Pack93z
12 years ago

How can you take a generalized statement personally? All I did was simplified the whole process. Fuck, this place is frustrating sometimes.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Don't worry.. I am a bit lost on the exact matter of basis of objection to the application of the tax and why it should be the Yankees responsibility to pay said taxes?

They gifted the kid a suite which has significant value.. for receipt of value there is a tax due. The Yankees out of their act of appreciation have given up significant value.. why should they incur the taxes on top for something this kid has been given?

Now if I am Derek Jeter.. with his income that amount we are talking about is a couple at bats for him, find a way to take care of this matter for the kid. Hire the kid to wash his car or something, pay him enough to cover the gift tax plus the income tax incurred as a return gesture.

Claim it at tax time and close the door.

If I am Jeter that ball probably doesn't mean a whole lot to me.. but I am not him. But return the act of kindness in a way that isn't really going to hurt you in any way and close the door. Thus provide good deeds don't go unrewarded.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

How can you take a generalized statement personally? All I did was simplified the whole process. Fuck, this place is frustrating sometimes.

lol, my bad, that did come off overly strong. I interpreted your post as if people are pissing and moaning about paying ANY tax. I thought it was about the guy being taxed for being GIVEN the suite seats.

Don't worry.. I am a bit lost on the exact matter of basis of objection to the application of the tax and why it should be the Yankees responsibility to pay said taxes?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I guess my explanation ... twice ... wasn't explained well enough.

Birthday and Christmas gifts from now on, I'm going to make the kids pay the tax lol ... makes sense, right? They were given a gift of great value, as any gift from me is of GREAT value!! :P

I know that a gift of X value merits a taxable action, I just disagree with it. I think a gift is a gift, should come with no strings attached. I think it's idiotic to make someone pay a tax on something they were given. A gift as in an item, not cash.

If you win a car, doesn't that mean someone had to BUY that car, in which they paid taxes for it already, so why does the gift recipient have to pay taxes on it as well? And if the manufacturer is giving the car away, then they forfeited the sales of the item, so why should there be a tax on it? The manufacture loses out, but somehow the government should should always cash in? That doesn't seem right.

I guess how (apparently...in my narrow minded view) a gift must be purchased before it can be given, right? And when you purchase something, you've paid a tax. I disagree with another tax being applied to the person/people receiving the gift. That to me sounds like the government is double dipping.

Regarding the suite seats, it confuses me a bit as to what should happen.
Are the Yankee's purchasing the seats in the name of the guy? If so, Yankee's pay the tax and there shouldn't be tax applied to the guy receiving the seats because a tax was already paid.

Are the Yankee's simply accepting no profit from the seats? If so, there shouldn't be a tax applied because nothing was purchased. There's no guarantee that those seats would have sold so how can you tax something on an estimate? Does that actually happen?

I don't know how this whole tax stuff works, but I do know what feels right and wrong. And I firmly believe that when you receive a gift, it's wrong to be held liable for paying a tax on the estimated value of said gift. I'm trying to understand the point of view opposing this, but no one has made any sense other than saying basically 'it is what it is' essentially and unfortunately, for me, that's not good enough to sway my perception.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

I guess I've never understood people's frustrations with the paying of taxes. I've always looked at it as your dues for living in this great country, which needs a lot of maintenance (shouldn't there be a price to live in this society?). I do understand the inequites and unfairness of taxation with regards to income levels, but as long as we police the world like we have been doing, the tax bill will remain large. I think a lot of people get disgusted paying taxes because they feel there are a lot of leeches out there (FU VR about ND, I've worked all my life), but I just look at those people as accepting an inferior life and taking advantage of something that shouldn't be allowed, if the person is able to work.

Watch it pal. Your undies are showing, and I think I just saw a hammer and sickle.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
Christian Lopez gets plenty of help 

One good turn deserves another, and another, and another.

Christian Lopez, a 23-year-old cellphone salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., decided to return Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit ball Saturday instead of trying to cash in. He received memorabilia and tickets from the New York Yankees but then found out he may have to pay taxes on that windfall. If he does, at least two companies said Wednesday that they are ready to strike out his debt.

But that's not all! For his generosity, Lopez will also get his own baseball card and has received a 2009 World Series ring.

According to accountants contacted by the New York Daily News and The New York Times, Lopez's tax bill on the Yankees merchandise could end up being anywhere from $5,000 to $14,000.

"Worse comes to worse, I'll have to pay the taxes," Lopez told the Daily News on Monday. "I'm not going to return the seats. I have a lot of family and friends who will help me out if need be.

"The IRS has a job to do, so I'm not going to hold it against them, but it would be cool if they helped me out a little on this."

Well, it looks as if he will get plenty of help. Miller High Life issued a statement Wednesday saying that the company would cover Lopez's tax bill.

"Miller High Life believes you should be rewarded for doing the right thing, not penalized," Miller High Life brand manager Brendan Noonan said in a statement. "We want to recognize Christian Lopez, and in turn everyone like him, for doing the common sense thing and help him continue to live the High Life."

The 2009 Yankees World Series ring came courtesy of Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell's Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell's sponsors the Yankees. Both Modell and Brandon Steiner, CEO of Steiner Sports, guaranteed Lopez at least $25,000 each toward his outstanding student loans of $150,000.

Steiner said he got a call on Wednesday from his buddy Modell, and they got the ball rolling. Steiner set up an auction of memorabilia that eventually will include baseballs signed by both Lopez and Jeter and said Modell is pledging 5 percent from the sale of Yankees-related merchandise at the Modell's chain during what will be called "Christian Lopez Week."

"That itself is a totally awesome situation right now for all parties involved," Lopez said.

What impressed the sports executives -- as well as countless fans across the country -- was the way Lopez passed on the chance to sell the ball.

"Can you believe how good a mensch this kid was?" Steiner said.

Modell called Lopez "truly a true New Yorker" and "a class act." Steiner even taught Lopez how to properly sign a baseball.

Wearing a broad smile, a personalized Yankees hat, a DJ3K shirt and a new piece of jewelry, Lopez admitted at Modell's in Times Square he was "absolutely speechless right now." Lopez has been overrun with requests since Saturday.

"It's been overwhelming to be honest with you," he said. "It's been a little crazy. But I'm handling it as best I can. I'm trying to get back to everybody I can."

That includes Topps, which said it will produce a trading card featuring Lopez that will be included in sets later this year. Company vice president for sports Mark Sapir says Topps employees were impressed by Lopez's selfless act.

"Yeah, I spoke with them a couple days ago," Lopez said. "All I know, is they kind of want to make a baseball card out of me."

Sapir says Topps also will have Lopez choose the image for its 2012 Derek Jeter card.

Lopez was an avid collector as a kid. He said he has "probably a couple thousand baseball cards."

His favorite? A Yankees card, of course. It depicts Babe Ruth and one of the Yankees' owners at the time he came over from the Red Sox in 1920.

"It's a very dear card to me. I've had it for 15 years now or so," Lopez said.

According to reports, the Yankees gave Lopez luxury box tickets for the rest of the season (including postseason), signed baseballs, bats and jerseys from Jeter. He also received front-row seats to Sunday's Yankees-Rays game.

UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago
"Miller High Life believes you should be rewarded for doing the right thing, not penalized,"

THIS
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dhazer (5h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (6h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (22h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.