Poll Question: Who would hurt to watch walk away the most?

Total: 10

porky88
12 years ago
I expect Sitton to receive a deal during the regular-season ala Tramon Williams. The Wahle comparisons don't work for me. The Packers were in cap hell when Wahle left and Sitton is a few years younger. His best football is still in front of him. He'll be around for along time in my opinion.

I can't see Clifton sticking around another season. Isn't he a free agent anyways? Regardless, it is unlikely he's the Packers starting OLT next season, especially with Derek Sherrod on the roster.

The Packers won't pay Donald Driver the kind of money he's currently receiving if he continues to produce as the team's No. 4 WR. That's the bottom line there. I'm a huge Driver fan, but I can't imagine him sticking around at his salary.

I agree Finley is somewhat a wildcard to say the least. However, for him to chase big money, he’ll need to produce a major season. If that happens, he’ll get the franchise tag. It won’t cost that much either, as TEs are ridiculously expensive.
Greg C.
12 years ago
I went with Sitton, because I agree with others that he would be hard to replace, but Finley is a close second. It's hard to compare them because they are such different players.

I don't think of Finley as injury prone. He had an injury in '09 that cost him a few games, then the big injury after five games in 2010. The injuries were unrelated. One was the result of being tackled awkwardly and the other was the result of him tackling on a fumble return. I don't believe he was injured in his two years of college football.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I went with Sitton, because I agree with others that he would be hard to replace, but Finley is a close second. It's hard to compare them because they are such different players.

I don't think of Finley as injury prone. He had an injury in '09 that cost him a few games, then the big injury after five games in 2010. The injuries were unrelated. One was the result of being tackled awkwardly and the other was the result of him tackling on a fumble return. I don't believe he was injured in his two years of college football.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Finley is probably not injury prone but he is injury unlucky. The only way for him to get big bucks is to have the numbers to justify the payout. The have been glimpses but nothing to warrant they payday. Hopefully this year.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

Since they signed Jones and have Cobb I think a decision has already been made to let Nelson go.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

Actually I think that was protection in case Drivers game slows a bit more.. IMO, Jones deal was a value type contract.. and it affords them many a choice moving forward.

They have alternatives for Grant and Finley.

Agreed.. I think Grant will be rode hard this year and allowed to test his market.. then make a choice.. Finley becomes a tough choice.. how special of a player does he become and how do you handle it. Franchise then trade.. or do you decide to keep him for the dynamic aspect.. of course this hinges on him staying on the field.

They don't have an alternative for Wells.

McDonald and EDS are viable options.. or at least could be. I like Wells... I really do, but I think some of our running issues are because he doesn't get a great deal of pop off the snap.. good player just not a physical force inside.

Sitton is too good to let go.

Agreed.. I think he will be reupped early in this season.. after we have the roster developed and don't need flexibility just in case.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

In my opinion, the biggest possible loss for us is Sitton for one very big reason: Rodgers. The single most important factor for us to compete for more Super Bowl titles over the next 5 years is keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy and Sitton has been by far our best lineman the last couple years. We need him to help insure the health of Rodgers. What Finley does can be--and has been--replaced by some of our other weapons. The same can not be said about the guys behind Sitton.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

This is right. Finley is indeed a unique talent. But a team doesn't need, and a team as overall talented as the Packers are at skill positions on offense, doesn't need that unique talent as much as it needs a line to protect its quarterback.

Lose Sitton and you ratchet up the likelihood that you lose Rodgers, too. And *that* hole is not fillable.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
olds70supreme
12 years ago
I think that Sitton adds more to the team, but that it would hurt to see Finley walk more. By that I mean that without Finley our receiving corps are already a high 9 out of 10. In fact they are so good that even as good as Finley is adding him to the mix only brings the total rating up a decimal point or two at most. I think our O-line is not nearly as talented, therefore even though Sitton is not a superstar he adds more to the team relative to Finley.

If one of these players left us for another team that we played it would hurt more if it was Finley for the same reason. By this I mean that Finley would be more likely to greatly improve the other team's receiving corps than Sitton would their O-line.
blank
DakotaT
12 years ago
To tell you the truth, if I had a choice of using the money that would go to Finley and buying a bookend for Clay or signing Finley; I'd buy the OLB.

I think Uncle Ted would pony up the cash for Finley, but deep down I see Finley wanting bright lights or possibly a star on his helmet. We'll see I guess, but I really won't lose any sleep over Finley one way or the other.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

Finley is probably not injury prone but he is injury unlucky. The only way for him to get big bucks is to have the numbers to justify the payout. The have been glimpses but nothing to warrant they payday. Hopefully this year.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think it is an understatement to just say that there have been "glimpses." Finley was very impressive during the 2009 season, especially toward the end, and in the playoff game he ran up a yardage total that was second only to Kellen Winslow for TE's in the playoffs. Then in the first five games of 2010, he was even better. There will be talk of re-upping him around the halfway point of the season, I think.

As for the WRs, I think some people are assuming that Ted has a very rigid plan. I agree with Pack93z that flexibility is what Ted is really after, and with Jones back in the fold, he has that. Nobody knows what kind of market there will be for Nelson next year, so when it became apparent that the market for Jones was unexpectedly weak, Ted got him signed. It's all about playing the percentages, because there are no guarantees.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I think it is an understatement to just say that there have been "glimpses." Finley was very impressive during the 2009 season, especially toward the end, and in the playoff game he ran up a yardage total that was second only to Kellen Winslow for TE's in the playoffs. Then in the first five games of 2010, he was even better. There will be talk of re-upping him around the halfway point of the season, I think.

As for the WRs, I think some people are assuming that Ted has a very rigid plan. I agree with Pack93z that flexibility is what Ted is really after, and with Jones back in the fold, he has that. Nobody knows what kind of market there will be for Nelson next year, so when it became apparent that the market for Jones was unexpectedly weak, Ted got him signed. It's all about playing the percentages, because there are no guarantees.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

1 good season in 3 is a little more than a glimpse, I know, but it is not much more. He certainly had a great 5 games last year but 5 games does not a season make. 5 games does equal a glimpse.

So if you want to split hairs what term is slightly more than a glimpse? A glance? A peek? A gander?

Point is Finley has not shown his full ability due to injuries. (Call it whatever you like). If he goes down in week 7, even week 9, this year I don't see Ted giving him a contract that will set new records for a TE no matter how well he plays in the games prior to the hypothetical injury. I doubt he would realistically be compared to the top TE in the league other than to say "he has the potential to be one of the greats" which implies that as of now (at the end of the 2011 season) he is not.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Finley's production for the last 12.5 games that he has been healthy is fairly impressive.

If you project it out over a full season, it is around 100 catches and 1300 yards. In the 4.5 games last season he was on pace for roughly 100 catches and 1500 yards.

For a TE, that is kind of a lot.

That injury thing is huge. Like he said, he NEEDS a 16 game season.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (9h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.