Zero2Cool
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — When the Green Bay Packers return to the practice field on Thursday after the Christmas holiday, they will know whether quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be their starter for Sunday's winner-take-call NFC North showdown with the Chicago Bears.

But there was no decision reached Tuesday, despite Rodgers having had his left collarbone scanned "within the last 24 hours" and the team hoping to make the call early in the week.

"We've done a scan and we're going through the process of evaluation. Probably not what everybody wants to hear, but I can say definitively 🔛 Thursday — one way or another — it will be a definitive conclusion to this week's unknown," Rodgers said on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN and ESPN Wisconsin . "We wanted to give everybody a rest for Christmas, be able to enjoy their Christmas."

Rodgers suffered a fractured left collarbone Nov. 4 against the Bears and has missed the last seven games. He started practicing on a limited basis four weeks ago, has been pain-free for about two weeks and had hoped to get medical clearance for each of the past two games. The Packers are 2-5-1 since Rodgers' injury, which occurred on the opening series of their 27-20 loss to the Bears.

If Rodgers does not get the go-ahead, Matt Flynn would start his fifth straight game. Since relieving Scott Tolzien and rallying the Packers to a 26-26 tie against Minnesota on Nov. 24, Flynn has led the Packers to four fourth-quarter comebacks, including in last Sunday's loss to Pittsburgh. The Packers are 2-2 with Flynn as the starter.

The Packers did not practice Tuesday — they had a walkthrough session before having Christmas Eve and all of Christmas Day off — but the players are clearly hopeful of Rodgers' return.

"Gut feeling? That Christmas is tomorrow," veteran wide receiver James Jones said. "I don't know. I think we will get some good news."

Rodgers wouldn't reveal the results of his scan but certainly seemed upbeat during the 45-minute show.

"I'm feeling better and not thinking about my injury at all," Rodgers said. "I think ultimately it comes down to, it's big on the medical side. Is the bone healed or is there a large risk of going back out there that's too great, that the organization would not want to put me out there?

"Obviously I want to be out there. I know what's at stake. This is an important week for us. We're somehow back in this position to be able to get into the playoffs. What a better way to do that than against the Chicago Bears?"

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said on Monday that the team wanted to make a decision on Rodgers' status early in the week and let his teammates know the plan then. Until now, the Packers have not announced their decisions on Rodgers' status each week until Friday, when he has been ruled out.

"I think No. 1 for the football team and also Aaron Rodgers, I think it's important for us to make a quicker decision," McCarthy said. "This has obviously been frustrating and stressful for Aaron, rightfully so, but also our football [team]. I want them to know who the quarterback's going to be.

"This is something I think clearly after seeing Aaron practice for two weeks, this is something [general manager] Ted Thompson and I need to sit down and we need to assess all the information and to decide if it's time for him to play. Aaron wants to play, has wanted to play for the last couple of weeks. He fully accepts [and] understands everything going on with his injury, so this is really a decision for Ted Thompson and I, representing the organization. That's how it works."

Team physician Patrick McKenzie happened to be in the Packers' locker room during the media availability session on Tuesday. (Interviews with McKenzie are strictly forbidden by club rules.)

"I thought as of last week there'd be a lot more healing that would have gone on," Rodgers said. "Learned a lot about the clavicle and the kind of blood flow or lack of that it gets as being a reason it didn't look as good as we all wanted it last week."

If Rodgers does play, he said he is not concerned about being rusty despite having missed the past seven games. The longest layoff Rodgers has ever had as a starter came at the end of the 2011 season, when he sat out the meaningless regular-season finale and the No. 1-seeded Packers had a bye week before losing in the NFC Divisional Playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl-champion New York Giants at Lambeau Field.

"I've been focusing on my conditioning a lot, doing some extra conditioning, making sure my wind is good. But it's about taking the reps in practice and finding that timing and rhythm," said Rodgers, who before the collarbone injury had missed only one game due to injury since becoming the starter in 2008 — a concussion in 2010. "I've played a lot of football, so I don't think there's a major hurdle to get over and to get back and be effective. To me it's always come down to preparation. Do I feel confident in the plan, confident in my ability to execute the plan? If I do, then I expect to play well on Sunday."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
Micheal Rodney  has a source that says to expect Rodgers back this week.

Me, I'm not getting my hopes up until 10 weeks after injury.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago

Micheal Rodney  has a source that says to expect Rodgers back this week.

Me, I'm not getting my hopes up until 10 weeks after injury.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I have a source that tells me Uncle Ted is a complete fool. This same source thinks $10 an hour is righteous bucks and you can lead a happy go lucky life on that kind of moolah! So much for sources. [palm]

UserPostedImage
10 years ago
Am I the only one who wrote down Aaron Rodgers on their Christmas list to Santa?
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

Am I the only one who wrote down Aaron Rodgers on their Christmas list to Santa?

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

You know its weird but my girlfriend did and she doesn't even watch football. 🤷
mi_keys
10 years ago

You know its weird but my girlfriend did and she doesn't even watch football. 🤷

Originally Posted by: sschind 

In all fairness to your girlfriend, so did I and I'm not even gay.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (3h) : damn those vikings
beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (11h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.