porky88
12 years ago
Dont sell the Patriots short. That was a defense lead by Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells, though the latter may have mentally checked out by then. Nonetheless, I think the adjustments they made had something to do with the lack of offense in the second half.
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Could be some truth to that, Porky. Belichick, as much as everyone hates him, is a genius. They may have adjusted to Favre lighting them up in the first half. 27 points is a lot for a half.

After that, Favre threw a lot of incompletions that NOBODY could have caught. It was intentional. Just don't turn the ball over and have faith in the D.

Did we want to score more? Sure. I have a hard time believing Holmgren held Favre back. Belichick is a smarter man than Holmgren, with all due respect to Holmgren. Him making adjustments that took out of O would make more sense than Holmgren handcuffing Favre.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Unless you know Favre will take chances that he shouldn't.

Looking at 20 years of examples, it seems like a logical conclusion.

Favre started throwing them away with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, before they adjusted. The only completions he got after that were dump off passes to the backs and TEs with one 2 yarder to Freeman.

Fave has never let a D stop him from throwing it where ever he wanted to before or since.

Into triple coverage late over the middle or not.

Favre only completed 52% of his passes. That isn't exactly lighting them up. Almost half of the Pass yards in the first half were RAC. Freeman and Rison took 33 yard and 26 yard passes and turned them into 136 yards. It was more a case of bad angles and man coverage than anything Favre did. He had a good drive where he ran it in... after 7 straight running plays. The 2 field goals were set up by a pick and a return.

The D had 4 ints, Reggie had his triple sacks after the 99 yard kick off return plus one sack each by Butler and Dotson. Favre was not the guy to carry the team like people say.

He didn't do anything great, or spectacular. The best thing you can really say is he didn't screw up too much. Because when he did screw up and throw one up for grabs inside our own 20, New England dropped the pick.

He was along for the ride.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Dexter - I think you and NSD are going the other extreme.

It's somewhere in the middle. Favre threw a pretty good game. He didn't make mistakes. Yes, Reggie got 3 sacks. Yes, Howard was amazing. But you can't discount those stats. They speak for themselves. Both SBs he played in, he outplayed the other QB by a lot.

Hitting someone in a perfect angle is a good thing. It's what made Montana's QB rating so high. Should we downplay Montana too?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago
I think there was also a clear indication the Packers wanted to go down field with the football. Obviously, they felt their WRs could outrun New Englands DBs on turf. Regardless, complaining about Favre in the Super Bowl is kinda over the top in my view.

He was the best overall player in the NFL that season. He may not have had the A+ performance in the Super Bowl, but he definitely is one of the three key components to the 96-championship team.
Stevetarded
12 years ago
the 96 team may have an edge in straight position by position comparison but I think the 2010 team would win a game. Mostly because I think the 2010 secondary could handle the 96 WRs much easier than the 96 secondary could handle 2010 WRs. I also believe Rodgers would handle facing a Defense filled with some playmakers much better than Favre would have.

The only edge I would give to 96 head to head really is KR (Masthay was doing a good job nullifying punt returns last season) and I don't think that would be enough to take over the game.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago
I know QB rating isn't the end all/be all stat, but Favre had a 107.9 rating in the SB we won compared to 46.6 for Drew Bledsoe. In the next SB, Favre had a 91.0 rating (3 TDs vs 1 INT) vs Elway's 51.9. Elway only threw for 123 yards that game and completed 12 passes. Their OL line killed us though in that game.

Now in 2 SBs, Favre threw 5 TDs and ran in for another vs 1 INT. That's pretty freaking good. I'd have to watch it again, but I think Porky's point makes the most sense that Belichick's D toughened up in the 2nd half and forced Favre to throw the ball away. I do remember him throwing the ball away a lot in the 2nd half. Better to punt than to throw an INT.

96 vs 2010, I'd put money on '96. That D was sick. #1 D, #1 O has never lost a SB. I think only two teams have ever had a #1 O and #1 D in the SB years and both times won it. Plus the wild card of Desmond Howard.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

It's somewhere in the middle. Favre threw a pretty good game. He didn't make mistakes. Yes, Reggie got 3 sacks. Yes, Howard was amazing. But you can't discount those stats. They speak for themselves. Both SBs he played in, he outplayed the other QB by a lot.

