CaliforniaCheez
13 years ago
The Union does not want a CBA. They want no league, just 32 teams.

No more national television contracts. No more teams sharing revenue.
No more league wide rules over off season workouts, length of training camps, no more league rules on drug testing or discipline for being arrested. No limit to the number of players each team has, no injured reserve, no practice squad. It would all be up to individual teams.

No restricting when a player can enter the NFL, no salary cap, no waiting to be a free agent, no pensions, no health benefits, no injury settlements, no minimum wage, no benefits except as stated in the individual players contract.

It might even violate anti-trust law to set onfield rules for game. So for some games say a horse collar tackle would be illegal, in other games it might not.

Think of 1920's absence of rules and oversight.

It could really wreck college football.

Fortunately for the Packers, they are in the upper half of revenues and if teams are paid individually based on the television ratings they generate the Packers will be fine because they are nationally a popular team. They can hold on for awhile.

The lowest revenue teams like the Raiders and vikings will be hurting. Teams without national following like the Bengals, Lions, Jaguars, and Bills will lose financially rather rapidly and become farm teams for the rest of the league. Think NBA and MLB. Huge salaries for some, lower for most. Declining future revenues.

A CBA and an anti-trust exemption were very valuable things the NFL had.
Competition made the NFL fun to watch as teams improved or declined every year. Now there will be the haves and the have nots.
The George Steinbrenners and the unknowns.
blank
StoicFire
13 years ago
I think this is all a bit dramatic. At this point no one should be up in arms about this one.

Right now there is no lockout, and this will continue unless the judges decision is stayed, which will likely be decided tomorrow. Ideally the decision will not be stayed.

This puts more pressure on the league. The fact that there is very little interest in the draft this year will probably serve as a strong reminder of how much money the league will lose if there is a lockout.

I would like to see the league cave in to players demands for more money before the appeal goes to court. At this point the owners should be scared, and willing to give up more money to the players in order to keep making money themselves. When the players are offered more money, they will accept a deal.

When they accept a deal, the league can set up rules. The league will ensure that there is draft, a salary cap, and all that stuff that we love about football. I am fairly certain that there won't be chaos.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think rules have to be set up prior to any deal being accepted. I am not sure on this.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
This lockout stuff frightens and confuses me. I'm just an unfrozen caveman Packers fan that wants to watch football.
wamj2008
13 years ago
I know I should be excited about the injunction against the lockout, but it's just the government getting involved in the affairs of a private entity. The owners assume 100% of the financial risk. This is what the NFLPA wanted. This is why they did not negotiate in good faith, and stalled and stalled until they could decertify. So I guess a union is just a union when it's convenient. Solidarity, brah.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I know I should be excited about the injunction against the lockout, but it's just the government getting involved in the affairs of a private entity. The owners assume 100% of the financial risk. This is what the NFLPA wanted. This is why they did not negotiate in good faith, and stalled and stalled until they could decertify. So I guess a union is just a union when it's convenient. Solidarity, brah.

"wamj2008" wrote:

Agreed.

The last time I was excited about the law was Courtney Thorne-Smith.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
13 years ago

"wamj2008" wrote:

Exactly what is the financial risk of having a NFL team? Of course we will never know because they won't open their books. The NFL is the golden goose and the greedy owners are going to kill if they screw around too long.
UserPostedImage
TOPackerFan
13 years ago

Exactly what is the financial risk of having a NFL team?

"DakotaT" wrote:

You mean other than paying the billion dollars or so it would take to buy one these days? Keep in mind also that when most of the owners came on board, an NFL franchise wasn't the "sure thing" it seems to be today (though query how much of a sure thing it is to make a $10 millon or so profit on a $1 billion investment).
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
DakotaT
13 years ago

Exactly what is the financial risk of having a NFL team?

"TOPackerFan" wrote:

You mean other than paying the billion dollars or so it would take to buy one these days? Keep in mind also that when most of the owners came on board, an NFL franchise wasn't the "sure thing" it seems to be today (though query how much of a sure thing it is to make a $10 millon or so profit on a $1 billion investment).

"DakotaT" wrote:

These rich men are in it totally for the prestige, and if they possibly could lose money it would be a write off against their real businesses. Please try again in making me feel sorry for the owners.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Amazing. I agree with the Dakota guy.

Now *that* tells you how effed up the NFL owners are. Only bigger evidence would be if vikesrule were found to agree with us as well.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (15h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (15h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (15h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (16h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (19h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (23h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (23h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.