RajiRoar
13 years ago
<--- worlds smallest link?

Under General Manager Ted Thompson, the draft has been the lifeblood of the Green Bay Packers.

Hes had his hits and misses, just like any other GM, but Thompson has stuck to his philosophy of building and reinforcing the core of the roster through the draft, and that will never change.

Through his first six drafts for Green Bay (2005-10), Thompson selected 58 players. How important were those drafts in building a champion? Of the 53 players on the Super Bowl XLV roster, 27 or just over half were drafted by Thompson. A total of 33 Thompson draft picks played for the Packers at some point in 2010.

Selecting which of those draft picks were his best requires consideration of multiple factors, including the players contributions to the team over his career and the value of the pick based on the round in which he was taken. Because the ultimate goal of every GM is to build a Super Bowl winner, a players role on that championship team factors in as well. The order in which these selections are ranked could change as soon as another season is played, of course.

All that said, heres one interpretation of Thompsons 10 best draft picks at this point in time, ranked in ascending order.

10. B.J. Raji, first round, 2009
When the Packers were on the clock with the ninth overall pick in 09, the Raiders surprising selection of receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey two slots earlier left Green Bay with two prime-time talents from which to choose Raji and receiver Michael Crabtree.

With the Packers making the transition to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Dom Capers, Thompson made the prudent call. The massive Raji is the prototypical nose tackle in a 3-4, and even though he played more end than nose as he battled nagging injuries as a rookie, he emerged in 2010 as the middle anchor that was envisioned.

Defensive line coach Mike Trgovac believes Raji was deserving of a Pro-Bowl bid last season, but he acknowledged that sometimes it takes a while for guys in the trenches to get their due. In any case, Raji looks like a fixture up front in Capers 3-4 for a long time to come.

9. Bryan Bulaga, first round, 2010
Projected to go much higher than 23rd overall, Bulaga was available to the Packers last year and Thompson didnt hesitate to snatch up the heir apparent to veteran left tackle Chad Clifton.

What puts Bulaga on this list despite just one year in the NFL is that he also was ready to step in at right tackle when Mark Tauscher was lost for the season to a shoulder injury, and he started the final 12 games of the regular season and the entire postseason on a championship team.

Injuries and lineup shuffling derailed any continuity on the offensive line through the first half of 2009, but the selection of Bulaga averted that when a key injury cropped up early in 2010. His performance in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh pass-rusher LaMarr Woodley was commendable as well.

8. Desmond Bishop, sixth round, 2007
In the middle of the sixth round four years ago, the Packers were able to mine a good chunk of what remained on their draft board with three consecutive picks (191-193 overall). Thompson chose fullback Korey Hall, Bishop and kicker Mason Crosby, and while all have contributed annually since their rookie seasons, Bishop would seem to be the best pick of the bunch.

Thought by some scouts to be too slow to play linebacker in the NFL, Bishop quickly became a special-teams standout, leading the team in coverage tackles over the three-year span from 2007-09.

Last year, pressed into full-time duty on defense due to injuries to Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar, Bishop seized his chance. He proved his impressive stats in two college seasons at Cal were no fluke, finishing second on the team in total tackles (121) to go along with three sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown. He earned a new contract by seasons end and then added a key fumble recovery in the Super Bowl.

He waited a long time to get drafted and even longer to get to play, but thats the only way the words too slow apply to Bishops game now.

7. A.J. Hawk, first round, 2006
No, Hawk has not been the perennial Pro-Bowler and game-changer fans hoped for as the fifth overall pick in 06, but his play has been solid and has left the Packers with no regrets. Hawk hasnt missed a contest in his career, a total of 87 games including postseason.

This past year, after taking over the defensive signal-calling, teammates and coaches raved about his command in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. After leading the team in tackles in 2010 and intercepting three passes, hes turned out in some ways to be a better fit as a 3-4 inside linebacker than a 4-3 outside linebacker, which is what he played his first three seasons.

For those who still demand more out of such a high pick, look at the next five players drafted in 06 after Hawk tight end Vernon Davis, safeties Michael Huff and Donte Whitner, linebacker Ernie Sims and quarterback Matt Leinart. Only Davis has had a career on par with Hawks, and he didnt become the team-first player Hawks been until recently. Thompson reaffirmed his selection of Hawk by giving him a new contract last month.

6. Josh Sitton, fourth round, 2008
Known as a road-grader with a mean streak, Sitton was on track to start on the offensive line as a rookie until he hurt his knee. That only delayed his taking over full time at right guard until 09, and Sitton has started every game the last two years.

Named a Pro-Bowl alternate this past season, Sitton appears headed for honors like that on an annual basis. He was named the NFL Alumnis offensive lineman of the year in 2010.

Based on early returns, Sitton would grade out admirably as a first or second-round pick. For a fourth-rounder, hes a gem. He was the 22nd offensive lineman taken in 08 and the seventh guard, but the Packers couldnt have done much better.

5. Jermichael Finley, third round, 2008
Having played just two seasons at Texas and turning 21 only a month before the draft, Finley was considered by some a reach in the third round at 91st overall. Now he appears to have been a steal.

A dynamic, athletic tight end that changes the way teams defend Green Bays offense, Finley broke out in the second half of his second season and was off to a monster start last year before a knee injury in week five halted things.

Assuming he fully recovers, Finley will continue to be a playmaker as well as a security blanket for quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who concedes that the 6-5, 247-pound target is always open, even when hes not open.

