wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Packers by position: Defensive backs by Rob Demovsky

Once again this April, the Press-Gazette will provide a pre-draft breakdown of the Packers roster at each position by beat writer Rob Demovsky. This will lead up to the start of Pete Doughertys annual position-by-position draft series on April 21.

Defensive backs

What they have

Cornerbacks
: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Brandon Underwood, Pat Lee, Josh Gordy, Josh Bell.

Safeties
: Nick Collins, Charlie Peprah, Morgan Burnett, Atari Bigby*, Anthony Smith, Anthony Levine, Michael Greco

Cornerback/safety
: Jarrett Bush

* Could be an unrestricted free agent depending on new CBA rules

Position analysis

The Packers basically hit the lottery without buying a ticket when they signed Sam Shields as an undrafted free agent. All signs point to him being a starter whenever Charles Woodson calls it quits, although theres no reason to think thatll happen any time soon. With Woodson, Williams and Shields, the Packers have their nickel corners set. However, as easily as corners can go down, they still need to upgrade the quality of their depth. Underwood still has potential but needs to show it. This summer could be his last chance. Lee played decent in relief in the Super Bowl but remains largely unproven. Collins had another Pro Bowl season and Peprah was serviceable as a fill-in starter after Burnett blew out his knee in Week 4. Theres some thought to playing Woodson more at safety like he did in the Atlanta playoff game, but that wouldnt be a full-time position change. Bigby wasnt tendered as a restricted free agent, so he probably wont be back no matter what the free-agency rules will be under a new CBA. Levine is a promising prospect. He was on the practice squad all of last season after a solid first training camp.

The future

With as much nickel as defensive coordinator Dom Capers plays, theres always a need for good cover corners. Woodson, who broke his collarbone in the Super Bowl, is expected to make a full recovery, but hes 34 years old and showed some signs of slight decline. So drafting a cornerback high isnt out of the question, but it probably wont be in the early rounds.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
Packers draft needs by position: Secondary By Tom Silverstein  

This is the eighth in a position-by-position series evaluating the Green Bay Packers needs entering the 2011 draft.

SECONDARY

Need level: Low

On the roster: CB Tramon Williams, CB Charles Woodson, S Nick Collins, S Morgan Burnett, CB Sam Shields, S Charlie Peprah, CB/S Jarrett Bush, CB Pat Lee, CB Brandon Underwood, CB Josh Gordy, S Anthony Smith, S Michael Greco, S Anthony Levine, and CB Josh Bell.

Free agents
: S Atari Bigby.

Outlook:
The emergence of Shields as a starting-caliber player changed everything for this unit. Woodson is starting to show age on the outside and needs to be in the slot where he can be used more like a safety. Shields has allowed that and also guarantees the team has two young corners in place for at least three more seasons. Behind Shields, Lee and Underwood havent grown the way the coaches hoped and could be replaced if a corner is drafted. Lee is a little ahead of Underwood because of experience, but if Underwood could get his act together he could work his way into the dime. Gordy is an interesting prospect because of his speed and could get a look, too. The coaches were extremely high on Burnett before he tore his ACL and will give him every chance to win the starting spot over the reliable Peprah. Burnett has outstanding ball skills, but you never know how an ACL will affect a players ability. Whatever the case, they're stocked at the position with Peprah, Smith, Bush and others. Theres almost no chance Bigby will be back.

Eye-opening stat:
The secondary committed 18 coverage penalties in 20 games, an average of just under one per game.

Whats available:
There are a lot of guys with glaring warts that make taking a cornerback in this draft a risk. The top two corners, LSUs Patrick Peterson and Nebraskas Prince Amukamara, will be gone early and the next most talented, Colorados Jimmy Smith, might be off GM Ted Thompsons board for character issues. In the second, Buffalos Josh Thomas would fit the height/speed requirements the Packers have and converted running back Curtis Marsh of Utah St., who doubles as a kick returner, might be an option at the end of the fourth. Later, South Carolina speedster Chris Culliver could be considered both for his Shields-like potential and return ability.

Bottom line:
This might not be the time or place to address the eventual replacement for Woodson. Theres always reason to add cornerbacks and Thompson could do that late, but theres no sense taking any gambles or over-drafting because of need. The safety position probably won't be addressed.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
I thought they released Bell and Smith. Burnett is gonna be all world. He was on the way to ROY when he busted out his knee.
And for the record, I don't care about "kick returners." I want a PUNT returner.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Bell went on IR before the season started.

I thought he might have been above Shields on the depth chart until he got hurt.

I don't recall what happened to Smith.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
As per Packer site both are on the roster.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

I thought they released Bell and Smith. Burnett is gonna be all world. He was on the way to ROY when he busted out his knee.
And for the record, I don't care about "kick returners." I want a PUNT returner.

"nerdmann" wrote:

They released Bell, Martin and Donald Lee. I think (not 100% on this) Bigby, Smith and Peprah were all in contract years last year. They resigned Peprah for 2 year, 2.3 million dollar deal (I thought he would of gotten more). While they let Bigby and Smith contracts ran out, so they're FAs.

Burnett's coverage was AMAZING!!! ... needs to work on the run defense though, he took too big of an angle making it way too easy to cut but and slip by him. Collins did it some as well but less so... and when you're the FS you get away with it a bit more since you're normally further away. Pepreh was very good at taking good angles and attacking the run defense.

I wouldn't be surprised with a high pick at DB this year.

Also as far as replacing Woodson, Shields might be able to do it in the base defense 3-4 defense. And in the past Capers has used a Safety for the nickel role that Woodson normally plays.

Not saying they're thinking about it in Green Bay, but Shields and Williams as CBs. Peprah as the SS, Burnett as the FS and Collins in Woodson's CB/S/OLB role might work.

Collins in that role because I think he's more physical and aggressive than Burnett. And I think Peprah best fit is SS.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (40m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (2h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (5h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (5h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (18h) : damn those vikings
beast (18h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (18h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (18h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (18h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.