Hitting someone in a perfect angle is a good thing. It's what made Montana's QB rating so high. Should we downplay Montana too?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I broke it down play by play once a while back, Favre dropped back to pass 20 times in the first half. I think it was 213 yards and 100 of it was in RAC. He completed 8, had 3 sacks, a 2 yard scramble and 8 incompletions. One incompletion was from inside our 20 and nearly picked off. It was the 4th possession or something. I don't have it written down so I am trying to remember.

Our D had a total of 5 sacks. Reggie, Santana and LeRoy. The field position was set up buy 4 picks and a great return game. Bledsoe was harried and pressured the whole game.

Favre had only 5 attempts to the WRs in the second half. Only 1 completion for 2 yards. I think his completion percentage went up because all the rest were dump off passes to TEs or RBs.

The only thing I can say is that starting 10 minutes into the second quarter, all he did was not fill his pants. 33 yards in 35 minutes of play.

2 pretty good throws in a game. I wouldn't call that throwing a good game.

I am not saying he sucked or was a waste of meat. Just that after those 2 catches where the WRs did most of the work, Favre didn't do much.

He is much more talented than he played in that game. He usually makes up for the mistakes with unbelievable performance. But he didn't this game. He made up for an insignificant performance by not having his few mistakes capitalized on. For which I give credit where it is due. To Holmgren.

Montana had a high completion percentage and low ints. RAC isn't the only reason he is better than Favre.
porky88
12 years ago

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

I broke it down play by play once a while back, Favre dropped back to pass 20 times in the first half. I think it was 213 yards and 100 of it was in RAC. He completed 8, had 3 sacks, a 2 yard scramble and 8 incompletions. One incompletion was from inside our 20 and nearly picked off. It was the 4th possession or something. I don't have it written down so I am trying to remember.

Our D had a total of 5 sacks. Reggie, Santana and LeRoy. The field position was set up buy 4 picks and a great return game. Bledsoe was harried and pressured the whole game.

Favre had only 5 attempts to the WRs in the second half. Only 1 completion for 2 yards. I think his completion percentage went up because all the rest were dump off passes to TEs or RBs.

The only thing I can say is that starting 10 minutes into the second quarter, all he did was not fill his pants. 33 yards in 35 minutes of play.

2 pretty good throws in a game. I wouldn't call that throwing a good game.

I am not saying he sucked or was a waste of meat. Just that after those 2 catches where the WRs did most of the work, Favre didn't do much.

He is much more talented than he played in that game. He usually makes up for the mistakes with unbelievable performance. But he didn't this game. He made up for an insignificant performance by not having his few mistakes capitalized on. For which I give credit where it is due. To Holmgren.

Montana had a high completion percentage and low ints. RAC isn't the only reason he is better than Favre.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Those two throws were perfect passes. His throw to Rison was spot on and his throw to Freeman was even better. Both didnt have to stop to make the catch. The most important part of YAC is the accuracy of the throw. Youre underselling Favres value in this game. The offense still put up three touchdowns in large part because of Brett Favre. Certainly, the defense played the biggest role and Desmond Howard put the Pack over the top, but Favre made some major plays that resulted into points.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
The 3rd touchdown was set up by a pick or a return (can't remember which right now) and 7 straight runs including that 2 yard scramble by Favre. The 2 field goals were set up by a pick and a return, Howard's TD was a return and the 55 yard TD pass was set up by a return (maybe a pick ). Favre's scoring was in large part due to the D and the ST setting him up.

Field position, RAC and D won the game. Favre had a couple good plays AND a couple bad plays. NE failed to capitalize on the mistakes. Then our D shut them down.

2 good throws a game won't get anybody a MVP.

Rodgers gets 65% completions, with huge drops. He made 4 of those throws in the 3rd quarter of the super bowl. Favre is better only throwing 2 in a whole game and 52% completions?

Rodgers is much better under duress than Bledsoe ever was. The chances of him having that bad of a game against the '96 D is pretty slim. He also ran one in. With the performance Favre had, there is no way that he wins a shoot out.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (11h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (12h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (15h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (15h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.