Thompson chose Finley where he did by projecting what the youngster could become. It looks like his ceiling isnt yet in sight.

4. Clay Matthews, first round, 2009
The Packers had Matthews rated as a top-15 talent and, when he was still on the board in the early 20s, Thompson made a stunning but shrewd move.

By trading back into the first round to snag Matthews with the 26th pick, Thompson drafted two vital pieces to the new 3-4 defense a nose tackle in Raji and outside pass-rusher in Matthews just hours apart and gave Capers a treasure trove of young talent as a foundation.

All Matthews has done is make the Pro Bowl and lead the team in sacks in each of his first two seasons. He and veteran cornerback Charles Woodson were the two defenders opposing offenses paid the most attention to in 2010, and its a given every offensive game plan against the Packers in 2011 will account for Matthews on page one.

Considering hes only played two seasons, theres room for Matthews to move up this list in the years to come, though that wont be easy, considering the competition.

3. Nick Collins, second round, 2005
Coming from a strange-sounding school but with a plain-sounding name, Bethune-Cookmans Collins had many fans asking, Who? and Where? But Thompson maximized on the trade involving disgruntled cornerback Mike McKenzie by getting Collins at 51st overall, and he hinted to the fans the player Collins would become by giving him LeRoy Butlers old jersey number, 36.

Collins has been a starter since his first game as a rookie, and he has evolved from a steady traffic cop for the defense into one of the top playmakers in the league at his position. Collins intercepted just four passes in his first three seasons but has intercepted 17 over the last three in making the Pro Bowl each year.

His interception return for a touchdown in the Super Bowl will go down as one of the most memorable plays in team history and, by all indications, Collins is far from making his final impression.

2. Greg Jennings, second round, 2006
The one question surrounding Jennings when he was selected 52nd overall in 06 was whether his record-breaking, stat-crazy career at Western Michigan had him truly ready for NFL coverages.

As soon as Jennings took the field in his first mini-camp in Green Bay, though, he was wowing onlookers with his polished routes and graceful body control, and the wonder was whether NFL coverages were ready for him.

Jennings came up just 80 yards shy of 1,000 in 2007 or hed have four straight 1,000-yard campaigns now. Hes also had two seasons with 12 touchdown catches and another with nine. Hes a constant big-play threat who has averaged an eye-popping 31.5 yards per TD catch in his career, and hes clutch at crunch time with three 100-yard games and five TDs in seven postseason contests.

When Finley went down last season, defenses turned even more attention to Jennings, but they couldnt slow him down. He averaged six catches for 109 yards per game over the first seven contests Finley missed, production that kept the offense rolling when it had to adjust on the fly.

1. Aaron Rodgers, first round, 2005
Thompsons first draft as Packers GM demonstrated how it always pays to be thorough in ones preparation.

Rodgers was the potential number one overall pick, and if he didnt go first, he was sure to be the second quarterback taken. No one realistically projected hed be available to the Packers at 24, but Thompson and Co. had done their homework and were ready.

The rest, as they say, is history. Rodgers apprenticed for three years under Brett Favre, took the reins in a tumultuous summer of 2008, and led the Packers to their fourth Super Bowl title in his third season as the starter.

NFL franchises are built around quarterbacks and Thompson had a franchise quarterback in place when he arrived. It didnt stop him from finding Green Bays next one right away, however, which makes his first pick his best.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Stevetarded
13 years ago
I guess you are pretty good when someone says BJ Raji is your 10th best pick.
blank
millertime
13 years ago
Not to mention the great undrafted players he has brought in like Tramon Williams and Sam Shields.

I love Ted!
beast
13 years ago
I have to say I think Raji and Matthews are both higher than that. And Finley might be lower than that....

Matthews might be a two 2 guy with Rodgers, in a team with Jenkins, Raji, Woodson, Collins, Williams and others... offense seem to focus on Matthews (and sometimes Woodson).

Raji play seems to mainly gone unnoticed as he's a NT and others are more flashy in the nickel package but he played great. The team had a lot of guys in the front 7 get injured like Matthews, Jenkins, Pickett, Barnett, Jones and others... and looked like it would fall apart at some points... but the glue held it together... and Raji and Hawk were the glue and Raji played great even when he was the focus on running plays. He still made an impact. I think Raji is in the top 3 to 6 with Jennings, Collins and Sitton...

Finley has a ton of talent and a ton of potential, I think we all know that. But he has 82 catches for 1,051 yards in 3 years. It's kind of hard for me to put him ahead of Raji and Sitton...
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
13 years ago
Mine would be

1. Rodgers
2. Sitton
3. Matthews
4. Jennings
5. Collins
6. Raji
7. Finley
8. Bishop
9. Hawk
10. Bulaga

Based mostly on how the players rate compared to their peers. IMO all of the top 5 are top 3 or top 5 in the league at their position.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
Gotta love that tiny link. It worked, though.

I like the list. It is notable that five of Ted's six first round picks are on the list--a percentage that Ron Wolf must envy. Initially I was surprised to see Desmond Bishop on there, but considering that he was a sixth round pick, it makes sense. Although Finley missed out on the Super Bowl, to be the caliber of player he is as a third round pick is remarkable, so I understand that one too.

My one big change to the list: I would switch Raji and Hawk. Raji was not quite as much of an obvious pick as Hawk, and he was taken four spaces later, but he is more of an impact player. So I would put Raji at #7 and Hawk at #10.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (21m) : damn those vikings
beast (43m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (49m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (50m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (51m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (52m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.