Poll Question: Who would hurt to watch walk away the most?

Total: 10

pack_in_black
12 years ago
Totally ripped the poll question from JSO, but I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts on who would hurt to lose more: Sitton, Finley, Nelson, Grant, or Wells?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
12 years ago
Since they signed Jones and have Cobb I think a decision has already been made to let Nelson go.

They have alternatives for Grant and Finley.

They don't have an alternative for Wells.

Sitton is too good to let go.

So to prioritize the list:

1) Sitton

2) Wells

3) Finley

4) Grant (short term incentive filled take it or leave it offer)

5) Nelson gets a "Thank you" and best wishes.
blank
porky88
12 years ago

Since they signed Jones and have Cobb I think a decision has already been made to let Nelson go.

1) Sitton

2) Wells

3) Finley

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

Personally, the better football move is to release Driver and use that money to retain Jordy Nelson. That is what I think will likely happen if Driver doesn't retire or take a significant pay cut.

Other than that, I agree with most of your assessment. Sitton is clearly the No. 1 priority. I would be shocked if they don't get something done during the season. I can understand an argument for either Finley or Wells after that. Wells played so well last year, so I would like to see that they retain him, though perhaps Nick McDonald is the future there.

Either way, I don’t see why they can’t retain Finley, Nelson, Sitton and Wells this offseason. I believe Grant is the odd man out. Starks should be the future at RB.
pack_in_black
12 years ago

Personally, the better football move is to release Driver and use that money to retain Jordy Nelson. That is what I think will likely happen if Driver doesn't retire or take a significant pay cut.

Other than that, I agree with most of your assessment. Sitton is clearly the No. 1 priority. I would be shocked if they don't get something done during the season. I can understand an argument for either Finley or Wells after that. Wells played so well last year, so I would like to see that they retain him, though perhaps Nick McDonald is the future there.

Either way, I don’t see why they can’t retain Finley, Nelson, Sitton and Wells this offseason. I believe Grant is the odd man out. Starks should be the future at RB.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I agree with you here, Porky.

Sitton is the best lineman according to some scouts, but I remember way back in the days of the "Re-sign Wahle/Rivera!" debates hearing that Ted placed a low value on the Guard position. Then he let a decent D. Colledge walk without so much as a courtesy offer. (according to Colledge) I think he gets a new deal, but it's something I've been thinking about..

I think that more than a few fans fail to realize the rarity of Finley's talent. He'll be something special if he stays healthy. And from the last quote I read from the guy, he said something about being happy if he got a long-term offer, none of this "highest paid at my position" stuff like we hear from a lot of guys around the league. I think he'll get it done if he plays 8-10 games without getting hurt.

Jordy is a key for the spread formations, especially if Driver deteriorates or is cut. Having 3 viable threats plus Finley (we don't know much about Cobb as a WR at this point) is big for an offense that loves to spread it out until its talent outmatches the defense's.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
12 years ago
The cap space will rise slightly.

Who will be the cap casualties to add cap space?
Of the large salaries probably Clifton, Driver, and Grant.

I think Finley will chase the money and not stay.

Don't ignore the cost of signing Flynn.

I also think next year that Raji and Matthews get extensions early at lower cost to the Packers.
blank
nyrpack
12 years ago
finley , no doubt !!
jimmy b.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Sitton. Ahem.

If Sitton plays anywhere other than GB in the next five years, I will be seriously pissed off.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
macbob
12 years ago

1) Sitton

2) Wells

3) Finley

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

I put Finley first, but the rest of my order matches yours (Sitton/Wells/Grant/Nelson).

Reason I went with Finley is the distance between him and the rest of the TEs. If he stays healthy, I expect he's going to be the top TE (or in the running for the top TE) in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
12 years ago

I think that more than a few fans fail to realize the rarity of Finley's talent.

Originally Posted by: pack_in_black 

I don't think that is the problem at all. If reading this forum is any indication then the overwhelming majority of Packer fans fantasize more about Finley than they do their wives and girlfriends. The issue is that the guy simply has not been able to stay healthy in his short tenure here in Green Bay. He has been all absurd potential and very little living up to that (although he has played very well when he's been healthy). For the past several years we have been expecting him to challenge guys like Antonio Gates for the best TE in all of football. We know he is a special talent.

In my opinion, the biggest possible loss for us is Sitton for one very big reason: Rodgers. The single most important factor for us to compete for more Super Bowl titles over the next 5 years is keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy and Sitton has been by far our best lineman the last couple years. We need him to help insure the health of Rodgers. What Finley does can be--and has been--replaced by some of our other weapons. The same can not be said about the guys behind Sitton.
Born and bred a cheesehead
beast
12 years ago
I can understand a case for Finley being #1 BUT they got Quarless, Williams, Taylor and maybe Crabtree which combined with the talented WRs can make up for the loss of Finley, where I don't think that loss can be made up nearly as well (with the current guys) if they lose Sitton. And if they lose Sitton who the heck is going to stop Lions DT Suh from being in the backfield every play? Got to protect guys...

I disagree with the idea they signed Jones and Cobb so they're going to let Nelson walk. It seemed like they were letting Jones walk and some teams were interested but no team bit on signing him and choose to go else where. Last I heard Jones numbers still haven't been reported which is said to be a sign the agent isn't happy with the numbers and Jones said he didn't even know what the numbers were...

Now if Jones got a very good deal after all them maybe the Packers are choosing him over Nelson... but if it was a very good deal then why isn't the agent talking like they almost always do after a good deal...?

I think they wanted Nelson back more than Jones... though Jones signed does drive the Packers demand for a WR down. The big question is how does Driver do have having some struggles last year.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (20h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.