macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
An article with something for everybody...from Maddenites to ground hogs...it's a little schizophrenic :-"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/PRN/125860508.html 

We continue our series of reflections on the Packers Super Bowl season as we wait and hope for an end to the collective bargaining stalemate and eventually a return to NFL football.

There is an old adage in the NFL, “run the football, stop the run.” It is a formula that best determines who is winning the war in the trenches and who is a Super Bowl contender. But every rule has exceptions and the Green Bay Packers of 2010 were the exception to that rule. Last season due to the loss of thousand-yard rusher Ryan Grant in the first half of the opener in Philadelphia, the Packers struggled to run the football. They ranked 24th in rushing yards per game (100.4 yards) and 25th in yards per play (3.8 avg. yards). Defensively injuries and a suspension took a toll. It began with the season long suspension of defensive end Johnny Jolly who led the defensive line in tackles in 2009.

Injuries to starting inside linebacker Nick Barnett, who led the team in tackles a team record five seasons in his career, strong safety Atari Bigby, the revolving door at outside linebacker opposite Clay Matthews and the late season calf injury that took defensive end Cullen Jenkins out of the last month of the regular season took a toll. That toll was seen largely in the run defense. The Packers slipped from first in the league defending the run in 2009 (83.3 yards/game) to 18th in the league giving up 114.9 rushing yards per game in 2010.

In my opinion, the genius of Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers is his ability to adapt to the personnel he has available to him in a given week or season. Such was the case last year. Capers started four different players at outside linebacker. He utilized in season “street” free agent pickups like NT Howard Green and OLB Erik Walden to help win key games at the Meadowlands over the Jets and against the Bears in the playoff-clinching win in Green Bay. While the Packers struggled statistically to stop the run during the regular season, they allowed only 6 rushing touchdowns last season, 3rd best mark in the league. The longest run against this defense was 40 yards. You could say, when it counted most, they were able to play effectively against the run.

The team that best reflected the “run the football and stop the run” mantra was the New York Jets. Last year the Jets ranked 4th in rushing the football while they were 3rd in stopping the run. The Vikings with All Pro RB Adrien Peterson were 10th in rushing and 9th in rushing yards allowed per game behind the “Williams Wall.” Neither team was in Dallas for the Super Bowl.

The best teams in the league, the Patriots and Falcons were only solid in either category. New England was 9th in rushing yards per game 11th in stopping the run. Atlanta was 12th running the football 10th in run defense.

So how did the Packers make it all the way to the Super Bowl with their numbers in these normally critical categories?

First off, as everyone knows the NFL in this day and age is a “pass first” league. The Green Bay passing game ranked 5th in the league, quarterback Aaron Rodgers was third in the league in passer rating. The club had 3 wide receivers reach the 50-catch mark for the first time in the 92-year history of the franchise.

Secondly, down the stretch coach Mike McCarthy invested in the ground game. In the final seven games of the regular season the Packers rushed for 108.3 yards per game on 30.4 rushing attempts. That was a fine supplement to the Packers dangerous passing game.

In the post season rookie runner James Starks came to the fore with a 23-carry 123-yard breakout performance in the Wild Card victory at Philadelphia.

The Packers rushed for 138 yards at Philly, 96 yards at Atlanta, and 120 yards in Chicago. Defensively the Eagles made just 82 rushing yards, Atlanta only 45, and the Bears 83 rushing yards.

The Super Bowl was a different story, in part because of the game plan. The Packers only attempted 13 running plays against the vaunted Pittsburgh front seven. McCarthy knew if he could get the game into the secondary of the Steelers, they would not be able to stop the Packers passing attack. He was right!

But in the end, while the 2010 Packers were neither a great running team nor a team that was especially good at stopping the run in the regular season, they proved in the playoffs, you must “run the football and stop the run” if you are on the road to the Super Bowl.

JSOnline.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
12 years ago
No mention of all the nickel D they played last year? 🤨
beast
12 years ago
So basically the phase “run the football and stop the run” failed this year?

Don't we have articles that have said “pass the football and stop the pass” (not called that but same idea) have worked time after time again and worked last year?

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago
More like "pass so well that it stops them from running and stop the pass".
blank
12 years ago
Yeah, this mantra is not accurate anymore, at least for the time being. I think it was Pete Prisco's power rankings that I just looked at, and it was a 4-piece ranking system: 1) QB 2) pass rusher 3) pass defender 4) LT.

As he says in the article, the NFL is a perimeter game now.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
It's kind of a funny article. He starts with an outdated premise, eventually admits that it is outdated, but then embraces it again at the end. Maybe Wayne should stick to play-by-play.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago
They changed the rules in 1970. Previously to that, it had been a power running league. Subsequently to that, it has become a passing league, with guys like Don Coryell and Bill Walsh perfecting their systems based on how to take maximum advantage of the rule changes that benefitted the passing game.
It would have been very interesting to see how Lombardi would have reacted. People look at him as being such an "old school" guy, but he was actually VERY cutting edge in his day.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

It's kind of a funny article. He starts with an outdated premise, eventually admits that it is outdated, but then embraces it again at the end. Maybe Wayne should stick to play-by-play.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I had similar thoughts reading the article (though I didn't go as far as the play-by-play thought).

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (19m) : damn those vikings
beast (41m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (47m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (48m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (49m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (50m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.