zombieslayer
13 years ago

I know the formula you used to come to that conclusion.

The 96 Packer team scored more points (35) in the 96 Superbowl than the Vikings did in four combined Superbowl appearances in 1970,74,75, and 77. (34 total points)

Last years Packer team scored 3 points fewer than the Vikings combined point total in 4 Viking Superbowl appearances.

That is a good formula. Heretofore, I agree with you.

Thank you my friend.

R.P.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

LOL. That gotta hurt, VR.

I will say the '96 Packers team has a slight edge as they had the #1 D. Surprised they had the #1 O considering the injuries to their WRs and a less than average (yes, it was less than average) OL.

Desmond Howard was the magical piece missing from '97. Losing him (and Sean Jones retiring) really hurt.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

Personally, I like to use my eyes and brains to analyze QBs. You can find a statistic to backup on any valid argument.

The knock on Favre throughout his career is his lack of consistency. That showed up after Mike Holmgren left. Hell, it even showed up during the early stages of the Holmgren era. Unlike Favre, Rodgers' best quality is arguably his consistency.

The point I am making here is that mid 90s Favre gets the nod over Rodgers and any QB I think that has ever played the game. To take away from the 1990s Brett Favre is to take away from the legacy of the Packers. He was amazing. However, Rodgers does have an opportunity to have a more consistent career.

Consistency = better career.

"porky88" wrote:

I would change it to Favre is the moste talented QB ever. But he lacked the discipline and focus to take advantage of that talent. Which is why he was a streaky player. Favre was not the go to player in his super bowl win. Reggie and Desmond were.

If Favre had Montana's work ethic, dedication and focus, he would easily be the best.

Starr was a go to guy. Rodgers is a go to guy. Favre was contained so he wouldn't screw it up.

Favre isn't equal to Rodgers in his abiliy to close the deal.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'm with Dexter. Favre is hands down the most talented QB in my lifetime. His problem is he's an alcoholic and alcoholics need someone else to run their lives because they can't do it themselves.

It showed on the field. Had someone had the will to control Favre, we'd have 4 SB wins in his 19 year career before he retired and passed the buck to Rodgers.

Before anyone thinks I'm using this as an excuse for Favre, I don't like alcoholics nor co-dependents in real life.

Although unlike NSD, I'd give Favre credit for throwing a real good game. 2 long TD passes, one high adrenaline TD run, and a lot of passes thrown completely away (as they should have been). Those incompletions were a good thing.

Like I said earlier, Howard was the missing piece in '97. And of course, 3 sacks from Reggie White can't be overstated.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Although unlike NSD, I'd give Favre credit for throwing a real good game.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yes, he did -- all in the first half. He did absolutely nothing in the second half. Holmgren kept him firmly under muzzle. He knew as well as anyone that Favre might get too excited and throw away the game at just the wrong moment.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

I'm with Dexter. Favre is hands down the most talented QB in my lifetime. His problem is he's an alcoholic and alcoholics need someone else to run their lives because they can't do it themselves.

It showed on the field. Had someone had the will to control Favre, we'd have 4 SB wins in his 19 year career before he retired and passed the buck to Rodgers.

Before anyone thinks I'm using this as an excuse for Favre, I don't like alcoholics nor co-dependents in real life.

Although unlike NSD, I'd give Favre credit for throwing a real good game. 2 long TD passes, one high adrenaline TD run, and a lot of passes thrown completely away (as they should have been). Those incompletions were a good thing.

Like I said earlier, Howard was the missing piece in '97. And of course, 3 sacks from Reggie White can't be overstated.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Jeff George was the "most talented." LOL.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
13 years ago

Personally, I like to use my eyes and brains to analyze QBs. You can find a statistic to backup on any valid argument.

The knock on Favre throughout his career is his lack of consistency. That showed up after Mike Holmgren left. Hell, it even showed up during the early stages of the Holmgren era. Unlike Favre, Rodgers' best quality is arguably his consistency.

The point I am making here is that mid 90s Favre gets the nod over Rodgers and any QB I think that has ever played the game. To take away from the 1990s Brett Favre is to take away from the legacy of the Packers. He was amazing. However, Rodgers does have an opportunity to have a more consistent career.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

I would change it to Favre is the moste talented QB ever. But he lacked the discipline and focus to take advantage of that talent. Which is why he was a streaky player. Favre was not the go to player in his super bowl win. Reggie and Desmond were.

If Favre had Montana's work ethic, dedication and focus, he would easily be the best.

Starr was a go to guy. Rodgers is a go to guy. Favre was contained so he wouldn't screw it up.

Favre isn't equal to Rodgers in his abiliy to close the deal.

"porky88" wrote:

And off the field variables definitely matter.

I do think it is worth noting that Favre and Rodgers are very different players. I think you're undervaluing Favre's work ethic, but discipline and focus are great points. Rodgers has those and Favre really didn't. Favre relied more on instincts and his raw talent. I think a comparison to make is Joe Montana as many have mention. He didn't have the numbers of a Brett Favre, but he had the discipline and focus, which you bring up.

Rodgers reminds me of a right-handed Steve Young sometimes, but he also has a ton of Montana traits, which hopefully will translate into a similar career. If I had to guess, I would say Rodgers will never match Favre stat-for-stat, but he has an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls. Rodgers is much more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of a QB. I have a difficult time pinpointing a major weakness in his game. Tom Brady, John Elway, and Montana are really the only other QBs I struggle to do that with.

I know I am knocking on wood, but the sky is the limit. Lets let him get there first though.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Montana had none of the raw talents of Favre. He's an example of where insane work ethics will get you. Montana - 10 TDs, 0 INTs in 4 SBs and a 4-0 SB record. Favre - 4 TDs, 1 rushing TD, 2 INTs, 1-1 SB record.

I see Rodgers in the future being compared more to Montana than to Favre, which is a good thing for a Packers fan. :thumbright:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
No no no. The only quarterback we should want Rodgers being compared to is Starr.

*He* is the [strike]gold[/strike] platinum standard for championship quarterbacks, discipline, work ethic, all those things.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hey, I don't care which team they were on, as long as Aaron Rodgers is FAVORABLY compared to other QBs who won many championships... 🙂
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

You beat me to it, porky, by two days (I was out of town). As good as Rodgers was in 2010, Favre was almost untouchable in 1996. I think too many people are reading Favre's later flaws into the earlier part of his career. This article is about how Favre played in 1996, which was phenomenal.

Also, I'm not convinced that Holmgren reduced Favre's role in the Super Bowl. If he did, then who picked up the slack on offense? Edgar Bennett? Favre was a great all-around QB from 1995 to 1998. He carried that offense. The O-line was average, the receivers were banged up, and the backs were good role players but not difference-makers. Yet they still had the #1 offense in the league. That was mainly because of Favre. And if he needed a really good coach to help reach his potential, that shouldn't be a knock on him. Favre was the guy who was on the field and got the job done.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3m) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (6h) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.