wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

For now, at least, the Green Bay Packers own perhaps the most disjointed roster in their history.

Pending the possible addition of a center-guard off waivers, the Packers will have more tight ends and linebackers and fewer offensive linemen and running backs than they've ever had since the 53-man roster went into effect in 1993.

"It's an interesting makeup," a personnel director another National Football League team said Saturday night. "But they have to claim an offensive lineman. Then one of those heavy positions has to fall."

The Packers moved 27 players off the roster by the Saturday deadline of 5 p.m., including the release of quarterback Graham Harrell and 22 other players. They also traded fullback Quinn Johnson and rookie guard Caleb Schlauderaff and placed two rookies on injured reserve.

As it stands, the club has merely 24 players on offense, two fewer than their average of 25.9 from 1993-2010, and 26 on defense.

The Packers got there by keeping record (post-1992) highs at tight end (five) and linebacker (10) and record lows in the offensive line (eight) and running back (four).

If the Packers are awarded an interior offensive linemen Sunday afternoon, a tight end, linebacker, cornerback or safety could be in jeopardy.

"Everybody always keeps one, maybe two extra that you're not overly excited about but you have to keep until you see the waiver wire," an NFL executive said.

Teams officially were notified of all cuts early Saturday night. They have until 11 a.m. Sunday to put in waiver claims. Shortly thereafter, the league will notify teams if they've been awarded a player or players.

Unlike last summer, general manager Ted Thompson at least was able to get something for two players. A year ago, the Packers failed to make a trade, then had five of their players claimed on waivers and another signed as a free agent a few days later.

Johnson, a four-year veteran, was traded to the Tennessee Titans for what was announced as an undisclosed draft choice. A source said the pick was in the seventh round and is conditional on Johnson's contributions in Tennessee.

The Titans needed a fullback because their starter, Ahmard Hall, has been suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

"I wouldn't say Johnson had much value," another NFL personnel director said. "He was one-dimensional. More of a blocking fullback than he is a pass-catching fullback. He competes. Strong player."

At the same time, the Packers announced the trade of Schlauderaff to the New York Jets for an undisclosed draft choice. A sixth-round draft pick, Schlauderaff appeared to have little or no chance to make the team.

The Jets liked Schlauderaff before the draft and also intend to try him at center. He becomes one of nine offensive linemen in New York but one of them, guard Rob Turner, is out for about two months with a broken leg.

"We did some work on him today," a scout for another team said. "He was one of the guys we had targeted (on waivers). Little bit undersized but he definitely will get after you and be physical. I liked that."

The Packers' decision to keep five tight ends was "amazing," another scout said.

"Four would be the most a team has carried," he said. "Very interesting. That's heavy."

jsonline wrote:

more online 

UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago
*correction: Quinn Johnson is not a four-year veteran. He was drafted in '09. C'mon JSonline ... lern yo shiz
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Tezzy
12 years ago

*correction: Quinn Johnson is not a four-year veteran. He was drafted in '09. C'mon JSonline ... lern yo shiz

Originally Posted by: evad04 

Glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head when I read that.

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
12 years ago
To boldly form rosters no man has formed before.

UserPostedImage
blank
Dulak
12 years ago
So this is all for ST???
lets hope we finally got someone that can run with the ball - and not our star receiver or CB ;)

still not sold on the hands down thing but whatever ...

Greg C.
12 years ago
It seems like we read this article every year after roster cuts. Thompson usually goes heavy at one or two positions and light at one or two others. The five TEs is definitely interesting, though.

The only fairly big surprise for me was the Quinn Johnson cut. If John Kuhn stays healthy, it won't be an issue, but I don't like the idea of plugging a TE into the FB spot if Kuhn gets hurt. I assume that Crabtree and Taylor will be getting a lot of work in practice at the FB spot now.

I wasn't too surprised that Ted stuck with just the five WRs, though. The problem with six is that if you're going to keep that extra one you would want him to play special teams, and that would mean having six WRs on the 46-player game-day roster. You would have to sacrifice depth at another position to do that.

Another surprise (a mild one, at least) is that Frank Zombo, Brad Jones, Vic So'oto, and Jamari Lattimore all stuck. I expected either Zombo to go on IR or one of the other three to be gone.

It's good that Underwood is gone. Too many off-field problems, and he was never impressive on the field anyway. M.D. Jennings seems like a scrapper--a Charlie Peprah type.

I was thinking Josh Gordy would beat out Pat Lee for that last CB spot, but it was pretty much a toss-up. Lee is a little more physical, I'll say that for him.

I'm fine with 8 OL's. The backups were terrible. Even the three they kept looked unimpressive in the preseason. There's a good chance Ted picks one up after waivers anyway and then cuts one of the OLBs.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago
I am not convinced that this is even close to the final 53.. the oddities of the makeup in counts make it so.. although some of that will depend upon whom they sneak through to the PS.

One has to believe that there is a move or two in the works.. the depth at inside OL is actually the most unsettling part as the article notates. DL overall numbers would be concern #2, one injury would tremendously impact any rotation over the course of a couple of games. Yes Dom could scheme around it, just seems one light but there again, Pickett, Raji, and Green allow for much flexibility. Call it gun shy on Neal at this point..

That said... I can understand with the decreased numbers of DL to increase the LB count, especially when Zombo wouldn't be ready for a couple of weeks. IMO, Jones better step up his game early in the season.. otherwise he might be the first move made at another position. If he gets the chance.. and I am a Jones fan.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
12 years ago

It's good that Underwood is gone. Too many off-field problems, and he was never impressive on the field anyway. M.D. Jennings seems like a scrapper--a Charlie Peprah type.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I like Jennings as a player.. I just think he needs one year of development (weight room mostly, add bulk) before holding down a roster spot. Bratton and Levine looked more the part physically.. I thought they would move all three and hold to reink one or more to the PS.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I am not convinced that this is even close to the final 53.. the oddities of the makeup in counts make it so.. although some of that will depend upon whom they sneak through to the PS.

One has to believe that there is a move or two in the works.. the depth at inside OL is actually the most unsettling part as the article notates. DL overall numbers would be concern #2, one injury would tremendously impact any rotation over the course of a couple of games. Yes Dom could scheme around it, just seems one light but there again, Pickett, Raji, and Green allow for much flexibility. Call it gun shy on Neal at this point..

That said... I can understand with the decreased numbers of DL to increase the LB count, especially when Zombo wouldn't be ready for a couple of weeks. IMO, Jones better step up his game early in the season.. otherwise he might be the first move made at another position. If he gets the chance.. and I am a Jones fan.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade from one of the areas of strength, like TE. And then pick up another player for the OL.

I am not worried about having only 6 DL. They only used 2 DL in 70% of their plays last year. A 7th lineman is an unnecessary luxury. If Neal doesn't respond to treatment and ends up on the DL, they can pick up a replacement who will see very little playing time. Plus Wynn seems to have stepped up this year. Neal may have a difficult time getting on the field.

I agreed Jones may be one of the first to be moved if he doesn't perform. Then again wouldn't it be great if they could get something in return for him? I would not want to see any of the other LB traded at this time.
UserPostedImage
packer98
12 years ago
This current rooster is far from a team trying to repeat as SB champs. Ted Thompson tries too many times too find diamonds in the rough. At this current state Rodgers will be running for his life and the only out side pressure we will have is Matthews in which they will double up on, because the other side is weak. Weak line-up at this current state.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (18h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (18h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (22h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (22h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.