DakotaT
12 years ago
I guess I've never understood people's frustrations with the paying of taxes. I've always looked at it as your dues for living in this great country, which needs a lot of maintenance (shouldn't there be a price to live in this society?). I do understand the inequites and unfairness of taxation with regards to income levels, but as long as we police the world like we have been doing, the tax bill will remain large. I think a lot of people get disgusted paying taxes because they feel there are a lot of leeches out there (FU VR about ND, I've worked all my life), but I just look at those people as accepting an inferior life and taking advantage of something that shouldn't be allowed, if the person is able to work.

Zero, I don't agree with you that the giver should pay the tax in your example. If I won a car, I'd damn well have to pay the motor vehicle excise tax for it.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
12 years ago
If Jeter or the Yankees paid the taxes wouldn't that also qualify as a taxable gift upon which taxes will be owed?
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
flep
12 years ago
Confusing???

Surely the Yankees would only pay tax on money earned as most people?

As no money has passed hands between the fan or the yankees how can tax be payable.???

If I have 5 apples which i bought for 1 dollar each and sell 4 for 2 dollars each I would be a dollar down on my 5th apple and would only be taxed on the 4 dollars profit I made.

How can you pay tax on a gift?

Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

I guess I've never understood people's frustrations with the paying of taxes. I've always looked at it as your dues for living in this great country, which needs a lot of maintenance (shouldn't there be a price to live in this society?).

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I don't object to the existence of taxes. (Though I do consider some forms of taxes more egregious than others, like, say, any tax whose incidence is based upon a condition precedent of giving.)

What I object to is excessive government spending. The federal government for most of my lifetime has spent almost 30 percent or more of GDP. (And recently, that number has pushed past 40%.) And I am convinced, utterly, that most of that spending represents activities that either (a) are wholly unnecessary -- e.g., the average congresscritter's salary and 90% of its perks -- or could be performed cheaper AND more productively by people who were enabled only to the extent that they are valued in the market rather than enabled only by their ability to coerce compliance with their wishes.

And taxes are the ultimate instrument of that coercion. Government can spend ever increasing amounts in ever increasing interference/distortion of costs and benefits because they aren't subject to the market constraint of having to find people to trade with for what they do. All they have to do is consent among themselves, "on behalf of the governed," and then send out tax collectors to acquire the financing. Or, worse, send out the Fed and the Treasury to decrease the value of the currency in ways that take the financing from those as yet unborn (i.e., the people paying taxes when the debt financing has to be repaid).

Are there things that we need government to do or help with? Sure, Some "maintenance" things that we need even the feds for? Sure. The Marines come to mind. Treaties and foreign policy more generally. Interstate transportation (national highways and navigable waterways. Courts. Some national parks.

But these things are a *fraction* of what taxes pay for. These things are a *fraction* of what government spends on, a *fraction* of what it purports to "need" tax revenue for.

Save for cases of imminent invasion, in my opinion the federal government's ability to tax (and hence to spend) should be capped. (And re: the "imminent invasion" exception, think War of 1812 here, or perhaps Pearl Harbor, not any "threat to national security" that has been trumpeted since, at the very latest, the first decade of the Cold War.) And that ability to spend should not be capped by things as tissue-paper nebulous as "debt ceilings" and "budget resolutions." Or even just by a "balanced budget amendment." Capped by a Constitutional prohibition that says that the federal government can in a year spend no more than a fixed percent of the prior year's GDP.

No, that's not restrictive enough. No more than a fixed percent of the non-government-spending part of the prior year's GDP.

Personally I'd put that "spending ceiling percentage" very low, as in pre-New Deal, pre-WWI levels, at about 10-12% . (In my mind, the real blame for the growth of government lies not with the Obama and the Bush Junior or with any president from Nixon on. Those people have been bozos, each worse than the one who came before in their spending profligacy, but they have profligate in part because their predecessors built the foundations of government doing all the stuff that it does. From Wilson getting us involved in the most destructive war in human history to Johnson's Great Society, they morphed government from its role as a maintenance worker to its current role as primary provider for the family.

We need the government to do janitor tasks and Maytag repairman tasks. We don't need government to be our mommy and our daddy and the payer of allowances.

Unfortunately, the doting grandparents of Wilson and Hoover and FDR and Johnson, followed by the Boomer Era parents of Nixon and Carter and Reagan and Bush Jr. and Obama, have made us so co-dependent we are unaware of our addictions.

