Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'm a boomer!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
Why do we feel the need to point the finger of blame all upon the “Boomers”?

Does my generation not have a say in the world today? Problem simply is; we don’t have the stones to do a damn thing about it.

Throwing the “Greatest Generation” under the bus is nonsense, so be it they spawned the Boomers… they had it right in so many areas were we as a country now have it wrong.

They built the economy on material goods and trade, not on paper and technology .com type non tangible goods.

The workers of then had superior productivity to the workers of today, and I am personally guilty upon this front. While I do what is required plus a bit more, I certainly could be more productive as a whole. Without doubt. And I am not alone.. I see it everywhere I turn in today's workforce. Hell I seen it in the late 80's and early 90's... the work put it often was less than the wage earned.

They had enough forethought to understand that if they build it here and buy it from here; they will keep balance in our national economy. They didn’t look for every shortcut to save a penny now by shipping the labor out of the country or buying imported good to construct “American Made” products. Sooner or later, as that becomes more and more unbalanced, there will be a lack of customers overall to purchase said product because they won’t have a employment source that provides enough to purchase.

They saved more than they spent; they avoided over leveraging themselves upon every front. I challenge one to look at 10 folks of my generation or even the boomers and find 2 that aren’t in debt up to their eyeballs.

As Foster noted, they stopped two of the biggest worldwide threats on foreign turf; and the folks back here had enough common sense to honor them in place of minimizing their sacrifices as “just a job” or worse yet booing them upon return.

If my generation is so damn good, how come we haven’t fixed the Boomers wrongs while we are in our prime years? Probably because we are too busy blaming the Boomers or looking for a way to undermine the WII generation to actually devote the time, energy and resources to fixing the issue.

First and foremost, this political model of today, with all its morphing over the generations is broken beyond repair, my generation could put our collective foot down and stop the nonsense… yet we spend countless hours infighting broken party against broken party in place of ending the madness that this two party greed driven system has become. Neither party is for the people… they are for getting their party reelected in place serving the people they claim to serve.

Don’t mistake my points as agreeing with all aspects of the previous generations, I think they had a ton of issues of their own, racism and workplace inequality being mentioned previous… but I find it wrong to try and pin the wrongs of today on those of yesteryear. If my generation was as smart and motivated as we talk, we would have learned from the good of yesterday and improved upon the bad… yet here we sit and the best we have is to lay all the blame upon their feet.

Just all I hear from my generation is one victim statement upon the next... how about we actually make a stand and correct the wrongs.

Sorriest part, this is still one of the best countries on the planet to call home. If we could get our shit together, start worrying more about taking care of our own infrastructure, population and good of the nation we could improve the quality of this nation two fold.

No generation is without flaw.. even my generation, the victims. Hell we are raising the next generation, O as Zombie coins, enough said.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Actually, Shawn, as an empirical matter, productivity is higher in Gens X and Y than it was for either boomer or the "greatest" gens.

Arguably us oldsters, and definitely our parents, worked "harder". But Gens X and Y -- because they're bringing more tech and human capital to bear -- are more productive per unit of time or per person. Quite a bit so, in fact.

And that doesn't even account for the high proportion of Boomers who practice in professions like politicking and professoring and lawyering that are more about transferring value from one pocket to another than about actually producing new value.

p.s. Thanks for your post. It reminds me that I need to go dig out some productivity numbers for a class meeting about three weeks from now. (I love economic numbers, but I often procrastinate in actually working with specifics, since it invariably takes more time than my lazy ass wants to spend on work.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
12 years ago

Actually, Shawn, as an empirical matter, productivity is higher in Gens X and Y than it was for either boomer or the "greatest" gens.

Arguably us oldsters, and definitely our parents, worked "harder". But Gens X and Y -- because they're bringing more tech and human capital to bear -- are more productive per unit of time or per person. Quite a bit so, in fact.

And that doesn't even account for the high proportion of Boomers who practice in professions like politicking and professoring and lawyering that are more about transferring value from one pocket to another than about actually producing new value.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I will concede that I should not have used productivity as a point.. whereas I should have stuck to raw effort and work ethic put forth.

Thank you for the correction.

