play2win
11 years ago
When news of his suspension came out I assumed it was for the juice. If this is simply for Adderall, prescribed, the league has got to reverse his suspension. I take back my comments previously posted, and hope like hell the kid can move forward and contribute this season - for a full season without suspension. Ridiculous.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago

If it's true that it was only for Adderall--and he had a legal prescription for it--I would hope the suspension would be lifted, regardless of what player and/or team it is. Yes, he should have known better and made sure it was OK officially through the League, but an oversight such as that is not worth of a four game suspension, in my opinion. I think , at worst, one game would be sufficient, if anything. A fine would likely be more appropriate. I think Neal has more than learned his lesson by now. If the NFL starts suspending players for 25% of the season for taking medications a licensed physician prescribed for a perceived medical disorder, then they're stepping over the line. Regardless of ones thoughts on the legitimacy of his disorder and the medication itself, the reality is that some people truly do benefit from this medication. It is not the NFL's place to place judgement on the reasoning of Neal taking the medication.

As I said, if Neal's side of the story is true, then I think four games is truly FAR too severe. Fine him heavily or suspend him one game, at most. PFT posted an article about another player that recently had a similar issue and the suspension was lifted upon appeal. Hopefully there's nothing else to the story and the same will happen with Neal. Regardless of whether he'll ever make an impact on this team, he deserves a chance to fight for a roster spot, given his story.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

This.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DoddPower
11 years ago
Here's a quote from the article about the other player who had his suspension lifted upon appeal:

Giants running back Andre Brown said last week that his own four-game suspension for using Adderall was lifted on appeal. Neal said he’s hoping to win an appeal as well, and hoping that he’ll be on the field for Week One.

"PFT  wrote:

Good luck, Mike.
To relate this to another situation, J. Simpson of the Vikings only got suspended 3 games and lost a game check for actually being arrested and serving jail time. I'll shake my head to that.

In the grand scheme of things, receiver Jerome Simpson escaped his conviction for receiving a large amount of pot at his home with a pop on the wrist.

He has a new job with the Vikings, he’s drawing rave reviews with his new team, he got a blink-and-you-missed-it jail sentence, and he officially has been suspended only three games by the NFL.

The league announced the decision today. Along with the suspension, Simpson will be fined a game check. Cont.

"PFT  wrote:

If Neal has a case, then the NFL has some adjustments to make.

If a player suffers from an issue such as ADD, then their medical staff should be aware of this. If that is the case, then the team and the NFL should have a mechanism in the policy to account for the substance in their system and still allow the player to be the one to determine if that should be public knowledge.

Not a testing program in which the player has no choice but to disclaim his condition to fight the testing process.

Now, if Neal has not disclosed his condition to the teams doctors, then I have little issue with the process escalating as such.

IMO, if the claims are true, his 4 game rip should be at minimum reduced.. but if it was a case where he didn't disclose it, then I think he should still at least serve a game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
11 years ago

If Neal has a case, then the NFL has some adjustments to make.

If a player suffers from an issue such as ADD, then their medical staff should be aware of this. If that is the case, then the team and the NFL should have a mechanism in the policy to account for the substance in their system and still allow the player to be the one to determine if that should be public knowledge.

Not a testing program in which the player has no choice but to disclaim his condition to fight the testing process.

Now, if Neal has not disclosed his condition to the teams doctors, then I have little issue with the process escalating as such.

IMO, if the claims are true, his 4 game rip should be at minimum reduced.. but if it was a case where he didn't disclose it, then I think he should still at least serve a game.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

The only explanation I have is that maybe there's more to the story. But if there is, I'd sure like to hear it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
11 years ago
I'm failing to see, even if there is more to the story, how Jerome Simpson, someone who was arrested for drugs and served some jail time, received less discipline than Neal. If he's going to be overly-strict, make it across the board.
Yerko
11 years ago

RT @ZachHeilprin: Mike Neal says he has been cleared by NFL to take Adderall for ADD. still not sure if he can appeal his suspension again.

So if they cleared the drug that he was previously suspended for, why would his suspension be upheld or not minimized? I guess I can understand some sort of suspension sticking because he didn't follow the guidelines (whatever they are) for reporting prescription drugs being taken.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Something doesn't seem right here. The suspension doesn't seem consistent with the past, it actually appears discriminatory when compared with Brown and Simpson. I can understand imposing the suspension because it gives the commish a chance to talk to the player on appeal. But unless there's more to it, the suspension should have been lifted already. I hope Neal can take it to court, if neccesary, because at this point it looks unjust.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
By no means, am I saying I agree with it, but when you fail a drug test, it's an automatic 4 game suspension. The violators of the personal conduct policy are subject to punishment by Roger Goodell. Which, I think is bogus that one man has that much power/control.

Mike Neal wasn't suspended because he took an ADD medication.
Mike Neal failed a drug test and that's why he was suspended.
Mike Neal is claiming he failed the drug test because of the ADD medication and if true, I feel the suspension should be lifted and he should get a nice 5 figure fine for negligence.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (11h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (12h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (12h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (12h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.