nerdmann
13 years ago
A year or two under Mike McCarthy and this dude would be rehabilitated. We'd trade him for a first, maybe a 2nd, just due to his age.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/matt-leinart-wants-another-opportunity 

Matt Leinart wants another opportunity

Matt Leinart, the 2004 Heisman winner and the 10th pick in the 2006 draft, will be a free agent whenever the lockout ends. And hes hoping to find a chance to get his career back on track.

Or, as the case may be, to get it on track for the first time.

I am not going to give up, Leinart recently said, according to The Daily Trojan, via NFL.com. I am not going to say it has been unfair, but I am just hoping for the opportunity to come.

But opportunities only come for NFL quarterbacks when injuries strike and warm bodies are needed. Otherwise, quarterbacks need to make their opportunities.

So far, Leinart hasnt.

My career has been like a roller coaster, Leinart said. You never know what is going to happen next.

Roller coasters entail ups and downs. Leinart has had very few high points since being drafted.

And though it didnt help that the coach who drafted him was fired after only one season, Leinart simply wasnt able to hold off Kurt Warner in Arizona. Then, after Warner retired, Leinart couldnt beat out Derek Anderson. Leinart spent 2010 at the bottom of the Texans depth chart.

As Rams G.M. Billy Devaney told PFT Live on Tuesday and as The Brady 6 documentary makes clear, its impossible to know whether a guy can perform at the NFL level until its time to perform at the NFL level. Some guys believe getting drafted in round one represents the pinnacle of their careers, and theyre not willing to put in the extra work and effort and sweat necessary to become star players. Other guys, fueled possibly by sliding into round six, develop an unrelenting determination to become the best.

With Leinart, the fact that he has struggled isnt a surprise. When he decided to remain at USC after winning the Heisman and the national championship, scouts began to wonder whether he truly had the desire to compete at the highest level, or whether he simply wanted to be a celebrity. Through five NFL season, he has lacked the desire or the ability or both to compete in the NFL.

Though plenty of teams need quarterbacks, we simply dont see an opportunity coming for Leinart. And we definitely dont see him making an opportunity for himself.

But, hey, he can always try to prove us wrong. Tom Brady sure would.

"PFT" wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
13 years ago
I think you're forgetting that Ted Thompson, not Mike Sherman is the Packers' GM now. ( Thank God.)

This won't happen in a million years, and no matter what becomes of Leinart, it is extremely unlikely that he'll ever be traded for a first or second round pick. He's not a very good QB.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Leinart is not a "football" player in my opinion. Yes, he's in the NFL, but I'm speaking like A.J. Hawk. Maybe this sums it up better, I think football is something Leinart does, not who he is. That's the opposite of what Ted and the Packers aim for.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
"...but I am just hoping for the opportunity to come.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dhazer
13 years ago
Why would you trade a 1st or 2nd for a guy that was cut from the team? Also why trade for a guy as a backup that came in the league 1 year later than Rodgers. I just don't see any logic at all in this. I thought he was over rated and over hyped coming out of college. Remember he was on basically an NFL team at USC with all the recruiting violations. He never was a great qb and I don't think he ever will be.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Why would you trade a 1st or 2nd for a guy that was cut from the team? Also why trade for a guy as a backup that came in the league 1 year later than Rodgers. I just don't see any logic at all in this. I thought he was over rated and over hyped coming out of college. Remember he was on basically an NFL team at USC with all the recruiting violations. He never was a great qb and I don't think he ever will be.

"dhazer" wrote:

I believe the Packers would TRADE Leinart FOR a 1st or 2nd is what he's saying. Not trade FOR Leinart, rather pick him up, groom up, train him up and ship him off to get something in return.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Yeah, he's a FA (he will be, rather).
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago
The whole idea about flipping a QB doesn't really seem to work. You could argue that it has happened in the past: Shaub, Cassel, Hasselbeck, etc; but it seems like teams rarely get a good return on their investment.

Look at the Eagles. They traded a future 1st round pick to Dallas for the second round pick they used on Kevin Kolb. Now they are looking to shop Kolb 4 years later for a 1st or 2nd round pick. They really didn't gain any et value besides having a decent back up for the past couple seasons.

Besides, the only way Leinart would play was if A-Rod went down. Let's pray that doesn't happen.
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

Besides, the only way Leinart would play was if A-Rod went down. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

"millertime" wrote:

I'd rather be ready in the event that it happens than just pray that it doesn't.

That said, Leinart is not the answer.
This is a placeholder
Yerko
13 years ago
Ewwww.

That is all.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (42m) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (43m) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (43m) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (58m) : 4th
Zero2Cool (1h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (3h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (8h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (8h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.