Now get to work on your stats. :-"
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
12 years ago
That was a very nice compliment, Non. I cannot imagine trying to teach a young 'un Latin in this day of distractions, that sounds like a good home. I'm good with the thought that some of my posts are contemplated by the cognoscenti- you already know who you are, and I most definitely reciprocate, no matter your chronological "generation." 👍
DakotaT
12 years ago

That was a very nice compliment, Non. I cannot imagine trying to teach a young 'un Latin in this day of distractions, that sounds like a good home. I'm good with the thought that some of my posts are contemplated by the cognoscenti- you already know who you are, and I most definitely reciprocate, no matter your chronological "generation." 👍

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Yeah, yeah, we respect your old gunny ass too. I'll do shots with you anytime, and you can explain how you are able to kill with only using your thumbs.

Doesn't change the fact those hippies turned yuppies are nothing buy shitheads.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
12 years ago

My problem with the "greatest generation" is that we have to listen to the problems of the Great Depression ad nauseum. Times are worse now than ever and we all get up and plug along. My problem with the Boomers is that you guys haven't improved anything. The world went into a shithole on your watch. Take some fuckin resposnibility for it.

As for you military guys - aren't you just doing your jobs, whether drafted or enlisted? Courage is subjective - one might say getting up every morning to go to a job you absolutely hate to support a family takes courage.

You can't judge Gen X or Y yet cause all power and money lie with the WWII generation and the Boomers. World's pretty fucked up, what are you all going to do about. Phil Collins said in a lyric "Land of Confusion" that his generation will make it right. Well we're waiting.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You have a great point, but things are relative, imo.

Honest to God as my witness, I almost cry at the extraordinary pieces of luck that got me to the age 20 in the Marines. I'm 56, and shit didn't exactly improve. I don't do war stories, but I swear on my mother's grave that "my story" is both profound and common in the Marine Corps infantry. That's no job, that's a commitment, and the pay / bennies never entered into the picture (in a serious way) with us. I think you actually need to hear some Regimental commander on some boat tell you to "seize and hold your position or die in place trying" to habla the perspective. That cold rush of shit to your heart isn't all that easy to convey to others. It's just the truth, you can buy it or not. It is my experience in life.

Just a job? As one small example, try and bounce that concept off Jon Tumlison's dog (Hawkeye) ...he would not leave. (as I pet my doodle faithfully by my side)

http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about1871264.html 

I again aplogize for ranting about this, but I passionately hate the "just a job" talk... I owe it to many not able to set you straight because they are no longer here to just "let it go." Sorry. On that note-

I have a chicken pot-pie in the oven with an actual crust base and top. Chicken pot-pie in Pennsylvania doesn't have a pie base or top-crust. There is no crust whatsoever. No bakery product at all in the so-called "pie". I'm not making that up. These people are weird, but they get a waiver because they got exposed to radiation when three mile island went south on them and screwed 'em up.
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Good stuff by all parties here, but I think I'm closest to Dakota.

You can call me Don Quixote as maybe I have done too much research and gone nuts. But my research has said that the baby boomers fucked up the country to the point that it is possibly not repairable.

I don't get defensive of my generation either. We're shitty parents and produced spoiled rotten (and obese) kids. We're pretty ignorant about what goes on in the world today while knowing pop culture like the back of our hands.

However, the damage we have done pales in comparison to the baby boomers. So I reiterate that all the great things the generation that survived WWII did was wiped out giving birth to the baby boomers. Our Constitution? Gone. Baby boomers. The economy? Gone. Baby boomers.

Sad thing are neither are coming back.

Of course sending someone to the moon with computers the size of Texas but having less power than my son's Trig calculator was an impressive feat. But once again, completely pales in comparison to Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, George Washington, Thomas Paine, and Benjamin Franklin. Now, they were the greatest generation. EVERY SINGLE THING THEY PREDICTED AND WARNED US ABOUT CAME TRUE. How could people with funny wigs from the late 1700s know exactly how this country would turn out hundreds of years later?

And bravery? Yes, the good folks who fought in WWII were brave. Not one bit disputing that. But had we lost the Revolutionary War, our Founding Fathers would have been tortured and killed and their families would have had their lands confiscated and would have died in poverty. Let's not kid ourselves. Japan and Germany weren't going to win WWII and America wouldn't be conquered. The Japanese knew it before WWII started, they were just afraid to admit it to their Emperor.

I can deal with my own death. I can't deal with my wife and son dying in poverty after I've been executed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (49m) : damn those vikings
beast (1h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (1h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (1h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (1h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (8h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (9h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.