the ball. But I'm not sure if he's taught reading blocks, running routes or catching the ball, or breaking tackles...

But I guess he can still talk to Bennett.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

RB--> RB coach--> WR coach(?)

maybe he knows a bit from his time as director of player development?

"wils0646" wrote:

Agreed, but is this a good thing for him or a demotion. He's always been a RB (college/pros) and I would think that if he did a good job and we won the SB, why the change? I am just not understanding the reasoning.

"packer98" wrote:

It's anything but a demotion. This should get him a little better understanding of the whole offense, propelling him to become an OC or head coach some day.

Mike McCarthy said he's a hell of a coach, so he should do well in any offensive spot.

"RajiRoar" wrote:

Agreed. I think this is more about growing Edgar as a coach than anything else.. to me it shows that they are trying to expand his horizons. That said, I think they have the confidence that Edgar can be effective in that position as well.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
13 years ago
I met Rushing when I was in Pittsburgh in '09 for that game. We were all seated at the bar of a restaurant having dinner. Very nice guy. He just had that "student of the game" vibe when you chatted with him. He was willing to talk about the team but clearly toed the company line when he had to (I asked him how he felt about Thompson's team building strategy, since I'm a Ted Thompson supporter but he had been getting quite a bit of criticism, and he basically said, "He's our leader so I don't question it at all."). I'm very glad to see him promoted!
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

He was obviously their best option at the WR coach position. A good coach isa good coach, that much I know. He obviously knows plenty about the WR position. Just because he played RB doesn't mean he doesn't know how to coach WRs. Coaching RB is not the same as playing RB. Coaching WR is not the same as playing WR. Same thing with Fontenot. He played C for like 16 years in the NFL. And he's been with the Packers for a number of years working with the O line. Doesn't mean he can't be a RB coach and succeed at it.

That being said, these moves surprised me quite a bit. But I suppose I can give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt... lol. My guess is that he wanted to stay in house because he likes the group of guys he has on staff.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

This.
Mike McCarthy joked that he was a TE in college so wtf is he doing teaching QBs when a reporter asked why is Bennett, a former RB, now coaching WRs.

Bennett is a good coach, period. I bet our drops decrease in 2011.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
A good coach can coach any position.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (2h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (9h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (10h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.