nerdmann
12 years ago
Well THIS  doesn't sound good.

Sounds like the Wells situation is brewing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Hopefully this is just PFT doing its "stirring the pot" thing.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
12 years ago
Wade, for one, it's not PFT stirring the pot. If anything, it's Bob McGinn. Most of what PFT does is provide a summary of others articles.

Either way, if Wells truly is being so bitter with his "long memory" than I'm annoyed at him. He got beat out a few years ago. This if the NFL. No one is entitled to a starting job. It has to be earned and with time Wells has done just that. I'm not sure why he feels it's personal. As a 7th round undersized center, one is going to have to continually prove himself. If he is truly taking anything that has happened throughout his career personal, perhaps it's best he moves on. There will be plenty of other free agent centers, several as good or better than Wells anyway, if need be.

An interesting quote from an AFC scout from the article:

"You can win with Scott Wells," the scout said. "I just don't think you can with five Scott Wells."

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Wade, for one, it's not PFT stirring the pot. If anything, it's Bob McGinn. Most of what PFT does is provide a summary of others articles.

Either way, if Wells truly is being so bitter with his "long memory" than I'm annoyed at him. He got beat out a few years ago. This if the NFL. No one is entitled to a starting job. It has to be earned and with time Wells has done just that. I'm not sure why he feels it's personal. As a 7th round undersized center, one is going to have to continually prove himself. If he is truly taking anything that has happened throughout his career personal, perhaps it's best he moves on. There will be plenty of other free agent centers, several as good or better than Wells anyway, if need be.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

That's one thing that concerns me about Arodge too. Not that he takes it personal as a grudge against the team, but he uses all that crap as "motivation."

As for Wells, they talk about how great he is with the line calls and picking up blitzes and stuff. That's great, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. Although I'm not convinced we've got another starter on the roster right now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
GB could certainly use Wells. Wells would benefit from playing with Rodgers. They can still get the deal done. Uncle Teddy will not overpay for him. If it hurts his feelings, Oh Wells.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

After all Wells has gone through in Green Bay

Bob McGinn wrote:

WTF? How do men making multiple millions of dollars per year hold on to their victimization mentalities with such tenacity? So people aren't throwing themselves at your feet to worship you and give you gratuitous fellatio. Does that really mean you have been slighted?

Packers players must spend too much time on Packers' fan sites. They all seem to think they are elite talents. Well, if that were the case, they should have steamrolled through the playoffs this year.

If some other team wants to overpay a former Packers' offensive lineman, let them. We can all see how far that got the Arizona Cardinals this year.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Ah, but what is the likelihood that the Packers will pursue a free agent center? If the Packers aren't willing to "overpay" for Wells, who has been a critical part of *their* roster, what is the likelihood they will overpay for an even better center? IMO, slim and none.

Wells right now is arguably the Packers' second best OL, at arguably the second most important OL position.

If he goes,then the Packers have another hole to fill. A hole that I for one would not want to have to rely on a rookie -- any rookie -- to fill.

The more holes the Packers have, the greater the likelihood that one or more of them is dependent on hitting a home-run on a late-run draft pick. Right now I count three serious holes on defense (DE, LB, S) for sure, and (though I know people disagree on this last) a need for another starter-quality OL even if Wells stays. Add in the need to improve OL and DL backups, to pick up a backup quarterback, and you're asking a damn lot out of the draft.

I guess I don't care that much whether Wells is holding a grudge for being dissed X years ago or not. What I care about is whether they lose a key free agent or not in a year when they've got some serious holes to fill already.

Because I have very little confidence that Ted Thompson will make a first tier FA signing. It's simply not his MO. He doesn't overpay -- he looks for bargains and "value-for-money". How many free agent OL during his tenure have signed anywhere in the league as a "bargain"? How many free agent OL during his tenure have not been "overpaid" by his criteria?

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
12 years ago
I disagree that Uncle Ted doesn't overpay, because he did with AJ Hawk, Brandon Chiller, and at the time Brady Poppinga. Ryan Pickett is overpayed for being a run stuffer only.

I don't think Wells has the leverage he thinks he does. 290 lb centers at age 31 are not coveted by teams. He's a decent player but not even close to a top five center.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
12 years ago

If some other team wants to overpay a former Packers' offensive lineman, let them. We can all see how far that got the Arizona Cardinals this year.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Wells and Colledge are completely different players. Wells was a top five center last year... so it's justified for him to ask that kind of money. Whether it's right for Ted to give it to him, that's completely different.

Everyone knew Colledge sucked (well except for Zero2Cool and Daryn's wife) when he left. Wells is a great center.

I'd hate to see him leave, but we may have to let him walk.
This is a placeholder
DoddPower
12 years ago
Wade, I don't think it's likely he would sign another free agent center, but if Wells leaves butt hurt we may be forced to, or at least one that is willing to sign for slightly cheaper than Wells. The main point is that the free agent class is pretty damn nice at center this season. If for whatever reason something can't be worked out with Wells, we're not screwed. Ted would have at least a couple of other options. Who knows, perhaps he thinks another option is way better than Wells? Perhaps another center will be willing to accept what money Ted deems him to be worth. There's no way to know, but if Wells leave, he will have many other options. None of them may happen, but that will be a decisive decision not necessarily a forced one.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.