DoddPower
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Josh Sitton joked about it at first, but the Green Bay Packers Pro Bowl guard wasn't joking when he was asked if his friend and linemate, left tackle Bryan Bulaga, should really try to play with what NFL sources have said is a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

Sitton, who played next to Bulaga on the right side from 2010 through 2012 before the Packers switched up their offensive line and moved both men to the left side this offseason, said he didn't even know Bulaga had hurt himself during Saturday night's annual Family Night Scrimmage at Lambeau Field. Bulaga played roughly 30 snaps in the scrimmage, and coach Mike McCarthy said Bulaga suffered the injury on the seventh play.

"He looked good the entire time. I know he played a good number of plays with it hurt, so he looked fine to me. He made all of blocks," Sitton said. "I think he should just brace it up and play."

That's apparently what Bulaga is at least considering doing, as he sought a second opinion on the diagnosis — reportedly from renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews — and the Packers haven't officially ruled him out for the season.

But when asked if he thought Bulaga should in fact brace up the knee and play, Sitton turned serious.

"If he does try to go? I would think he's stupid," Sitton said. "He's got a career to worry about. It's not just about this year when you have something like that, so it would be dumb. But to go however many plays he went with it, whatever it is, he's a tough son of a bitch."

Asked if he thought Bulaga could really play with a torn ACL, Sitton replied, "I don't have a clue. I'm not a doctor. I have no clue. I didn't look at his MRI."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

I agree.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Nobody wants him to risk his career, but if the doctors say there is no risk of it getting worse from normal use, and if he wants to give it a try, and if he can play without diminished quality, a LOT of ifs, then let him go for it. He wouldn't be the first who played with a torn ACL.

I read that a partial tear is not always debilitating and not likely to get worse. Yet the treatment for a partial tear is the same as for a complete tear - total reconstruction of the knee. There is risk that way too, and a sure thing of being out a long long time.

If he decides to play, I HOPE he gets support rather than criticism, and no bullshit about liability issues, etc.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Dulak
10 years ago
well here is to hoping the news isn't as bad as it seems ... and no idea how acl tears work and recovery; just know that people have a rough time (al harris etc)

I hope he can play (like the guy; we need him vs the bears :)

nerdmann
10 years ago
I thought they might consider this.

We'll see what Andrews says. John Elway played his whole career missing two ligaments, iirc.

Then again, he wasn't a LT.

As I've posted before, structure isn't the same as functionality. As an acupuncturist, I could give him functionality, but I would also strongly caution that he let the structural integrity get right.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Pack93z
10 years ago

John Elway played his whole career missing two ligaments, iirc.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I thought Elway played out a season, his last, with a torn ligament in his arm / bicep... Reggie White willed himself to play a season through injury as well.

Off to google to see what those were..

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
10 years ago
White - Wasn't a season..

It was December 3, 1995 when the late-great Reggie White left the game against Cincinnati with was viewed as a possible season-ending hamstring injury. But they called it a miracle. The Cincinnati Bengals (5-7 at the time), took a 10-3 half time lead against a Packers (8-4 at the time) team that would eventually reach the NFC Championship game. Cincinnati wouldn't score again and Jeff Black threw two fourth quarter interceptions, giving the Packers an eventual 24-10 win. [Note: Only one of 10 possessions during the game did Cincinnati's offense generate more than 20 yards]

Reggie White left the game and Jay Sorgi of 620 WTMJ writes, missed the following week against Tampa Bay. Then he was recovered.

"I can't explain it. I can't explain why it didn't hurt as bad as it it," explained White about White's incredible return to action less than two weeks after the injury..

"Don't ask me to explain all this. You can't explain it, really," said his coach Mike Holmgren.

Source  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
I was wrong about the ACL on Elway.. Advantage Nerd. Learned something today.. lol.

Elway has been playing without an anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He completely tore the ligament while making a cut during a high school football game.

Source  wrote:

Speaking of "Pack93" hahahaha, don't forget the Gilbert Brown bicep when talking about toughing it out.

From the news put out so far, it doesn't seem to even be at that "toughing out" point - Bulaga apparently feels normal enough to play without pain or sacrifice - any more than any NFL player feels. The question is whether there is risk of it getting worse or doing permanent harm. I'm thinking 60/40 he plays the season, 70/30 he tests it in at least one preseason game.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Whenever I hear this kind of "toughing it out" talk with a major injury, I think back to the "hurricane game" against Chicago several years ago.

At halftime of that game, two Bears were honored. Two of the greatest Bears ever. Two of the three Bears I can honestly say I was a major fan of. One whose career was ended by an ACL tear (Gayle Sayers). The other who may have been one of the 2 or 3 toughest players I've ever seen play (Dick Butkus).

Sayers' walk still hinted at that amazing smoothness he had when running. Butkus? He looked like someone who needed a walker trying to walk without one.

I know, people are going to tell me that sports medicine has improved by leaps and bounds since the days Sayers and Butkus played. And it has.

But that is more a matter of people being able to rehab/take the field earlier, than it is a matter of ensuring that the abuse of "playing injured" won't lead to today's players looking like Butkus.

If the Packers can get to the last few games of the season without Bulaga, then they're going to be able to get through the Super Bowl without him.

Put him on IR and be done with it. It's the right thing to do.

Mike, don't let yourself even be tempted to emulate that other Mike, the one in DC.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
olds70supreme
10 years ago
Does a partially torn ACL put the other 'CLS at higher risk? If not, I say let him play unless Andrews says not to for some other reason. As stated, if he plays he risks the surgery and being lost for the season; if he sits he guarantees it.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (6h) : damn those vikings
beast (7h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (7h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (7h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (7h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (14h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (15h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.