Kingkoopa
13 years ago

The Green Bay Packers have named Edgar Bennett wide receivers coach, Jerry Fontenot running backs coach, Joel Hilgenberg offensive quality control coach, and John Rushing assistant wide receivers/special teams coach.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy made the announcement Friday.

Bennett will be entering his seventh season on Green Bays coaching staff, having tutored the teams running backs from 2005-10. He oversaw the development of Ryan Grant, who became just the third running back in team history to eclipse the 1,200-yard mark in back-to-back seasons (2008-09). Prior to that, Bennett spent four seasons (2001-04) as the Packers director of player development. A fourth-round selection of Green Bay in 1992 out of Florida State, Bennett ranks No. 10 in team history with 3,353 rushing yards over five seasons (1992-96) and continues to hold the franchises single-season record for receptions by a running back with 78, set in 1994.

Fontenot will be entering his sixth season on the Packers coaching staff in 2011. He began his tenure in Green Bay as a coaching intern in the summer of 2006 and remained with the team throughout that season to assist with the offensive line. In 2007, Fontenot was promoted to assistant offensive line coach, a position he held the past four seasons (2007-10) as he aided in the development of several young linemen. A longtime center, Fontenot played in 239 games with Chicago, New Orleans and Cincinnati during his 16-year NFL career (1989-2004). He was a third-round draft choice by the Bears in 89 out of Texas A&M, where he earned all-conference honors three times.

Hilgenberg worked as a coaching intern for the Packers during training camp, mini-camp and a portion of OTAs in 2010, assisting offensive line coach James Campen and Fontenot. He played in 142 games as a center/guard during his 10-year NFL career (1984-93) with the New Orleans Saints. Hilgenberg earned Pro Bowl recognition in 1992 and was inducted into the Saints Hall of Fame in 2006. A fourth-round selection by the Saints in 1984, he was a two-time All-Big Ten selection at the University of Iowa and earned second-team All-America honors in 1983.

Rushing spent the past two seasons as Green Bays offensive quality control coach, his first foray into the NFL after 13 years in the college coaching ranks. He worked with the Packers during training camp in 2008 through the NFLs Minority Coaching Internship Program before being named to the quality control position in February 2009. Rushing came to Green Bay from Utah State, where he spent six seasons (2003-08) coaching defensive backs. He coached the secondary at Montana State (2000-02) and Willamette University (1996-97) and also served as a graduate assistant coach for the secondary at Boise State for two seasons (1998-99). As a player, Rushing started all four years at defensive back for Washington State (1991-94).

Source:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-announce-offensive-coaching-staff-changes/a00da760-57ce-4962-aef1-cd5a88a9ad1d 
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I bet the WR keep hold of the ball better this year than last.
UserPostedImage
packer98
13 years ago
I am not understanding these move. Why is EB moving from the RB's coach to WR's if he did such a good job? Anyone with incite on these moves and why?
blank
RajiRoar
13 years ago
RB--> RB coach--> WR coach(?)

maybe he knows a bit from his time as director of player development?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
packer98
13 years ago

"RajiRoar" wrote:

Agreed, but is this a good thing for him or a demotion. He's always been a RB (college/pros) and I would think that if he did a good job and we won the SB, why the change? I am just not understanding the reasoning.
blank
millertime
13 years ago
Our WRs receivers typically get more attempts than our RBs. At least now they'll probably have more emphasis on ball security (fumbles).

Our RBs barely fumbled at all over the last couple years. It's been our receivers.

It's still kind of odd to change positions as a coach. But hey, the Eagles just made their offensive line coach their defensive coordinator.
wils0646
13 years ago

"packer98" wrote:

Agreed, but is this a good thing for him or a demotion. He's always been a RB (college/pros) and I would think that if he did a good job and we won the SB, why the change? I am just not understanding the reasoning.

"RajiRoar" wrote:

It's anything but a demotion. This should get him a little better understanding of the whole offense, propelling him to become an OC or head coach some day.
Mike McCarthy said he's a hell of a coach, so he should do well in any offensive spot.
The Pack Will Be Back.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
He was obviously their best option at the WR coach position. A good coach isa good coach, that much I know. He obviously knows plenty about the WR position. Just because he played RB doesn't mean he doesn't know how to coach WRs. Coaching RB is not the same as playing RB. Coaching WR is not the same as playing WR. Same thing with Fontenot. He played C for like 16 years in the NFL. And he's been with the Packers for a number of years working with the O line. Doesn't mean he can't be a RB coach and succeed at it.

That being said, these moves surprised me quite a bit. But I suppose I can give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt... lol. My guess is that he wanted to stay in house because he likes the group of guys he has on staff.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
I do like how we raise our own coaches and promote from within.

I am a bit interested by the Edgar Bennett idea. Maybe the person who mentioned Driver as a WR coach of the future wasn't too far off. However, with Bennett having been on the coaching side of the game for about a decade now and been in McCarthy's offense for 5 years I think he probably has a good grasp of all the positions. Add that to the fact that WR and RB are positions with similar skill sets and I think you can follow the thought process. I am eager to hear what Bennett has to say though.

I also think that these are just titles for the coaches and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to exclusively work with that position. I imagine Bennett will still get some time with the RB's. Does anyone know what Philbin coached before he became offensive coordinator? Maybe he might spend time with the receivers?
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Well, considering how infrequently our running backs fumble, maybe this was a good idea indeed.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (15h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.