So much so that not even "fiscal conservatives" are going to consider my 10-12% figure realistic.

Heck, I'd be satisfied with a spending ceiling of 30 percent at this point.

Not that it'll happen.

I fully expect that percentage to continue to rise. We've become a nation of lemmings, and we're going to end up like the lemmings do.

We're running toward the cliff, all the while pushing the accelerator and calling for more speed.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

How can you pay tax on a gift?

Originally Posted by: flep 

Just like any tax that is based upon the payee's wealth rather than his/her income. The government say, "you have wealth of X. I deserve a cut of that. If you don't have cash to pay it, sell it and give me my cut out of the proceeds. And if you can't sell it, give it to me."

Probate has two functions: (i) to ensure the transfer of ownership from gift-giver (the dead person) to the recipients of the gift (the "heirs"); and (ii) to ensure the government doesn't get cheated of its cut. I'll let you decide which you think the government thinks is more critical. Hint: Who gets paid first? Another hint: Who doesn't get paid until the other is satisfied?

Governments have been collecting taxes from wealth a lot longer than they have been collecting taxes from income.

If there's one thing they're unquestionably good at, its finding ways of collecting their cut. And it's an ability that has nothing to do with your ability to pay.

Sorry.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I guess I've never understood people's frustrations with the paying of taxes. I've always looked at it as your dues for living in this great country, which needs a lot of maintenance (shouldn't there be a price to live in this society?). I do understand the inequites and unfairness of taxation with regards to income levels, but as long as we police the world like we have been doing, the tax bill will remain large. I think a lot of people get disgusted paying taxes because they feel there are a lot of leeches out there (FU VR about ND, I've worked all my life), but I just look at those people as accepting an inferior life and taking advantage of something that shouldn't be allowed, if the person is able to work.

Zero, I don't agree with you that the giver should pay the tax in your example. If I won a car, I'd damn well have to pay the motor vehicle excise tax for it.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I'm not complaining or frustrated of the premise of tax, as I said in an earlier post I understand it's value. However, in situations like this, where someone was attending a sporting event, has the thrill of catching a home run ball and graciously returns it rather than being some smuck putting it up on eBay... I think IF he were to be forced a tax because the Yankees GAVE him suite seats for the rest of the year ... I think is wrong.

Again, when I buy my daughter's gifts, they are not held responsible for the tax, I am. And in my opinion, the Yankee's are giving something away, so they should be required to pay the tax. If I bought my daughters suite seats at Yankee stadium, guess who pays that tax? Me, the one GIVING the gift.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

If Jeter or the Yankees paid the taxes wouldn't that also qualify as a taxable gift upon which taxes will be owed?

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Yep. That is why then these things are paid for by someone else they have to use a multiplier and pay even more than the $14K. I saw a chart when I was in college but I forgot the formula. First of all it depends on what tax bracket you get bumped into, your deductions and it goes on from there. I think they use a multiplier somewhere around 1.35.

It is not unheard of for an employer to pay the taxes on a gift IE: a bonus or a trip or the use of corporate condo.

Whether you like it or not, it is considered unearned income and is taxable. The game show winners fall into this category as well. He will owe something. The Yankees are not obligated to pay his taxes but it would be nice if they did.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
As obnoxious as it may seem, this is just standard tax policy. If you are reroofing your house and a bunch of your buds come over to help you out for free (maybe in exchange for a few brewskis), you are technically supposed to report the value of their labor as "bartering income ." You think I am joking, but you would be surprised at the number of people who have been hit with tax assessments for receiving freebies from their friends or relatives. Your boss gives you one of his deer every fall? That's barter income. Your uncle does your taxes for you? That's barter income. Your buddy lets you borrow his car while he's out of country for a few months? That's probably barter income too.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Like I said, I understand the reason by taxing, I just feel it's a bit excessive. Which is probably why I don't think about having taxes taken out of my paycheck, then also paying tax on everything I use my paycheck to buy, lol. Obviously, it's not a double whammy, but it feels like it. The majority of our paycheck taxes go to Federal, where as the majority of our spending tax goes to the State. At least, I think that's how it works. I'm not a tax nerd so I dunno.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Most individuals pay more in state income taxes than they do in federal, and in some states, the state income tax rate is higher than the federal FICA rate too. A lot of it depends on family situation. My father pays way more in state taxes, because he has so many children and Wisconsin doesn't have all the tax credits the federal government offers.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (22h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.